Suggestions for homesick students?

(4 Posts)
alreadytaken Tue 24-Sep-13 19:54:29

When I went to university I couldn't wait to get away from home. But after about 3 days when one of my flat-mates turned out to be pretty unpleasant I stood outside the door thinking I don't want to go in, I want to go home. Fortunately a 3rd year came along, could see the misery and took me away for hot chocolate and a biscuit.

Any suggestions for cheering up the homesick/ things that worked for you?

DropYourSword Wed 25-Sep-13 14:15:21

I got really homesick for a good couple of months whenIwent to uni. Was a real surprise as I had already moved out of home for a year before I went. My wonderful mum helped me through by sending me virtually a letter a day. I would pick it up in the morning and carry it around with me all day before I opened it in bed in the evening. It was like a hug from her every day. I have since emigrated and brought very little with me overseas. But I still have a huge box of all those letters she sent me. Now I'm overseas Skype works really well.

Seeline Wed 25-Sep-13 14:23:53

Join lots of clubs and go to every activity offered. It'll keep you busy, and your mind occupied and is a great way to make new friends who have similar interests.
My mum gave me a recipe book containing all my favourites so I could make them myself - a taste of home smile

alreadytaken Thu 26-Sep-13 09:25:29

thank you both for the ideas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now