my son is still not sent off his personal statement.

(15 Posts)
littlejo67 Tue 03-Dec-13 08:41:14

He sent his statement to the student room 2.5wks ago as I said it was a good idea to get them to check it out. Still no reply. His tutor says she needs it by this week. Everyone else in his tutor has sent there's off and she says that he has left it late and it may of scuppered his chances. Is she right? He is applying to redbrick and 1994 uni's. It was my idea to get a review from TSR and now I feel terrible and panicked.

MirandaWest Tue 03-Dec-13 08:46:56

He's got until January 15th to send it in so there is no major panic. However the staff at his school will want to be able to look at it themselves and do his reference and they'd probably prefer to do that before Christmas.

I presume he's got his copy of the one he sent to the student room?

littlejo67 Tue 03-Dec-13 08:52:42

Yes he has got a copy. So can send it off but he was really upset about his tutors comments. His friends have got unconditional offers back already. Surely there is only so many places to offer? How can they offer now when all applications are not in?
Thanks for your reply.

littlejo67 Tue 03-Dec-13 08:53:56

Sorry should of said conditional offers.

MrsBright Tue 03-Dec-13 09:02:39

ALL UCAS applications received before the January deadline get 'equal consideration' from the Universities. This is a fundamental part of UCAS - and they mean it. A good application sent in in October stands EXACTLY the same chance of an Offer as one sent in in early January.

There isnt a finite number of offers and when those have all 'gone', thats it. It doesnt work like that. Trust me - I work in Uni admissions. Universities work to a complicated formula based on many years experience. They know roughly the number of applications they'll get and how many offers at what grades to make to ensure that they have the right number of eventual Firms and Insurances - and roughly what that will translate to after Results Day of 'students through the door'.

Teachers like to create a sense of urgency as otherwise many Year 13s will just fanny about and miss the deadline. And lets face it, teachers have better things to do at Christmas that chase missing UCAS applications.

MirandaWest Tue 03-Dec-13 09:03:32

I'm pretty sure that universities aren't able to discriminate based on when the personal statement is submitted. So they have to look at all the submitted applications whenever they are received up until the submission

What the others have said.
The school are hassling him because there is a fair bit of work they have to do on the UCAS application before it goes off. They are used to seeing personal statements and will check it thoroughly.
I would suggest he submits his application now. It then goes to the school (not straight to UCAS). If he hears back from the student room before the school sends it off and needs to change something it can be done. DS had his "sent back" by the school several times for slight amendments.

littlejo67 Tue 03-Dec-13 09:23:07

Thank you both so much for calming me down! It's good to hear that it's a not first past the line system. The tutor has worried him unnecessarily then - which is a bit cruel. Thanks again.

littlejo67 Tue 03-Dec-13 09:24:21

Thanks to thecat also.

MillyMollyMama Tue 03-Dec-13 15:01:51

I think it depends which university and which course you son is applying to. Some will give an a very quick offer (or rejection) in a matter of 2 weeks. If they offer in October, then surely there are less places later on? The difficulty for the university is trying to know who will accept the offer, or reject it, later on.

Also, why do the school not check the PS? I would definitely want it submitted now and I think the school are right to be concerned. What possible advantage can there be in delaying?

mumeeee Tue 03-Dec-13 15:18:20

MillyMollyMama universities have so many offers for early applicants and they also have offers for those who don't get their applications in until the deadline. They don't run out of places and those applying later aren't disadvantaged. But you are right the school or college do usually check the personal statement well that what happened with all 3 of my DDs. Although DD3 did show hers to DD1 to get some advice on it before she sent it to her tutor.

MrsBright Tue 03-Dec-13 22:02:38

MillyMolly - dont confuse Offers with actual Places.

2rebecca Wed 04-Dec-13 22:03:54

I think sending his PS to TSR is fair enough, but I don't see why that doesn't stop him also sending it to his tutor for her comments. If the courses in the unis he's interested in are starting to send out offers then it's worth getting things moving a bit as it may take the school a while to do their bit. Some TSR PS checkers are just interested amateurs who may have less knowledge than the school. My son gave his PS to me and my sister to make suggestions but he took most notice of the PS checker at the school as she sorts out loads of them each year. It means his PS has an interesting number of semicolons for a dyslexic, but I think the admissions folk realise that PSs have been redrafted umpteen times and the schools often help with the wording and advising which bits to leave out.

sashh Thu 05-Dec-13 10:47:38

what 2rebecca said

Also tutors have a better idea of what the uni are looking for than students on TSR who have only ever seen their own and their friends statements.

Jan 15th is not that far away if you discount the holidays.

And don't expect a tutor to drop everything to look at his personal statement.

MrsBright Thu 05-Dec-13 19:38:46

Many Unis now publish their subject specific Admissions policies online - and these can be very useful in working out what they are really looking for, and therefore what to really stress in a PS, or just leave out.

Each Uni is different of course but here is the link to the subject specific advice/guides for Uni of Bristol : www.bristol.ac.uk/prospectus/undergraduate/2014/admissions-statements.html#p

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now