Dress code for Uni interviews/visit days

(31 Posts)
snowyowl70 Thu 17-Oct-13 22:46:58

Having just got her first interview for Uni DD1 is now worrying about what to wear ! She has to wear business wear for school so has a trouser suit and skirt/jacket if needs to be formal but is casual more usual ? She will be mortified if she gets it wrong sad

PolkadotsAndMoonbeams Sun 20-Oct-13 14:33:18

I wore a skirt and jumper to mine I think (not tiny denim skirt, but above the knee. So smart-ish but not too old/formal looking.). I think to one I might have worn dark skinny trousers tucked into knee-high boots and a jumper.

They're more interested in you as a person than what you're wearing, but obviously you want to look presentable!

Oh, and I got offers everywhere.

PiratePanda Tue 22-Oct-13 18:33:43

Am I too late to pitch in? I'm a lecturer and do admissions at a Russell Group university.

Smart, but not a suit is the way to go - a nice dress and a jacket, or trousers, shirt and nice cardigan; that kind of thing. Boys do tend to wear their "business-wear" uniforms, but not women.

That being said, she should also wear something she's comfortable in. I'd overlook dirt and patches (maybe not smelliness ;-) if the student's intellect shone through.

PiratePanda Tue 22-Oct-13 18:35:59

(God, that sounded like we care what students wear to interview - actually, we don't. It's the mind that counts, nothing else. But we all know that subconsciously clothes can sway people, and why risk it?)

snowyowl70 Tue 22-Oct-13 19:13:32

Thank you PiratePanda that's really helpful. Thank you.

Milliways Tue 22-Oct-13 20:15:56

My DD did MFL and got offers from Southampton, Bath, Warwick, Durham & Cambridge. She wore a skirt & blouse to her interviews - Not a suit skirt but a smartish one, and quite a fancy blouse (I would have gone for more formal) - but is was what she was comfortable in. Her 6th form did not have a uniform.

DS wore his school suit because that is what he was used to, but both saw lots in Jeans as well as high fashion.

Good luck!

UptheChimney Wed 23-Oct-13 09:21:04

Thing is, as an academic, I suspect if I'm swayed at all by what applicants are wearing (such influence would be utterly minimal, I hope!) I'd be more put off by high fashion/too smart, than jeans and a tshirt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now