Accommodation costs at London unis

(13 Posts)
mummyofteens Sun 29-Sep-13 22:55:37

Would anyone be willing to give me an idea of how much their child's university accommodation is in London please smile

CatelynStark Sun 29-Sep-13 22:57:47

Last year, my daughter lived in Queen Mary halls and was charged £113 per week for a room in a student flat with shared bathroom and kitchen.

HTH.

drawsofdrawers Sun 29-Sep-13 23:45:20

My sisters rent in years two and three was about £150 a week in a shared house between about six of them - one bathroom, one kitchen. Plus bills and food Etc

Moominmammacat Mon 30-Sep-13 09:54:00

£200 a week for magnificent en suite in Imperial, no food

eatyourveg Mon 30-Sep-13 12:53:58

£131pw plus food and bills - in university leased house which has kitchen/dining area, bathroom with shower & loo and also another sep shower and sep loo and a utillity room, shared between 5. (and a garden which they have to keep tidy, and a garage for storage)

MissLivvy Mon 30-Sep-13 21:46:10

£200 per week for UCL accommodation - ensuite, no food.

BlackMogul Mon 30-Sep-13 22:02:29

University of the Arts (central st Martins etc) has self catering halls starting at about £7600 p/a. Some are 42 weeks and some are 51 weeks with correspondingly higher prices. Some studios and some en suite. London has house rentals for 3 academic terms so you do not pay in July and August. Other Uni cities you pay all year to get something decent and in the right location. You may have to factor in transport costs too as some halls are not that close to the universities.

I think mine were around £4.5k for catered single room with a sink.

My rent now is £300/month but that's pretty cheap, next best I've heard of is £350/month or so. Worst is about £500.....don't know why you'd pay that much, am mystified.

oh and they said catered but you still had to pay (reduced rate) for food! kitchens had toaster, microwave, fridge, kettle.....was last year.

purits Wed 09-Oct-13 08:48:25

So far, we have had £113, £131, £150, £200.

My DS pays only £85pw. He's not in London, but he is at a good university in a buzzing, busy city. The stupid accommodation costs were one of the main reasons for not applying to London.

BlackMogul Thu 10-Oct-13 01:18:15

Catered means breakfast and dinner included in the rental. Most London halls do not appear to offer this. None at University of the Arts. Every London university will have details of their halls and prices on their web sites so look at the best ones that suit your DC. I can assure you that £4500 is low for London and you are describing self catered, Quirrel. What London Uni was it and where was the hall? Many go up to £10,000 plus but if they want a summer job the 51 weeks is good. Rentals depend on age of property, location, en suite or not. Central London is way more expensive so you will get cheaper at suburban universities. If the only course you want is in London you have to go for it but much cheaper elsewhere as purits says.

Shootingatpigeons Thu 10-Oct-13 02:05:48

DD's first year accommodation, self catered, shared bathroom, currently £159 per week. No transport costs 5 min walk from UCL. Sainsbury's on corner for after 7 price reductions. Used it through the holidays to access well paid work (and for clubbing) she does know that she will probably never have a chance to be so at the centre of the capital city again and did make the most of it. Now she is in student flat in Camden £550 per month.

I might be describing self catered, but we were clearly told that our particular halls were catered etc etc, and yes I assure you there were grumblings in the canteen queues wink not sure how they got away with it- except that we got a discount whereas people living in self catered halls wouldn't.
I would rather not say which uni I go to but you could probably have a good guess. £4.5k was one of the much cheaper grottier ones yep.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now