Note: This topic is for discussing highchairs. If you want to buy or sell highchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Opinion sought: Newborn - what do I really need

(32 Posts)
ScarletteOTara Wed 10-Oct-12 20:51:43

Evening mumnetters!

Its my first post, so please excuse any terrible faux pas!

Firstborn is due on Christmas Eve. So far I own zero baby shizz. Starting to think my laidback attitude might be a little foolish at this stage!!

I've found all the product reviews etc on here super helpful but I have a question - I'm sure someone else has probably asked this before so sorry if I'm being annoying and duplicating another thread.

What are the ABSOLUTE ESSENTIALS where furniture is concerned. I'm thinking

Cot (Secondhand Stokke Sleepi)
Bouncer (considering Baby Bjorn or Bloom Coco)
Highchair (considering Tripp Trapp or Antilope)

MN seems to be a big advocate of the Ikea Antilope and Stokke Tripp Trapp. Working in architecture, I'm a total sucker for form over function so I'm tempted by a (secondhand) Tripp Trapp plus the newborn kit. Might get an Antilope as a cheapy backup cos Tripp Trapps seem pretty easy to shift on eBay if it doesn't work out. You lot have put me off a Bloom Fresco as all the reviews say its difficult to clean - which means a secondhand one from eBay is probs going to be grubby at best.

But my question is this - did you use a highchair from newborn? Shall I just pop DC in a bouncer or similar on the table while we eat? I'm a bit clueless. Or will DC just be hanging out in their crib or on my knee?

Thanks in advance for your help! smile

x

notMarlene Mon 15-Oct-12 19:16:43

Sounds like the babybjorn nance! I'd definitely have gone for a cheaper version but am not in the UK and the babybjorn was the only proper old school bouncer to found.

BertieBotts Mon 15-Oct-12 19:22:08

The bjorn bouncer is unique because it's stable to use once they can sit unassisted as well - normal bouncers just become unstable once the baby tries to sit up by themself with too much force!

Saying that I got a £2 one from an NCT sale and it was fab - literally just what looked like a giant folded coathanger with a bit of material hung over it and a crotch strap grin - worked great for us and by the time he could sit DS mainly wanted to be crawling about or in his jumperoo anyway. (He did the crawling/sitting thing back to front!)

As highchairs go I'd go for the antilop or what I got was a booster seat thing with a tray - the fisher price "healthy care" one. There are a few cute designs of it and some of them come with a play tray. This is useful if you have a small kitchen as it just straps to a normal chair so doesn't take up any extra room. It does take up a chair, though - and your chairs might end up encrusted with food! I agree there is no point at all to a high chair when they're a newborn, only once they get to about 4/5 months and can sit with support and want to see what's going on.

My friend had a nice rocker for her baby which was at about waist height, it was a funny thing, useful for her second child, as the toddler couldn't reach the baby to poke it! I can't remember what it was called though, but it's an idea for something different. Really when they're under 4 months they don't need to be high up though, they want to be able to see and focus on you and they can't see very far, so a bouncer if you're sitting down and a sling if you're moving about are perfect. I liked stretchy wrap slings for the newborn phase and then moved onto a soft structured carrier for toddler back carries, but Mei Tais look nice too, I think I'd have liked one of those if I'd got the hang of it.

BertieBotts Mon 15-Oct-12 19:25:03

Oh and my only other must-have for newborns is to get a cot which you can convert into a co-sleeper. Any of the ikea cots which are designed to stand up with 3 sides are perfect, as is any cotbed. Or you can buy an expensive one which is designed for the purpose, to save yourself having to drill holes etc, but it's really simple to convert one.

Even if you don't want to co sleep it can be a lifesaver to have the cot as a seamless, safe extension of your bed for the first few months, and then because they're used to the space it's easy to transition them into the cot when the night wakings become less frequent.

blushingmare Mon 15-Oct-12 19:27:36

Thanks Iwish - that's just the thing! (logs information away for DC2...) wink

mummysmellsofsick Tue 16-Oct-12 07:44:25

Hello, if you really want to talk essentials I'm your woman...

Yes you can get away without a pram/ buggy. You need a good sling (not the one with initials BB) find out where your local sling meet or library is for more info... I'm still carrying DS (nearly 1 yo) everywhere. I have a beco Gemini and a wrap (wrap most comfy, beco most convenient and still very comfy)

Then, cloth nappies... We used disposables for the first month then got size 2 washables. You can get loads of info on those in the nappy section on here

Our DS loved the baby bjorn bouncer chair and I still use it to restrain him while I'm in the shower still uses it now. That was a great eBay purchase.

Other essentials have been vests and sleep suits, bamboo wipes, muslins, car seat and that's it. We never needed a baby bath, pram, cot, Moses basket, steriliser, and all manner of other 'essentials'. After 6 months I bought a manual breast pump and some bottles so I could do pt work. I just boil them in a saucepan to sterilise.

We do use a highchair although with hindsight I'd have bought the antilop. They sit up so well in it and it's much easier to clean than our lovely east coast wooden one. I'd say it's a design masterpiece grin

Toys- I guess they need some stuff that's safe to play with but real life stuff (wooden spoons, empty milk cartons etc) are often more attractive to them than toys anyway.

mummysmellsofsick Tue 16-Oct-12 08:06:47

Re co sleeping we had a babybay which was useful as a safety barrier, though ds would only sleep if right cuddled up to me, so didn't ever sleep in it. After he became mobile we stopped using it and just got rid of the bed and we all sleep on a kingsize mattress on the floor. We'd have done that from the beginning if I hadn't thought babies were supposed to sleep in cots

The3Bears Fri 19-Oct-12 11:35:32

I have the Tripp Trapp with newborn seat onit for ds2 who is 9 weeks now, he loves to sit in it and watch me do the dishes etc so it's good for that he sometimes goes in it at meal times but not as much as I thought. I liked it because it's high up and I would recommend it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now