Art at A Level?

(5 Posts)
sunny30 Fri 22-Nov-13 10:21:53

My DS is currently deciding on his A levels, does anyone know if universities would take into account A level Art for degrees such as English/History?

He will be taking Eng Lit, either History or Classical civilisation, possible Art and computer studies.

Many Thanks

ratherbeinnorfolk Tue 26-Nov-13 12:11:00

It depends on the university. The Russell Group have produced this to try and clarify the situation:

www.russellgroup.ac.uk/informed-choices/

I know LSE, and I believe Cambridge also produce a list of non-preferred subjects.

NorthBucksMum Tue 26-Nov-13 19:34:37

English and History are very competitive to get into and I do not believe Art or Computer Studies will be of any use at all. He needs another essay subject instead of the computer studies in my opinion. History of Art maybe? Or do Classical Civilisation and History instead of either or. I would look very closely at the best combination of subjects for English and History to put him in the best possible position.

Lottiedoubtie Tue 26-Nov-13 19:44:23

It depends on which universities he is interested in.

Art could be fine, but probably not combined with computer studies as it doesn't 'scream' interested in essay writing on the UCAS form.

MrsBright Wed 27-Nov-13 18:46:20

Echo NorthBucksMum comments.

For entry to competitive courses like English, History, Economics or Law at 'top' Unis (ex-Polys are less fussy) you need three solid 'essay' subjects and predictions of top grades. Something like Politics, Sociology, a language, Art History etc would be good. Its okay to do Fine Art as a fourth A level (shows breadth of study/interests) but otherwise it isnt seen as 'academic enough'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now