Tablet pc for uni??

(13 Posts)
Butternutnut Thu 15-Aug-13 16:33:19

DS has got into uni (hurAAAh!!) and has a huge laptop that he can't lug around. But he can't write very well. He wants a tablet to carry to lectures etc but is this practical?

Any suggestions or tips welcome.

ILoveWoollyStuff Thu 15-Aug-13 20:54:33

Well done to your DS (and you!) smile I'm not sure I'd go for a tablet, it depends how easy he finds them to write on - I much prefer a keyboard but I might just be being "old school". What about a "Chromebook" for lectures, my brother has one that he takes to lectures and then picks his cloud based docs up on his pc when he gets back to his uni lodgings. They're not much heavier or larger than a tablet (11" screen) and with a better/similar spec to a tablet and about the same price (if you get a decent sized tablet) but they have a keyboard.

Personally, I'm going to lug my laptop, newly purchased for the purpose as I'll spend most of my days on site and I can't face the small screen of a Chromebook and know I'll never use the "household" pc for uni work.

<chuffed to be going to uni as a mature student emoticon>

Butternutnut Fri 16-Aug-13 15:12:58

Well done you too then!! Good luck on your course. I will have a look at Chromebook

JETS Sun 18-Aug-13 08:09:42

Depends on money and course....most uni good access to computers...if you have the dollar Apple do student prices for MacBook....there are plenty of net books out there if its weight that's the problem....

RegainingUnconsciousness Sun 18-Aug-13 08:23:44

I've done a little course this year and found my iPad to be amazing.

I've used the notability app and a stylus to make handwritten or typed notes, include pictures and it also records audio time linked to your notes.

Combined with his current laptop (for writing assignments on) it should be enough.

QuiteOldGal Sun 18-Aug-13 08:33:21

DS who has just finished 2nd year says that he could manage quite easily with a tablet but he does use the uni computers and printer an awful lot and lives near the uni. He says he can concentrate much more using the uni library to study. So it probably would depend where your DS was and access to the uni computers.

Unfortunately you don't usually have the information before they start to know what is best to buy and also where they might end up living in relationship to the uni when they get a student house.

At the moment DS has a 13" laptop but I think he wants an ipad instead.

and well done to your DS.

QuiteOldGal Sun 18-Aug-13 08:36:35

Oh, just seen he has already got the large laptop so as Regaining says get a tablet that supplements it, and leave the laptop in the room.

Spottypurse Sun 18-Aug-13 08:39:04

If he can't write well, he should contact student support and disability services at his Uni and they will be able to advise him.

Good luck!

MissMarplesBloomers Sat 24-Aug-13 08:35:05

AS Spotty says ge in touch with the Uni & see what help they can provide.

Young friend of mine was diagnosed very late in her school life with dyslexia and has had loads of help with lappy, printer & software to make life easier and it has taken (some) of the worry out of her essay writing and so she can concentrate on the content rather than getting her thoughts down on paper.

Fuzzymum1 Tue 27-Aug-13 11:17:21

Some courses supply a tablet - I'm not sure if it's only specific ones - my friend's son is doing robotics at plymouth and will be given an ipad mini and my son is doing games technology at coventry and will be given an android tablet - it is shown in the course details on the uni website.

mumeeee Tue 27-Aug-13 21:43:42

Spotty DD3 has Dyspraxia AMD applied for DSA. She is getting a laptop, printer and a electronic. recordet to record lectures as well as other stuff to help her at uni and she already has an appointment to see the Disability Advisor at Bolton when
she gets there,

mumeeee Tue 27-Aug-13 21:45:53

That last post wsd for the OP
not spotty, I wrote that by mistake

BlehPukeVomit Wed 28-Aug-13 12:22:17

I would get an ipad and a little light seperate blue tooth keyboard. He can then choose a keyboard that is really comfortable. They even do roll up ones.
I would also get a portable power source for the ipad as he may forget to recharge it the Bluetooth function will drain the battery faster.

I would get a low spec IPad to keep costs down and just in case it gets stolen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now