Can't believe I'm asking about bags for Uni, but.....

(35 Posts)
mumblechum1 Thu 29-Aug-13 17:11:02

I know, it's a ridiculous thing to ask but I know you lot will know. DS off to Uni in a 9 days [sob], his school rucksack is in shreds, what do uni students carry their beer and fags books around in? He has about 1 mile to walk to the campus.

StrangeGlue Tue 03-Sep-13 20:32:18

I think a lot leave things they don't need regularly (passport, paper driving license counterpart) at home and go paperless with bank stuff.

MissMarplesBloomers Wed 04-Sep-13 08:26:41

Mumble If you & your son want to share the experience of getting him off to Uni then good for you! grin

Why, whenever here is a post just recently about helping the new off-to-Uni offspring get ready, does the post bring out a rash of accusations of "helicopter parenting" ?

Yes some kids like to do it all on their own, brillliant that's good for them if they want to. But some of us are actively enjoying working WITH our DC's on this new adventure, at their request ( because y'know for some it's a bit scary as well as exciting) letting them do the bulk of the arranging but making a few suggestions , dividing the tasks, and generally SUPPORTING them as we have done for years.

If you don't want to do that/ your DC doesn't want or need it then great bully for you, but please stop making the rest of us feel like we're interfering clucky parents for being a tad more involved!!

<sorry to hijack Mumble> grin

mumeeee Wed 04-Sep-13 08:47:20

missmarples I agree with you. DD3 has done very well organising and mаking phone calls. However she has asked for and enjoys our input. I'm making the most of it as soon I want be able to go shopping and meet up for coffee with her

mumblechum1 Wed 04-Sep-13 09:42:07

I still haven't persuaded ds to come to Asda and buy pans, bedding, etc. He just doesn't really care what sort of cutlery he gets hmm

eatyourveg Wed 04-Sep-13 15:29:13

isthiscorrect He's got an expandable file (suggestion from a mner last year) which bank statements, exam certificates and the paper bit of driving licence are in so I'm encouraging that but it'll be free pickings for anyone going in his room and as he will be sharing a house he's not likely to lock his room every time he goes into the kitchen/lounge. I've scanned in photocopies should anything get stolen sad

DP is buying himself a gamers backpack for his next term. They are huge and have hundreds of pockets, really handy things!

TBH, I'd leave him to it though. For two months last year every single time DP and I did a shop in Sainsbury's we'd be surrounded by either a) parents buying their uni student kids more things to fill the cupboards or b) hapless students wondering around trying to work out what what equipment they'd need. It was quite funny if a bit annoying as we went late to get the deals and they'd be snapped up already sad

I did end up having to explain to a girl that no, she wouldn't be able to make herself decent pasta in a milk pan and she should just get the bigger one which was about a quid more. grin She had asked for help otherwise I would have just been mildly amused by it and walked on.

Oh, beware of asda's cheaper bedding. Not worth it. At all. We have some on the bed at the moment and we both end up using our fleece blanket because it feels yucky.

madeofkent Wed 04-Sep-13 19:05:43

Mine has a box file that he keeps all his documents in, I think most of the contents and the box will go with him.

He chose a bag just after his A levels, a horribly expensive tough rucksack from The North Face. But it's waterproof and he will be able to buy food on his way home.

Isabel1066 Wed 04-Sep-13 19:36:20

I've just asked this question on the secondary thread -
someone suggested Eastpak bags - DS liked the look and I've ordered one. Wide range of colours, look robust and plenty big enough.

£34.98 from Amazon - not cheap but reckon good value.

Isthiscorrect Wed 04-Sep-13 19:41:58

Thanks eatyourveg for the tip about scanning docs. And thanks everyone else for suggesting a box/concentina file the floor. I shall wait with bated breath to see what happens.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now