Open university - anyone studying with them?

(9 Posts)
awakemysoull Sat 28-Sep-13 18:21:02

I have just applied and been accepted to do a BSc honours degree in criminology and pshycology starting February 2014. I'm excited but nervous because I've been out of education for several years now.

Anyone else doing this course or any course with them?

I'll be studying 60 credits in the first year whilst working part time and having a 4 yo and an 8 month old by February. Have I taken on too much?

VitoCorleone Sat 28-Sep-13 18:25:06

Me smile starting 12th October. Doing an access course first then will be studying Law. Got all my stuff in the post yesterday

VitoCorleone Sat 28-Sep-13 18:26:08

Oh and i have an almost 5 year old and an 18 month old and work part time

Hello!

Did a psychology access course. Am now on a harder access course for 6 months (Social Sciences) then can move on to the psychology degree next september. It's hard but it's improved my life a lot to have that going on the side and be working on something as well as looking after DS and I love the subject so learn a lot and find it really interesting.

Enjoy.

(And the course I'm doing is 60 credits and has 6 TMAs to be completed in total and is over 6 months so I imagine a year should be perfect)? smile

I'm starting next week on a history degree. Am doing 60 credits this year, have disabled 12yr old DD, 14 month old DD and am 5 months pregnant with DS1 and will give birth half way through :p
If I manage it this year anyone can! grin

I'm really really looking forward to it, I think precise time management is the key to getting through with so much else on.

HolgerDanske Mon 30-Sep-13 20:34:12

I have just started on the LLB with the OU. So far so good, but ask me again when my first TMA is due grin

awakemysoull Fri 04-Oct-13 10:10:53

Thanks for your replies I'm still a bit nervous and having a nightmare from saas about funding.

I've got a couple of months I think to sort it out so hopefully I'll have all the evidence of low income (very low) I need by then.

madeofkent Fri 04-Oct-13 13:54:40

My daughter, who left uni early due to imminent baby! She now has two, age 5 and 2 and is three years in of 6 years of law and I have to stay up late at night encouraging her, it does get harder as each year passes but she is determined. She works at CAB one day a week as an advisor to gain experience, in a pub for three very long shifts a week (her MIL and husband help with the children then) and she has just been offered a one day a week internship with a law firm. She did say that she had been very lucky with the timing of her application re funding as she would never have got it now.

She is exhausted, really so and does get low but she has a good brain and needs to use it. That keeps her going - that and the thought of maybe being able to move out of their teeny house one day. She has to wait until they have gone to bedbefore she can study, which she does to the very loud backtrack of SIL playing computer games against online friends. I'm very impressed by her determination and staying power.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now