So where did your DS get a dinner suit for uni from?

(33 Posts)
greyvix Sun 15-Sep-13 17:11:47

We have tried Topman and Moss (Bros?). Does anyone have any other suggestions? We don't want to pay a fortune, but he has been told it will be useful to get one.
Thanks

hermioneweasley Sun 15-Sep-13 17:12:44

Makro

sassytheFIRST Sun 15-Sep-13 17:13:37

M&s do a value one - £30 for the dj and £20 for the trews or thereabouts. Might only be at christmas though.

dizzy77 Sun 15-Sep-13 17:13:40

M&S? DH paid £45 for one there, less than the last time he hired one.

tywysogesgymraeg Sun 15-Sep-13 17:14:05

Did he get a suit for his prom? Could he just wear that?

(must be a posh uni)

Slaters. It's a Glasgow institution, but think they do online too £70 for full dinner suit

BlackMogul Sun 15-Sep-13 18:01:31

M and S is the favourite .

BlackMogul Sun 15-Sep-13 18:08:40

Forgot to say.... Don't skimp too much. He will not want to look out of place. Good bow tie and appropriate dinner shirt are good investments too. Might fit for many years to come so worthwhile over renting . Loads of universities have balls and formals now and a lounge suit will not do.

holidaysarenice Sun 15-Sep-13 18:23:20

Don't but it until needed. Depending on course and uni it may rarely be used.

And most uni's get cheap hire when they are organising a function.

greyvix Sun 15-Sep-13 18:44:37

Thanks for the very speedy responses. He seems to think he will need one. The uni is Nottingham.

goinggetstough Sun 15-Sep-13 19:50:59

Definitely second M and S. They are good quality IMO and you can buy different sizes for jacket and trousers. Some universities wear them for the Freshers Ball. There seems to be information on Facebook freshers pages according to my DS.
Lots do have M and S DJs so worth naming the jacket as they seem to take them off and then lose them. ( am not suggesting you name them like a school blazer but something that makes a DJ recognisable to the owner!!!

RayofSun Sun 15-Sep-13 19:57:16

M&S. and probably worth investing in zone especially if he is sporty too. There are formal dinners galore at uni. My husband bought one at the beginning of uni and wore it over 10 times so hiring can get expensive. Definitely get one which is machine washable as no one can afford/ be bothered with dry cleaning and try and put an identifying marker (something short of a name tag!) as drunk people have a habit of picking up other people's dinner jackets. Also the bonus of m&s that you can buy seperates if the need arises!

JGBMum Sun 15-Sep-13 19:58:26

another vote for M&S, or online company suitdirect, £99 for a full suit.

Meandthecat Sun 15-Sep-13 19:59:08

Ds got his from marks and sparks as they do slim fit, good price and he needs one for his first week formal, as well as an ordinary suit to wear with his gown as early as the Wednesday for the matriculation ceremony. I think he will get lots of use from both :-)

BackforGood Sun 15-Sep-13 20:02:50

They appear a lot in charity shops if he's got the time to browse.
Matalan had them in the Summer (Prom season) - don't know if they still do?
Not worth paying loads for until he's definitely stopped growing - at a university ball, no-one's going to be noticing the quality of the thread grin

Netguru Sun 15-Sep-13 20:05:55

eBay.

Actually he started in one of his dad's old ones but got a great one off ebay a year later.

greyvix Sun 15-Sep-13 21:37:10

We will look at M&S. Thanks for all the tips. We should have really done it earlier, as he goes next week! I had banked on Topman, but the sleeves are very long for some reason.

mindgone Mon 16-Sep-13 00:03:30

M&S here too!

mirry2 Mon 16-Sep-13 00:19:26

I'm a bit bemused that students at Nottingham would need a dinner suit. confused When is he proposing to wear one? Are you sure it's not a wind up?

BlackMogul Mon 16-Sep-13 00:24:47

I know my DDs friends at Nottingham would wear aDJ for some events. Depends on what hall you are in. Nottingham has a big public school cohort who like balls, etc.

greyvix Mon 16-Sep-13 20:35:57

It's not a wind up; a lot of the universities have formal dos, including Nottingham. I don't think he will be dressing up for freshers' week though.

Bearcat Mon 16-Sep-13 20:36:05

Greyvix
Both my DS's went to Nottingham Uni and lived in Hugh Stewart and Cripps Halls respectively.
I think that these 2 halls were meant to be arguably the most popular ones to live in, but both had mixes of state and private.
Neither DS had a dinner suit, but both had a normal suit that they would wear to the formal dinners.
I think these were once a month when DS1 was in Hugh Stewart in 2006/7 and about the same in Cripps I believe in 2010.
Looking at their formal dinner photos of their friends the boys were in normal suits, shirts & ties.
I don't think DS1 ever went to a ball, but DS2 went to leavers ball & Economics ball and photos show some in dinner suits and some in normal suits.
HTH

LetsFaceTheMusicAndDance Tue 17-Sep-13 20:02:41

Got DS one in the sale from My Tuxedo online. It's gorgeous and fitted perfectly. It was about £40 for 2 piece and suit bag. Fast delivery too.

greyvix Tue 17-Sep-13 21:38:08

Thanks for the advice, Bearcat. DS has decided to take a normal suit, but dress it up with a black tie if necessary.
Nottingham obviously has the seal of approval from the Bearcat family!

nemno Tue 17-Sep-13 21:41:25

In my day and much more recently my nieces' it was a normal suit required for formals.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now