Catered / self catering Halls at Universities

(81 Posts)
BackforGood Fri 20-Sep-13 21:58:14

Been on my first University open day to day (to take ds, not thinking of going myself wink) and was stunned that to stay in the catered halls they showed us (there were a range of different ones, but just looking at the ones they showed us) cost £5,400 per year, but to stay in the self catered ones only "saved" you £900 at £4500 for the year.

Is this common ? We (and ds) had assumed he would be able to pay considerable less for self-catering, but I can't see the £900 'saving' covering his food for the 39 weeks they said they catered for (which I though odd in itself, as no Universities do as many weeks as schools, but that's another thought altogether).

Anyone mind sharing what they/their dcs are paying, and what they get for that (to be fair, these were en-suite rooms, but not in London or the SE)

from which I infer that your children have left home & you have not fretted

which makes you a smug bugger in my book

Numberlock Wed 25-Sep-13 21:11:05

My eldest two have just gone to their freshers week, in the last few days. At two separate unis.

I've not fretted no, should I have? Why? Cos the bog roll wasn't cushioned?

Numberlock Wed 25-Sep-13 21:11:57

And thankfully your book means nowt to me, but thanks anyway, you've given me a good laugh.

glad to have been of service

Numberlock Wed 25-Sep-13 21:16:52

grin

summerswims Fri 27-Sep-13 17:30:15

I for one am glad that this thread has been here. Caring about the first few months at home from home seems a good thing for mumsnet folk to consider.

I was all for catered (my experience) for social reasons but am thinking self-catering may not be all bad - have to do some of thinking through for my DC as we have the experience and leaving home is not always plain sailing. It's called empathetic parenting in my world!! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now