Uni Open Days

(72 Posts)
Horsemad Fri 23-Aug-13 11:40:21

DS1 will go into the 6th form in Sept; when do they start to go to uni open days? I know a lot of unis have their open days in Sept/ Oct. Would it be better to go this year or next?

BackforGood Fri 23-Aug-13 12:04:31

In Summer Term of L6th, and/or Autumn Term of U6th. Most 6th forms will have talks and meetings to tell you all about it once they've started.

Horsemad Fri 23-Aug-13 13:54:06

Thanks BackforGood smile

SlowlorisIncognito Fri 23-Aug-13 14:23:12

He will have to start thinking about UCAS September next year, so ideally the majority of open day visits should be before then. The summer term of y12 will be best, as having done a year of A levels, he will hopefully have a firmer idea of what to apply for. However, there is nothing stopping him going to a few visits this year if he wants to.

Horsemad Fri 23-Aug-13 16:22:53

Thanks Slowlor. I bet it will come round really quickly.

ISingSoprano Fri 23-Aug-13 17:46:21

Definitely plan to go to some next summer at the end of L6 and maybe some more in the autumn. Ds was invited to post-offer open days too which actually were much more helpful as he got a much closer insight into the departments and had much more opportunity to talk to staff and students already on the course.

creamteas Fri 23-Aug-13 18:48:05

If your DS has an idea about what he wants to do, there is not harm in going to one or two this autumn, especially if you are near to some universities (even if these are not ones he will be applying to). This will give him a chance to think through what he is looking for before the main round starts!

exgov Fri 23-Aug-13 19:03:56

Beware that sometimes the open days clash - so it's worth going to the y12 summer ones. Also, some get booked up early, so find out when the dates are available (usually about Feb-March) and book early!

Horsemad Fri 23-Aug-13 22:13:58

That's a good idea creamtea, I'll suggest it to him.
exgov I didn't realise you had to book! Thought you just turned up!!! Glad I asked this question now. grin

creamteas Fri 23-Aug-13 23:48:47

The main reason that universities asked you to book is for marketing afterwards grin.

The general open days are far too busy to check people in and out in my experience so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

MissMarplesBloomers Sat 24-Aug-13 08:30:20

We waitied till the summer term of Y12 then found a lot of open days were on the autumn!

If you are trying to whittle down the list of choices then it might be helpful to go and see some this autumn to spread the load, you can always go back again if you need to.

Also Oxbridge applicants have to get their forms in so much earlier that if that's an option earlier the better for visits.

I found giving DD the responsibility of coming up with a shortlist the best way. she did the research i was the taxi!

Also going to the open days (at her request) was useful for me, as they usually have a parent'family info session that helped me get my head round the fees/grants malarkey.

Good luck!

Horsemad Sat 24-Aug-13 08:36:01

AIBU to be excited about this?!!

Fairdene Sat 24-Aug-13 10:06:25

Two of my DC went to an Open Day yesterday for which they had to book and which they said they had to queue for a long while to sign in for and which was full, so no room for late comers at all.

Horsemad Sat 24-Aug-13 10:31:57

Thanks Fairdene we're in the sticks so probably sensible to book and then not a wasted journey.

Fairdene Sat 24-Aug-13 11:36:11

Which universities and subjects is he interested in OP? My DCs' school only allows two days off for uni visits so they've tended to visit places in the holidays on the whole. Post offer days are all very well, but don't help much with decisions on the initial four to five choices.

Horsemad Sat 24-Aug-13 14:55:30

Fairdene He's going to be doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry and is keen to do a Computer Science degree.

He hasn't really mentioned university choices, although he did mention Oxbridge but I don't know how serious he is.

alreadytaken Sat 24-Aug-13 15:43:00

definitely go to ones close at hand, others if you can afford it. You are normally asked to book subject talks and they do sometimes check for those as they can be over-subscribed. Medical schools always check and I have a suspicion that at interview they slightly favour those who visited. When they have an idea of where they want to go you may learn a lot from the admission tutors about what they really look for, it's not always what they say on their websites.

mumeeee Sat 24-Aug-13 15:59:10

DD3 is off to Bolton in September to do a computer degree. She did have to book for the open day and they did check when she got there this was the same for other open days, I thunk it helps the university give you the right information.

yellowballoons Sat 24-Aug-13 16:01:28

Go to both.
We had a look around several unis, and took younger teenage children too.

Fairdene Sat 24-Aug-13 17:19:53

I personally don't see much point wasting time going to any open days at all which your DS isn't seriously contemplating, even if a uni is nearby. My DC reject out of hand the good RG uni which is close by, on precisely the grounds that it is close by!

Fairdene Sat 24-Aug-13 17:30:51

Computer Science isn't my thing but I do know that while Oxford is ranked top in the UK, by no means all the colleges offer it as an undergraduate degree and of those colleges who do offer it, some only take one student a year - just a handful of colleges have a tolerable number. Anyhow, your DS should certainly visit if he's reasonably keen.

Horsemad Sat 24-Aug-13 18:06:41

I've just checked the top 10 UK universities for Comp Sci & there isn't one within 100 miles of us!!

We do live in the back of beyond, mind!

Horsemad Sat 24-Aug-13 18:27:53

I've just checked the top 10 UK universities for Comp Sci & there isn't one within 100 miles of us!!

We do live in the back of beyond, mind!

Horsemad Sat 24-Aug-13 18:29:30

Sorry for double post!

Fairdene Sat 24-Aug-13 22:33:37

In that case Oxford will offer free overnight accommodation for the Open day next June smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now