Note: This topic is for discussing highchairs. If you want to buy or sell highchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

High chair to reach breakfast bar height?

(11 Posts)
Totesamazeballs Tue 03-Sep-13 15:02:36

Hi,
I have been using my stokke Tripp trapp for over a year now and while I get that it's good for DS to rest his feet against something, we no longer have a kitchen table so we can't use it without a tray, negating the whole stokke concept of eating with your child at the table.

What we do now have is a breakfast bar and I really want to find a chair that reaches to that height so he can eat with us every day. An added bonus would be if it has a baby attachment so number two can be kept safe off ground level!

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you!

Beehatch Tue 03-Sep-13 15:09:15

I never found one, even the expensive gas-lift ones don't go that high. You are left with a booster seat option that fixes to a bar-height chair, or one of those clip on ones like the Phil & Teds Me Too. We got the Concord Lima (think it is marketed by someone else now) with a removable tray so could use stand-alone, it was great.

Totesamazeballs Tue 03-Sep-13 15:42:31

Thanks Bee. We have a travel one that fixes to a bar seat but DS can push himself and seat backwards by holding onto the breakfast bar so I can't turn my back for a second.

I am surprised nothing is out there given modern day living/kitchen designs. Perhaps this is how I will make our millions!

Beehatch Tue 03-Sep-13 16:19:51

Oh yes the push off backwards trick, we did end up employing a bungee which went round a table leg to stop that happening. We had a bar height table though, not so easy with a breakfast bar, unless you could screw in a hook or something to loop the bungee round.

I always though there was a case for IKEA selling extra long legs for their Antilop. I guess the problem would probably lie in the floor space that the spread of the legs would require

BikeRunSki Tue 03-Sep-13 16:20:33

I had the same problem. Mamas and Papas Loop (one of the expensive poncey gas lift ones) . It is fine for our breakfast bat (90 cm high), but a bugger to clean and has seized at the height it is set at. Another triumph of M&P style over substance.

BikeRunSki Tue 03-Sep-13 16:21:35

Yo Suschi use the Bloom hydraulic lift highchsir, which seems to be the best of this type of design for bars.

Totesamazeballs Tue 03-Sep-13 18:31:55

Thanks for the suggestions guys. We don't have a table leg to secure the chair against so at the mo I just hang on!

Will check out the bloom although the base doesn't look massively stable against a toddler trying to tip himself over but perhaps nothing really is! And flip its expensive!!

I might implore Ikea to do something.

Loupee Tue 03-Sep-13 18:47:48

We have a breakfast bar height table and use the brother max Scoop high chair. Not the cheapest option, but have been using it for 8 months now with no complaint. Easy to clean, nice and sturdy, easy to adjust for different table heights and should last a couple more years yet, then hopefully for the next baby as well.
I wouldn't recommend it if you are tight of space though as it is bulky and be folded to put out the way.

Totesamazeballs Tue 03-Sep-13 20:10:23

Thanks Loupee. Can it be used in a reclined position for a baby?

Loupee Fri 06-Sep-13 14:20:20

Sorry just seen this.
No, it's doesn't recline at all, not suitable for newborns at all.

Totesamazeballs Fri 06-Sep-13 17:01:25

Ah, ok thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now