Results Day and UCAS

(371 Posts)

Eldest DD is expecting A level results on 15th so this is my first experience of UCAS. She seems to think her results will go to UCAS before they are emailed to her by her school, and so she will find out if she has made her offer by checking her UCAS account. She also thinks this happens at midnight. Can anyone confirm any of this, please?

eatyourveg Wed 07-Aug-13 13:03:47

Last year we looked at midnight but there was nothing there. ds found out he had got into his firm because they sent an email around 7am congratulating him and asking him if he wanted to accept decline or defer. They weren't allowed to go into school before 10.30 by which time it hardly mattered what his grades were. Track updated around 7.20-7.30

sashh Wed 07-Aug-13 19:27:02

If DD receives a pack with all the details of her accommodation and course from Birmingham then she is in. It happens occasionally.

hollolew2 Wed 07-Aug-13 21:03:54

Take cream teas advice . My son didn't meet his grades last year and he's taken a year out to resit . Frankly and he would agree with me he wasn't ready in any way to go to Uni academically or socially . He's really grown up this year went to a resit college and although he had a bad time during the first term when everyone went to Uni ( a few came back!) and he got flu and his girlfriend finished with him( ta love!) but he gradually realised what he had to do he pulled up his grades in January geography by 35 ums on one paper so fingers crossed he'll improve some more across the board he also spoke to the admissions tutor to find out if they'd offer him a place for this year which they did with the same grades . The university likes students that resit in their opinion they are more mature and work harder. Good luck next week try not to panic it's all very emotional but they do sort themselves out in the end.

dotnet Thu 08-Aug-13 07:55:34

I haven't read all of the thread, but applicants needn't be as nervous as before. According to Radio 4, even the Russell Group universities will be taking people from Clearing this coming year. This is owing to the reduction of numbers of people applying, because of the gigantic and unfeeling ballsup of the coalition in deciding it's perfectly fine to throw school leavers in England into deep debt (no subsidy for tuition fees, unlike in Wales; free education still continues in Scotland.)
Alex Salmond for PM!

Moominmammacat Thu 08-Aug-13 10:53:36

Not much use to everyone going through the mill but my DS took a gap year and applied post-results. Now got course and accom. sorted, all fairly painless, so much less stressful than this horrid wait.

Mumofthreeteens Mon 12-Aug-13 10:17:39

Thanks for all the above advice. Very helpful. Feeling very nervous for ds. Oh well, what will be will be!

twistyfeet Mon 12-Aug-13 17:48:28

Is there a watch thread yet? This is my third year doing this and third time and it doesnt get any easier. Number 1 easily made her grades but number 2 missed his by one grade and we had 3 hours of hell waiting for the email from his chosen university to see if they'd accepted him (they did) after he'd phoned me from the achool to say he'd got ABB instead of the required AAB. Now number 3 will go to the school on the 15th and needs AAB (every single bloody university offer was AAB so his 1st choice and backup require the same).
sob
And one day it will be number 4...

Kez100 Mon 12-Aug-13 19:58:18

Moomin mamma - what did your son do in the meantime? Did he manage to work, or did he study still?

greenfolder Mon 12-Aug-13 20:01:10

so, just to clarify- if dd logs on to ucas, track will tell her if 1st choice have accepted her if she just misses her grades. if it says she has been unsuccessful- no point in begging. if it still says unconditional she should ring and beg- who does she ring? just the number on the uni website?

if she gets her insurance place, can she hang on to it whilst looking through clearing to see if there is another course at first choice that might take her?

1st child to go through this with!

creamteas Mon 12-Aug-13 21:34:22

Greenfolder Most All unis will have a clearing and confirmation number, if you look it is probably already on their website.

If she gets her insurance grades she will be automatically going there unless she asks to be released. She will need to get confirmation from the uni she wants to go to that she will be accepted, then contact her insurance uni to be released before she can then formally apply through clearing.

At my uni, if we think an applicant might be suitable for an alternative course when they have missed there offer, we contact them to ask them if they want a place on it anyway. So this may have already been considered

MissMarplesBloomers Mon 12-Aug-13 22:04:28

oh lordy, a gap year is something we haven't really considered, can't afford to have her at home (although I'd love to obviously if she wanted to) now her dad has stopped maintenance.

Just have to try & keep calm........first time at this for me too, didn't go to Uni myself so complete numpty, thank god for MN!

<passes Gin, Chocolate & Wine round>

creamteas Mon 12-Aug-13 22:17:05

MissMarples your DD would be able to claim Jobseekers Allowance if she was looking for work even if it is a gap year.

Not ideal, but better than a £9,000+ bill for a wasted first year at uni....

MissMarplesBloomers Tue 13-Aug-13 14:33:36

Thanks creamteas good to know that.

happilyconfused Tue 13-Aug-13 18:36:16

As a head of a sixth form I really support creamteas words. Do not accept clearing places unless it is a course the student wants to read and a place they want to go to. The wrong decision means an extra £9k in fees plus living costs so it could easily amount to £16k going down the pan.

If you think that clearing is a possibility research the courses now. Course assessment varies - some are more exam based others have practicals / coursework. Assessment also varies according to modules picked. Is there a foundation year offered in the subject as the uni where your dc has an offer?

Two cherubs pitched up in the summer term, one to say he was switching to another uni as he hated the one he was at (a Russell group one) and another said he hated the course and wanted to pick something else.

Do not panic. My advice is always 'as one door closes then another opens', there is always another way. Plus I take in lots of chocolatesmile

NewFairy Wed 14-Aug-13 07:00:44

DS friend's mum is head of 6th form at their school. She will be in school today helping to get the packs ready for students tomorrow. So she will know her son's results, but won't be able to tell him till ?midnight.

Imagine how hard that must be.
Then tomorrow she will busy helping every one else with clearing, priority re-marks, checking that AS students have done well enough to continue to year 13 etc. and not really be able to help her DS very much at all - if needed.

exgov Wed 14-Aug-13 09:20:45

I'm planning on enjoying a day of blissful ignorance. Tomorrow may be great or awful, but today I can believe in great!

Isaidhangonamin Wed 14-Aug-13 10:11:23

shock just saying.....

Will you all post tomorrow with updates? Good and bad. This is my first time and I feel sick and teary. I'm usually so chilled.

MABS Wed 14-Aug-13 12:35:37

am really feeling sick, just back from lovely holiday, but dd stressed . sure she not got the abb, and sadly I believe her sad

NewFairy Wed 14-Aug-13 12:56:38

I have just had a text from school to say they are bringing forward the time to collect the A2 results.
I hope its because staff are feeling kind and will get in early - not because the results are dreadful and extra time will be needed for clearing

JGBMum Wed 14-Aug-13 13:01:42

MABS - I hope your DD has done better than you fear. TBF she had a lot happening at exam time, so the results are not going to be a fair reflection of her true ability sad

Is it worth looking at the early clearing places so that she has a back up?

Useful link here - The Student Room

MABS Wed 14-Aug-13 13:45:17

thanks JGB, really appreciate that ( things much same with ds sadly )

eatyourveg Wed 14-Aug-13 14:11:47

MABS don't despair if your dd didn't make the ABB cut off - the way I look at it (rightly or wrongly) is that the unis will take all the ABB+ people who applied seeing as there is no quota and use their quota for >ABB students who had originally applied but narrowly missed. Only then will they look at those coming via clearing. My theory however falls apart completely if its a science subject limited by lab space but at least its a possible positive to hang on to.

If however track comes up with undecided I'm sure I read somewhere that it is crucial to get on the phone to explain any extenuating circumstances and be sure to get school to put something in writing confirming it.

MissMarplesBloomers Wed 14-Aug-13 15:35:11

<taking notes>

gawd don't think I've been this nervous in years!!

DD1 is at her Dads tonight so we can't even stay up watching the emails together!!!!

I'm collecting her first thing & we're going for an early breakfast near school (well hot choccy) wish her school would open early!

Norem Wed 14-Aug-13 16:04:06

Another one waiting here, ds finished his advanced highers last year, missed out on his preferred uni and has resat this year so we find out tomorrow. Nervous does not even cover it .

MissMarplesBloomers Wed 14-Aug-13 17:24:39

Is it too early for wine

Just had a crisp sandwich, its getting bad if I'm on the junk food already.

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now