City University - any thoughts or experiences?

(7 Posts)
merlincat Fri 05-Jul-13 20:03:32

My Dd (year 12) wants to do a music degree and has fallen in love with City. She loves the location (Islington, what's not to like!) with the proximity to prestigious musical venues and just the general vibe. She's a very young and fragile 17yr old so I would worry about her rattling around a non-campusy place but I guess I'm going to worry wherever she is....

Raeray Fri 05-Jul-13 22:08:15

I did a short post grad course with city and found them brilliant. Excellent lecturers and beautiful buildings!
I came to uni in London from the countryside and faired ok - I did take a year out post school first so was 19 when I moved - working to raise money for books, fees and partying!
Is this something your daughter might consider?
London uni life really is fantastic and i'd really recommend it to you (as it sounds like your daughter is convinced already! wink )

Parisbanana Fri 05-Jul-13 22:13:38

Yes I moved from semi rural to London at 18...don't know how parents coped! I moved to Whitechapel!
It will be weird but she'll have a ball, and City has a fab reputation. I now live very near there, having never left London after moving here nearly 30 years ago!
Good luck to her smile

Raeray Fri 05-Jul-13 22:28:15

Paris in the same - still here post uni nearly 10 years down the line grin

Raeray Fri 05-Jul-13 22:28:32

*i'm

Parisbanana Fri 05-Jul-13 22:40:05

I don't think we'll ever leave now. We used to talk about retiring to somewhere quieter but actually when we retire we'll have so much more time to do everything London has to offe!
Merlincat I was adamant at her age and just wanted the whole london experience. It is a brilliant place and she obviously has done her research.

Copthallresident Mon 08-Jul-13 09:09:33

I did a postgrad at City, not music, had a great time, not just in Islington but in the East End as well. Now that is far more salubrious, trendy and the place for the cutting edge arts these days. DD is at another London university and also having a great time. Her first year halls were right in the centre of London, now she lives in a fairly rough area of London not a million miles from City, but not as rough as some of the areas her friends live in in Leeds, Nottingham, Bristol.....

And yes you will worry, don't we all.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now