Kings College, London

(21 Posts)
mummyofteens Sat 24-Aug-13 12:58:51

Hi, would really appreciate it if anyone has any insight regarding Kings, practical stuff such as accommodation or just what they experience was.

Many thanks

mrsmobbs Mon 26-Aug-13 17:41:20

Although I did not go personally, my niece and nephew both went and had an amazing time, they both did extremely well in fact my nephew is still there doing a phd, they both stayed in halls for the 1st year, then got shared accommodation in a house, there never seemed to be any problems, they always speak about the friends they made, how safe they felt, the great social scene and best of all for the family, is it is in a great location to visit, especially at Christmas for the Carol concert. Hope someone who has even can give you further info.

rightsaidfrederick Sun 01-Sep-13 15:28:53

There's a whole forum devoted to KCL here www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58

I had a wonderful time there, but it was a great many years ago, so can't offer any relevant tips I'm afraid.

OliviaMMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 01-Sep-13 15:37:48

All the best people are educated there. grin <biased>
Sorry can't help re: accommodation I stayed in <cough> years ago is now luxury flats sad

I'm chuffed that mrsmobbs mentioned the Advent Carol Service, as I sang in the chapel choir for three years! smile

LondonMother Sun 01-Sep-13 15:58:25

It's a big place, Mummy - any hints as to subject area?

KCL is OK but UCL is the business <uberbiased>.

Merrylegs Sun 01-Sep-13 16:14:57

Hi, my DS starts there in a couple of weeks. He has found the accommodation office v friendly and helpful although they have been a bit slow in sending out freshers welcome emails etc.

Not sure about UCL grin
Their mascot is a dead guy's head...

mummyofteens Sun 01-Sep-13 18:36:45

Sorry, yes, my question is a little vague :/ it is just that my daughter did much better in her A levels. She is looking at European Studies/French and I hoped the mumsnet gang would maybe have opinions/insights/thoughts that we may not have come across using conventional methods. I know there is the website but it is interesting just to hear opinions smile

Many thanks smile

BlackMogul Mon 09-Sep-13 23:57:48

DD 1 looked at a similar course to European Studies at UCL with two languages but nearly all students were foreign and already had two languages so only studies one on the course. My Sister went to UCL. The main problem with KCL, LSE,Imperial, UCL is that there are way more overseas students than elsewhere and there is no student area in London so everyone spreads out is second year. The poorer ones go out to the cheaper housing in the suburbs and travel a lot. The richer ones pay a fortune to stay nearer to College so friendships somewhat dictated by money. Lots of people we know already had friends going so they have stayed together as a social group. People from abroad tend to cluster together, so be aware of this.

Shootingatpigeons Tue 10-Sep-13 10:29:55

My DD is at UCL and disagree that students spread out across London. UCL students these days tend to find places to rent around Mornington Cresent, Camden and Holloway. DD always travelling home with people who live nearby. Plenty of suitable places on the market, they have had no problems finding a suitable place to rent each year around £550 a month. No denying it is more expensive than outside London but she has really enjoyed all that London has to offer and can't imagine going to uni anywhere else. Her friends at the Bristols and Nottinghamshire use her flat as their London pad.

She was an expat so loves the International mix and lack of "sloanes"

threebee not just any head, Jeremy Bentham's head, and KCL were so jealous they kidnapped him..... wink

Shootingatpigeons Tue 10-Sep-13 12:12:47

Also disagree on the social mixing, DDs friendship groups marked by their diversity, her flatmates include one ex public school with a trust fund, two ex private school, two from northern state schools on scholarships and one overseas student. The overseas students certainly help set high academic standards on her Science course. She has much more socially diverse and interesting friendships groups than friends at unis outside London especially as we hear tales from Exeter, Leeds, Nottingham etc of private school sloanes sticking together in exclusive cliques.

BlackMogul Tue 10-Sep-13 20:31:28

You appear to have a problem with people you consider to be Sloans! Rather outdated now I think. The Chinese students set the standard in sciences at DDs school too but you are rarely real friends with them. They study, work hard and go home. There is a diversity at other universities, obviously, but London unis have many more foreign students and in some courses hardly any home students, and the cost of living is more. We have direct experience of students having to live further out and £550 a month plus food, transport, entertainment (endless choice of expensive bars and clubs), bills, etc is too expensive for some so they do live further out. I think you either crave London because you are not familiar with it and it seems exciting, but if you know it already and have had access to it, going somewhere else and coming back to London in the holidays can be more appealing. Ex pats and foreign students want London that's why the courses have so many of them.

Shootingatpigeons Wed 11-Sep-13 00:14:18

Not at all outdated, I am relying on DD and their peer's feedback and attitudes, perhaps you should go visit the bar at Leeds or Nottingham on a wednesday night to listen to the banter of the modern day Sloan. If it is outdated why do they send them up in Fresh Meat! (A comedy that seems to resonate as much with DD and her peers experience of student life as it does with that of my peers)

You seem to have a problem with Chinese students though, or at least with your stereotypical view. DD doesn't and counts some amongst her closest friends. It's a bit like saying ALL British students spend their time pissed up in the bar.

I assure you I know London very well, but any cravings / illusions on my part, or the way I take advantage of living in reach of the capital would be irrelevant since it is the experience of DD and her peers I am describing, and providing as feedback to OP. I was actually concerned when DD fixed on UCL as a result of the course, because I thought the social life would not be on a plate as it is at other unis, there was a risk she wouldn't get into halls and we were concerned about the expense. I was wrong, she got into halls, and she has had a great time socially as well as really enjoying her course. She has discovered another London, student London. They do not suffer from the high cost of weekend entertainment in the capital because they know where to drink, eat and club cheaply, plenty of cheap student nights / venues that cater to students and in fact she knows students at unis across London, especially LSE and Imperial (not KCL so much, a deep and long rivalry wink ) . There is also so much more to student life in the capital, cheap theatre tickets, secret cinema, student theatre etc etc

She has two flatmates whose parents cannot afford to contribute to their education but with a loan, maintenance grant, scholarships and bursaries (which UCL give out automatically to students in their position) they actually get by comfortably, save even. And their latest flat which they got easily through an estate agent in mid August (no having to committ to a student house 10 months in advance with the risk you might fall out with your would be housemates in between as happens in most uni cities ) is a 20 min bus ride from UCL (4 stops on the northern line, but bus is cheaper) .

Theirs isn't an isolated experience either, I really do not recognise what you are describing from the experiences of the students I know who are studying in London now (and I am actually a postgrad student at another London uni)

BlackMogul Wed 11-Sep-13 01:20:24

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Shootingatpigeons Wed 11-Sep-13 07:27:39

black mogal OP asked for feedback on the practical and people's experiences. You provided yours, I provided those of my DD and her peers. In that context your 1.20 am post is entirely unnecessary, not to mention unpleasant.

Shootingatpigeons Wed 11-Sep-13 09:03:24

OP Re: overseas students this www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/international/international-students-the-facts/by-university/ provides you with an accurate breakdown. KCL has 19% which is really not that exceptional for a UK uni, behind Manchester, on a par with Bath.

mummyofteens Thu 12-Sep-13 20:31:12

thank you for your replies smile i am just interested in hearing people's opinions, what they have experienced (or their children). All information gratefully received. My DD is going to apply to Kings, I just have reservations regarding location, 2nd year accommodation etc

peteneras Fri 13-Sep-13 02:30:31

”My DD is going to apply to Kings . . . ”

Your DD has made a fantastic choice - she’s applying to one of the world’s TOP 20 universities out of over 9,000! Some might even say double that 9000 to around the world’s 17,000 universities!

KCL is of course, right smack in the heart of London; besides its universities, arguably also the greatest city on earth where all the buzz is. smile

Welcome to London!

mummyofteens Fri 13-Sep-13 10:47:29

So Peteneras, I take it you are a huge fan of Kings I take it smile tbf i think Kings is a long shot for her but we shall see

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now