UCAS forms sent - just the waiting game now !

(1000 Posts)
snowyowl70 Fri 27-Sep-13 23:07:03

My super organised DD1 has had email today to say her forms/reference have been received and should be at her chosen Unis in the next 48 hrs !!!!! So the waiting begins - to those seasoned parents who have done this before can you remember how long they had to wait for their first responses ? At least 2 out of her 5 may call her for interview (MFL) so am guessing these might be fairly on the ball ?

mindgone Fri 01-Nov-13 19:44:59

Thanks Beckandcall! He prefers beer!! smile

Isthiscorrect Sat 02-Nov-13 06:33:52

Late commer here. Ds is very stressed, he hasn't completed his ps yet. It had been his intention (back in the summer) to send it the day after the Oxbridge entries. However he has been ill since mid September and in hospital for the last 10 days (due out tomorrow, hooray) and is very tired still sleeping 12-15 hours a day. Now he is so stressed about catching up and finishing his ps he doesn't know where to begin.
I've suggested ps first with ref from school including details of his illness. Then he can move on to catching up. All his teachers are confident he will catch up and achieve his predicted grades. He is just sad he isn't hearing about offers like his friends.
Well done to all those with offers, just got to get the grades now. It's going to be a long year isn't it ;-)

Cerisier Sat 02-Nov-13 22:15:31

It certainly is going to be a long year Isthis! DD has received an offer from York. Nottingham however want her to submit a detailed form to determine home/international status before they will give her an offer. We are not very impressed with this. Getting into uni should be on merit, not on your ability to stump up an extra 30K+ in fees.

Cerisier Sat 02-Nov-13 22:22:37

PS Isthis so sorry to hear DS is not well. I hope he gets home as planned and is fully recovered soon.

goinggetstough Sat 02-Nov-13 22:50:08

cerisier I realise it must be a pain for your DC to fill in an extra form but I expect you know what category your DC falls into, but for some reason the university doesn't. They haven't not refused your DC an offer, so hopefully one will come shortly after they have received the form. Universities have different quotas for home and international students. Hence there are always more places left for International students later in the year when the courses are showing full for Home students.

Shootingatpigeons Sun 03-Nov-13 11:21:55

Cerisier this could just be the start of it. It is a complicated minefield. Expat friends have gone through all sorts of hoops and unis have different policies on this and it seems can be flexible on certain courses and if they really want a student. One friend found themselves with the third child granted home status and then went back and appealed for all the others. And as going has highlighted there is the issue of quotas for home students.

isthis what a rotten start to the year. To be honest I don't think the PS gets that much attention in most cases, lots of admission's officers have posted on here that they are far more concerned with predicted grades. They have so many applications to deal with. Of course it can make a difference so it is worth giving it a good go to make sure it conveys your DS's individuality but not worth losing sleep over. I was a lot more relaxed about DD2's than I was DD1s (who in any case told me to keep my nose out grin) The admissions Officer at one uni we visited said they like quirky but not wacky and they definitely got quirky from my DD grin

Cerisier Sun 03-Nov-13 15:32:00

Thanks going and Shooting, I agree it is a minefield.

Theas18 Thu 07-Nov-13 11:41:33

Isthis. Gosh your poor DS.

I can't comment on the importance of the PS - depends on course/uni I think.

However he really doesn't need to rush it. We are told a lot on here "all applications must get equal consideration, and some septs don't do a thing till UCAS closes.

Interview at Liverpool for DS (YAAY but EEEP too)

2rebecca Fri 08-Nov-13 21:21:21

My son's PS is still toing and froing between him and the school teacher who helps them to get it as perfect as possible. It should be sorted within the next fortnight, everything else is ready to go

hattymattie Sat 09-Nov-13 08:08:03

DD has first offer from Bristol - a really achievable one as well - this is fantastic news as it really makes two of her other choices irrelevant. It has also lifted a huge amount of stress off her - and the rest of the familysmile

snowyowl70 Sat 09-Nov-13 10:23:45

Good news hattiemattie ! My DD has a really achievable offer from her second choice and has interview at her first choice on weds so hoping she might get offers from her top two !!

BeckAndCall Sat 09-Nov-13 13:36:30

Congrats hattiematties DD - really pleased for you! Likewise, my DD has an achievable offer from Bristol so at the very least, that is where she will be going! It's good to have something that lifts the weight from the shoulders!

hattymattie Sat 09-Nov-13 15:17:52

Ooh well done Snowy and beck good news all round then. Beck did your DD apply for law as well or can't you say?

BeckAndCall Sat 09-Nov-13 17:57:38

It wasn't law hattiemattie - it's one of the sciences

snowyowl70 Thu 14-Nov-13 06:47:34

Well that was a long drive to Sourhampton for one night but DD1's interview went really well and she should have an email within a couple of days to let her know her fate !!! This was her top choice so she is relieved it went well !

snowyowl70 Thu 14-Nov-13 06:49:43

Oh and by the way she got the dress code about right !!!! There were a few in jeans and trainers, a few in suits but majority (including DD1) who went middle of the road in dress/cardigan or chinos/jumper

BeckAndCall Thu 14-Nov-13 07:08:50

Glad that went well, snowy - and top tip on the interview outfit.

My DD loves Southampton ( and has an offer from them) and its less than an hour from us so it's a real contender for her!

Shootingatpigeons Fri 15-Nov-13 14:45:24

Just had to share that DD got an unconditional offer for Birmingham! shock We had heard they existed and we had joked about it but in reality I thought that was just for accountancy, and aimed at getting the best candidates to cement their links with industry. She is not doing anything even as remotely useful as accountancy though. Its not her first choice though and if she thinks she can accept it (it is conditional on being made first choice) and do sweet fanny all for the rest of the year she has another thing coming grin Still these mythical phenomenon do exist apparently, and she is dyslexic and dyspraxic so there are never any guarantees on exam success even if she does work her socks off so we can't dismiss it........

Glad it went well at Southampton snowyowl fingers crossed. I do like to hear of all the benefits of my alma mater being shared by a new generation.

Congratulations to your DD as well Beck and call

Kez100 Fri 15-Nov-13 17:25:37

Great news coming through - your's DCs must be delighted and you a little bit relieved.

My DD is waiting for her Tutor's response to her PS and is in the final weeks of pulling together her portfolio, so she is ready for interview if a date appears.

hattymattie Fri 15-Nov-13 20:25:24

shooting that is amazing news and must be a relief for you and your family. I thought unconditionals were only for people who already had their results and were on gap years' and such like.

Well done to Beck and Call's daughter and fingers crossed as well for snowy'sDD.

BeckAndCall Sat 16-Nov-13 07:01:51

I am confused by the Birmngham unconditional offers - two girls at DDs school got unconditional offers from Birmingham yesterday too. It's great to have them, and so glad for your DD shooting but I wonder if its an administrative mistake? The regulations will require some kind of entry qualifications ( usually 2 A levels or equiv - hence the old two Es offer).

Or maybe I'm just not up to date and its a way of capturing choices early and trying to get students to go 'firm' for them?

But it would play havoc with their student number control limit - and they couldn't predict their position on ABBs ( sorry, university admin mind working overtime)

creamteas Sat 16-Nov-13 10:42:03

Beck and Call From gossip, I've heard that the way Birmingham manage this is this:

They only make unconditional offers to students whose record and predictions indicate a good possibility of all A/A* results. So even if there was a drop they would still make the ABB margin.

They don't make any/many non ABB offers, so on if an unconditional student did drop below ABB they have not committed to any of their core.

It is a condition that the students take their A levels, so they can't just turn up without them.

Personally I think it smacks of desperation. If the only way they can convince good students to name them as firm is to offer them unconditional, they are doing something wrong!

Shootingatpigeons Sat 16-Nov-13 10:48:52

beck I find it slightly surreal too but assume it is effectively the old 2Es offer. It is definitely not an administrative mistake though, I had read they were going to start doing this and I googled to check www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/unconditional-offer-scheme-2014.aspx it is conditional on you accepting them as first choice, if you make them the insurance then it reverts to the standard offer so it is the incentive to be made first choice. Anyway she also got an offer last night from one of her preferred unis oop north so very happy and relieved. She is finding the Birmingham offer very attractive though because she has suffered huge problems with exam anxiety as a result of her learning difficulties, panic attacks, passing out, she has had counselling and hypnotherapy. She is a clever girl but it doesn't come easily. We have agreed she will decide after we go to the offers days.

Shootingatpigeons Sat 16-Nov-13 10:53:21

X posted creamteas I agree but then again listening to the 17 year olds reactions it is going down well. It remains to be seen if it actually affects their final decision.

By the way "sweet fanny all" ? spot the dyslexic parent!

Shootingatpigeons Sat 16-Nov-13 11:08:03

Also I do know that Birmingham is a uni that students are often surprised by when they visit. Certainly my older DD really liked both the course and the uni, as much as her top choices and would have been very happy to go there. As a result it often is made the insurance by students applying to the most selective unis. Perhaps they feel they have nothing to lose in trying to shift those insurance acceptances into firms.

A bit of me will feel stupidly and irrationally guilty if she doesn't accept as well blush my wet and emotional side can't help feeling that they have demonstrated a real liking for my DD! Rationality will prevail in my DDs decision making though!

This thread is not accepting new messages.