elective placements abroad for medical students

(5 Posts)

Wondered if anyone has any experience.
DD1 is in ehr 4th year at med school and trying to sort out her elective for next year.
Initially she ruled out going abroad because of the cost (we are not particularly well off) but she is having a nightmare with hospitals not getting back to her. Potentially she may have a 4 week stint in one , which means finding 4 weeks in a another.. which would mean two lots of set up fees .

With this in mind she is wondering about european placements. The popular far flung african ones are out of the question due to cost, but she is lookinga at Malta at the mo (we love it there anyway)

Just wondered if anyone's dc have done electives abroad, or at home, and was it a nightmare to sort? Obviously she is sorting this not me, but she thought it might be useful to ask on MN smile

MrsBright Wed 27-Nov-13 18:51:19
VivaLeBeaver Wed 27-Nov-13 18:55:06

I've done one, sorted it all out myself rather than pay £££ to one of those placement companies.

I went to a hospital in Uganda. Was called Rushere hospital, its well set up for electives, they have a guesthouse, housekeeper. If she goes by herself though it might be a bit lonely as its out in the sticks, no TV, no wifi, etc.

It's also quite a small hospital, but busy!

I also wrote to the local rotary club and round table and both gave me fairly significant amounts of money.....more than paid for the airfare if I remember correctly. Apart from that I had to pay £40 a week board and lodging.

Mumof3teens Thu 28-Nov-13 16:54:18

DS1 went to Jamaica. Sorted it all out himself by contacting the hospital there. Had to pay £££ for accommodation etc. Great time though and v v v useful for his speciality.

namechangefornames Fri 29-Nov-13 19:32:01

I accompanied DP to his elective - did some in Nepal & some in India. I was a stay at home mum in Kathmandu & Delhi while he went to hospital! We sorted it out ourselves, start up costs were small (non existent at the place in Delhi) & since grant & loan was paid the same the money situation was fine once we paid for flights.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now