EMPTY NEST SUPPORT THREAD-Part 2

(1000 Posts)
MissMarplesBloomers Sun 01-Sep-13 22:15:15

Part one lasted seven years! Thanks RustyBear for the great idea.

I have one DD off this year and another one starting Sixth form so will be here for a few years! grin

So how are all the DC's getting on with the lists/packing etc?

mumblechum1 Wed 04-Sep-13 21:19:41

Arg, washing basket, forgot about that.

ontheallotment Wed 04-Sep-13 22:54:03

I think to an extent the amount taken expands to fill the available room. We took ds, so he filled the car with endless boxes, large musical instruments etc. Dd went on a bus, so took 3 suitcases (one of which was hand luggage sized)!

larry5 Thu 05-Sep-13 13:08:51

Dd made do with a laundry bag for her washing rather than a washing basket. Much easier to take to uni and can be carried to the laundrette.

fussychica Thu 05-Sep-13 14:06:04

Laundry bag is the way to go - lazybones don't have to empty it into a bag to take to the laundrettegrin

zappier Thu 05-Sep-13 15:56:37

My DS went to get the keys today and have a quick look around the halls. I'll grill him about what's there/not there when he's back tomorrow evening, then we can get the final stuff for him to be dropped off on Sunday (sob!).

I can thoroughly relate to MissMarplesBloomersabout the lack of financial support from his father. He 'can't afford it' despite having a weekend away with his wife, this weekend, and utterly unwilling to help, but somehow as a single parent I can?? Soooo glad I'll have even less to do with him from now on.

Nospringchickendipper Thu 05-Sep-13 16:06:36

Dd off next week I get a bit teary thinking about it. She is limited to what she can take with her as she is sharing a room until something more permanent comes up in the halls of residents Not ideal but she has been told she was lucky to get that!

mathanxiety Thu 05-Sep-13 19:49:39

Getting used to silence and cooking tiny amounts of dinner since packing DS and DD2 off to their US universities about two weeks ago. 3 out of 5 now either all the way through university or in the thick of it. It is very strange to only have two DDs here.

Have already sent a package of things DD2 forgot, and have last paycheque from summer for DS to deal with.

Interesting to see the different things you need to take with you in Britain and US. Living on campus (with food in cafaterias) in a tiny shared dorm room makes a huge difference.

mumblechum1 Fri 06-Sep-13 10:44:35

Math, at least you have 2 still at home smile. DS goes tomorrow and as DH works away a lot I will be living all by myself a lot of the time sad.
I was doing well until I did the Sainsbos online order this morning and burst into tears because I'm not ordering pizza, Fridge Raiders or Uncle Bens express rice, DS's staple 3am -after -he -rolls -in -snacks.

mumeeee Fri 06-Sep-13 11:50:49

I'm already getting tearful DD3 goes on 14th so just over a week to go. Her laptop and stuff from DSA this morning and she was very excited about it and sorted out everything with the delivery guy herself. Made me realise she won't need my input soon.

zappier Fri 06-Sep-13 12:10:26

mumblechum I'm by myself most of the time too, so can understand how you feel. Time to think about what YOU want to do. I've enrolled on two college courses and have even considered getting a dog! I'll think of you tomorrow.

mumblechum1 Fri 06-Sep-13 13:02:42

Thanks zappier! I do have a two day a week job as well as running my own will writing business and do voluntary jobs for Barnardos and Riding for the Disabled.

It's just the getting up in the morning and going to bed alone bit I find weird.

Am working on dh letting me have a donkey grin

minsmum Fri 06-Sep-13 13:14:47

Top of my DD's list was a bottle opener. we need to get a kettle and an iron and now from looking at your list a washing basket.
She has plates, cups, glasses, cutlery, frying pan, 2 saucepans, cheese grater, tongs, spatula, towels, double duvet, 2 sets of covers, 2 sheets. Need to go to the pound shop and get a load of stuff from there.
She wants my laptop because the keys on hers stick, I am saying no at the moment.
I am worried about what I have forgotten

mumblechum1 Fri 06-Sep-13 13:16:27

minsmum don't worry, wherever she's going there will be shops grin.

DS has his own list which seems to have cigars and whisky decanter and not a whole lot else grin.

I bought dd a bottle opener/corkscrew and a tin opener last weekend. She picked up the tin opener and asked, 'What's this?' but the corkscrew/bottle opener was greeted with delight. blush

How many plates, cups etc are those going self catering planning on taking/having?

mumblechum1 Fri 06-Sep-13 18:30:05

DS is taking a new boxed set of crockery, so 4 place settings, same with cutlery and glasses.

I know that at first there'll be too many of everything, but am assuming it will all be treated communally (no "stop drinking that coffee, that's my mug!" bollocks), and also that there will inevitably be plenty of breakages.

mumeeee Fri 06-Sep-13 19:24:15

I've bought DD3 a boxed set of 4 cups plates and bowls also 4 glasses and some cutlery, We need to get her some scissors and sharp knives as they don't sell these to under 21s. She's actually 21 but looks younger.

Thanks. Think we'll start with 2 each of small and large plates. She can then take old stuff from here rather than buying new! If she needs more, we'll get them later or she can. Will buy glasses when we get there.

madeofkent Fri 06-Sep-13 23:16:37

DS chose some large really nice plastic glasses that looked real. I think that was Wilko's, maybe Poundstretcher. I have ordered him a tray, a black non-slip one from Amazon so that nothing goes flying off it if he is feeling unsteady. hmm We had to go to B&Q yesterday for decent rubber doorwedges, that took a bit of tracking down. I'm waiting for a 4' bottom fitted sheet to turn up, then I think we have it all apart from buying him a box of fresh food the day before.

We also bought sticky labels. He wants them in case he finds he needs to keep his food in boxes and label it in the fridge. I bet he doesn't use them, but it's been interesting to see what he has thought of. He boarded at school for a few years long ago, I think he has memories of how his favourite toast spreads used to disappear at an alarming rate even when they were labelled. But he thinks it might make them think twice. I can remember him getting me to take in loads of kiwi jam, which he didn't like but the rest of his tribe (choristers) did, so that they would leave his nutella alone.

wifeandmotherandlotsofother Fri 06-Sep-13 23:31:01

I managed to cry nearly all of the 330 miles back from Edinburgh where I have left my son. I forgot coat hangers and passport photos and a clothes dryer

MissMarplesBloomers Sat 07-Sep-13 06:25:34

awww ((wife))

What are you doing this w/e to distract yourself?

JGBMUM DD has had students union stuff & a lovely welcome letter from the faculty but still nothing about accomodation-just twitching about the cost implications as if she doesn't get into Jack Martin her next choice is dearer.

Ah well we'll manage, as long as she has a roof over her head!!

JGBMum Sat 07-Sep-13 07:43:36

MissM ooh, I wonder if DS has had anything? He is stewarding at a festival this weekend so is away.
And I am in Italy, sat on the balcony of a beautiful hotel, relaxing and mumsnetting admiring the views of the bay of Naples & Mount Vesuvius.

I knew this was the wrong week to have a holiday, bloomin' DH turning 50 on me! grin

MissMarplesBloomers Sat 07-Sep-13 07:55:17

ooh lucky you....it's turned chilly here summer def over sad

Happy Birthday to JGB Dad!!

JGBMum Sat 07-Sep-13 08:09:14

Thanks. smile

mumblechum1 Sat 07-Sep-13 08:19:49

8 hours till I say goodbye to DS for three months sad. I don't even know where he is, he appeared briefly for something to eat yesterday then disappeared again. Clearly he's more bothered about leaving his friends behind than us hmm.

We need to leave at 1pm latest so he'd better show up soon to finish packing!

mumblechum1 Sat 07-Sep-13 08:20:19

JGB sounds lovely!

This thread is not accepting new messages.