DS wants to do Law, I think he's unrealistic.

(71 Posts)
EastwickWitch Thu 05-Sep-13 18:30:43

He's always wanted to do it. Did a weeks work experience in a big firm & loved it. We have several lawyer friends who have been trying to dissuade him without success. They've told us there are too many law graduates for the small number of jobs.

He's just starting A levels; Eng Lit, French, History & Philosophy.
BUT I keep reading that unless he get exceptional A levels & into a RG uni the chances of getting a job are slim.
He got 4 A* 6 A & B at GSCE so he's quite bright but not exceptional.
He'd like to do French & Law together on a 4 year course.

He's looked at the summer schools for next summer but he would only qualify on a few points & I suspect he'd be lucky to get on.

I don't want to rain on his parade but I do want him to be realistic. Any lawyers out there that can advise?

JanetBlyton Sun 23-Aug-15 17:05:16

Yes, it's sad when lawyers try to put people off it. If they don't like they should do something else and leave it to those of us who do.

fastdaytears Sun 23-Aug-15 16:41:17

Yep another lawyer here! Lots of congratulations to your lovely son and to you for getting him this far. I hope he enjoys his course (most of it anyway) and uni life.
It's a great career and I'm usually very happy. I find it mystifying how many lawyers want to put others off going into the profession. Yes it's hard on graduates right now but it's hard on many people leaving many degrees. Training contracts go to committed, commercial, personable applicants and that's always been the case.

JanetBlyton Sun 23-Aug-15 16:29:02

Good A levels and nice to have an update. Good luck to him. Plenty of us practise law who post on here and love it.

Stingingthistle Tue 18-Aug-15 09:55:56

YY Heels and any dictation there is generally goes straight to a secretary or typing pool in any case. Not really something a vac schemer would need to be involved with.

Heels99 Tue 18-Aug-15 08:20:21

I too am not sure that having done a typing course makes you a great recruit for a summer job at a law firm. It's not one of the criteria my husband considers when recruitingto vacation schemes, it's assumed they can all type. Most lawyers do a lot of their own typing as they go along, there is not vast amounts of dictation.

Stingingthistle Mon 17-Aug-15 22:33:36

Gloria - non-law degree absolutely fine.

Hen - typing course?! I doubt there is a teen in the land who would need this... I learned to touch type very quickly when I was young due to using the Internet a lot, and that was years ago when Internet use wasn't as widespread as it is now! I'm sure all teens these days are fully able to type.

eurochick Mon 17-Aug-15 13:08:18

Gloria, lots of lawyers do non-law degrees. It's really not an issue.

eurochick Mon 17-Aug-15 13:07:16

Lovely update! Well done him.

momb Mon 17-Aug-15 13:03:00

Well done to him! You must be so proud!

takeinyourhen Mon 17-Aug-15 12:59:28

To be honest, my advice would be to get him on a typing course so that he can work his holidays in a firm and actually be useful rather than just shadowing people.

Good luck to him!

RandomFriend Mon 17-Aug-15 12:58:50

What a lovely update! His GCSEs were excellent, btw, by any standard.

atticusclaw Mon 17-Aug-15 12:43:10

Gloria a law degree is not essential at all. Loads of lawyers do a different degree and then do a conversion course.

Heels99 Mon 17-Aug-15 12:36:09

Gloria - work experience , vacation placements and mini pupillages will be key.

GloriaRev Mon 17-Aug-15 02:21:06

So may I just tiptoe into this thread and ask lawyers amongst you (So sorry to hijack OP)
My Ds has got a place at a decent university to do history. At the moment (and it might change ) he would like to be a lawyer. He would love to be a barrister. Has he buggered up by not doing Law undergraduate ? (He does know conversion course would be required )

Oh and Eastwick - congratulations - that sounds fantastic.

Stingingthistle Mon 17-Aug-15 02:06:06

Good luck to him. Great to have a language and he's achieved excellent results. I'm sure he will do well.

SolasEile Mon 17-Aug-15 01:55:39

Ah just read update - great news. And well done to your DS for not gettinh ground down by the negativity around careers in law!

SolasEile Mon 17-Aug-15 01:53:01

If it's what he loves then let him do it. Law is a good degree regardless of what future career path he goes for. I wanted to do law but was dissuaded on that same basis that there weren't many jobs, had to know someone to get a traineeship, long hours and low pay for the first 10 years etc. I regret listening to all the negativity now. I would have made a great lawyer (so I'm told grin ) and even if I hadn't it's a good basis for any future career.

BrockAuLit Mon 17-Aug-15 01:36:21

That's wonderful. I did exactly the same (London-based) some 20-odd years ago and loved it.

You must be so very proud of him. Makes it all worthwhile smile

FreeCoffee Mon 17-Aug-15 01:26:33

Brilliant update. thanks

Leeds2 Sun 16-Aug-15 23:30:37

I love updates like this!

Well Done to your DS, and hope he enjoys his degree course.

Nocturne123 Sat 15-Aug-15 19:54:16

Hi OP , I think your son has done great in his GCSEs. Unless things have changed massively in the last ten years ( they may have ) I don't see why he would have great difficulty getting into a good uni.

I did Law and French Law and am now a SAHM ( no help to you there) but all of my friends on my course have gone on to have very good careers. One of my friends has worked in Paris and Frankfurt in a Law Firm and others work in London. I came back to Ireland where it was tough to get a job but by no means impossible and I worked at a small firm for 2 years.

I think the French Law part of the degree does help you to stand out a bit ( unless you're extremely lazy and do no work in France grin). Some universities just do French language with law so make sure to check that out if he has a preference.

Good luck to your son

YeOldeTrout Sat 15-Aug-15 19:40:47

Congrats!!

myexcitinglife Sat 15-Aug-15 19:40:14

How sad you think your son won't be able to get a job in a decent career. Why shouldn't he aim high? What do you think he should do instead? I'm mystified.

ginmakesitallok Sat 15-Aug-15 19:33:16

Haven't read the whole thread, but I did law and loved it. I didn't go into law as a career, so got to do the interesting courses, rather than all the equity/trusts/conveyancing stuff.

Just noticed your update, well done him!

What a great update. Well done him! FANTASTIC results grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now