MSc p/t and working - anyone else managed?

(11 Posts)
Mags11 Wed 26-Feb-14 13:50:29

Hi all
I work full time, 2 DCs 6 and 8, single parent.
I would really like to do an MSc in Building but I would need to do it part time. So apart for the other hurdles (funding, current employer agreeing) has anyone managed to do this part time and juggle family and work? I am worried I would be out of my depth and by brain wouldn't cope...

Any comments appreciated

MichaelFinnigan Wed 26-Feb-14 13:54:01

I'm doing one. I don't manage to get much work done, mine's distance learning

Mags11 Wed 26-Feb-14 14:06:54

Thanks MF. How are you finding distance learning? I imagine you have to be very organised and disciplined. I'm not sure I'd work so well without the structure of lectures etc

mysteryfairy Wed 26-Feb-14 22:06:35

I did a masters, not science, whilst working and with three DC. Im not a single parent but dh works away in the week - i know this isnt exactly comparable but i did do everything at home in the week too and study late at night. Looking back I'm astounded that I managed it but at the time I just got on with it.

Crumbsinmytoaster Wed 26-Feb-14 22:17:08

Mags, how many days do you have to attend lectures for? Can you ask your employer to allocate a few hours for study time ad part of your personal development?

littleblackno Wed 26-Feb-14 22:21:51

I'm doing a post grad dip at the moment I'm a single parent with kids the same ages as yours. My employer is funding it but won't give me time off so I have to use my holiday.
it's bloody hard work and stressfull but doable. Takes alot of motivation and when an essay is in full flow I can just about get clean uniform together but not much else!
I'm hoping it'll be worth it.

Funions Wed 26-Feb-14 22:28:08

Just started one. It's modular which helps, so I do an intensive fortnight, and then a few weeks off (with a bit of homework). I'm self-employed, so it's a bit tiring and I've had a couple of hairy moments trying to hit deadlines with assignments. Work/pay taking a bit of a hit this year, but it will be worth it to get the qualification and learning on the way.

sooperdooper Wed 26-Feb-14 22:47:11

I'm just looking into applying for one and thinking the same thing!

InpraiseofPolly Mon 03-Mar-14 14:43:08

I am coming to the end of first year part time Msc. have 2 older teenagers and Dh.
I work full time in a full on job.
It has been hard work! But I am living every minute of it. It's purely assignment based, but they certainly pile the work on. I have not got much time to read as much as I would like, but hope to catch up in the summer a bit. My employer has funded it , I feel very luck. Wish I had done it 10 yrs ago, when my poor brain was not so wizened grin

iseenodust Mon 03-Mar-14 14:54:47

I did an Masters p/t when working full-time. I found it doable because the course ran on a one day a week basis which I managed to negotiate off with my employer. I stayed on full salary but paid for the course. The one day a week schedule acted as a focus to keep on top of the academic work and not let assignments slide. It was hard work and I didn't have DC then. Good luck.

Mags11 Mon 03-Mar-14 21:29:44

Thank you all for your replies. It has helped put it in perspective for me; I sometimes wonder if I'm just in the middle of a mid-life crisis! But I know its really about looking at a slight change of career, and I dont want to leave it too late. I need to speak to the uni to see how they plan the part time courses, and make a request to my employer for time off. Now I just need 8 grandgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now