Can you defer an offer made through clearing?

(20 Posts)
amumthatcares Wed 14-Aug-13 23:47:50

DD thinks you can confused

No - the whole point of it is to fill vacancies for this year.

creamteas Sat 17-Aug-13 12:37:21

I have known for it to happen grin

but usually it is better to just not go through clearing and apply next year.

SlowlorisIncognito Mon 19-Aug-13 23:08:28

It might be theoretically possible, but why would you want to? Why not just take a gap year and reapply next year?

amumthatcares Tue 20-Aug-13 11:38:13

I know, seems a crazy thing to ask but the reason for the question arose was mainly because of accommodation not being available this year and secondly DD's grades were ABB and has got a course through clearing which would normally be AAB - if she applied next year, she would have to re-sit something to guarantee the required grades

Rummikub Tue 20-Aug-13 11:40:20

Which course? Which university? And how far away is it from family home? It sounds like too good an offer to refuse.

SavoyCabbage Tue 20-Aug-13 11:52:09

Isn't the point of clearing to fill all the spaces?

amumthatcares Tue 20-Aug-13 12:10:45

Rummikub Psychology @ Sussex and it is 130 miles away from home sad

Savoy that's what I thought smile

SilverApples Tue 20-Aug-13 12:20:56

Sussex is an excellent uni, and the transport links are good to most places.
130 miles is around 2 hours travelling?
I'd grab the chance.

Rummikub Tue 20-Aug-13 12:24:50

Where is her preferred choice? Was it in her original Ucas application?

amumthatcares Tue 20-Aug-13 12:27:17

Thank you Silver she has! Yes, the transport links are good unless you are in a car and contending with the M25 & M1

Has she asked them if they would let her defer?

amumthatcares Tue 20-Aug-13 12:30:04

Rummikub No, it wasn't in her original application because she knew she wouldn't achieve AAB

Purple - we haven't yet, waiting to see whether she is successful with the accommodation - if she is, it's all systems go grin

Rummikub Tue 20-Aug-13 12:31:22

Oh good, she's taken the opportunity. Well done to your dd! It's a great opportunity.

SilverApples Tue 20-Aug-13 12:31:55

Yes, but her student railcard would work beautifully, and there are three or four trains an hour to London.
She's accepted? smile
Brighton is a great city to be a student in.

amumthatcares Tue 20-Aug-13 12:39:59

Railcard is top of the list! smile

Thank you all

creamteas Tue 20-Aug-13 12:48:02

Is she on the waiting list for accommodation? There are always a few people who don't turn up, so she might get something a couple of weeks into term.

amumthatcares Tue 20-Aug-13 13:04:04

Yes creamteas she made her application as soon as she could officially apply to Sussex on UCAS. They did say when we went on Saturday that they had approx 200 places for accommodation available and it would be on a first come first served basis. Just hoping that as she got released and applied so quickly that she will be lucky.

I would also like to take the opportunity creamteas to thank you, you have helped me a lot with my DD's dilemma and your advice has been invaluable thanks

creamteas Tue 20-Aug-13 14:57:13

No problem, I'm just glad it all seems to be working out ok.

MABS Mon 26-Aug-13 14:08:47

am near Brighton, so any questions, just ask

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now