Note: This topic is for discussing highchairs. If you want to buy or sell highchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

If you didn't buy an Antilop high chair, why the hell not?!

(166 Posts)
princelypurpleparrot Fri 31-Aug-12 21:46:36

Obviously this only applies to those who need a high chair!

Other than a Tripp Trapp, I can't see how any other high chair can beat the Antilop in any way. It's dirt cheap, easy to clean, easily stored, and comfy. You can get that little blow up thing to give them support when they are still little, and they last for ages.

Whenever we've been to cafes / restaurants / other homes that have a different style of highchair, my DS's have never looked comfortable.

So, tell me, if you discounted the Antilop, why????????????????

smile

EdMcDunnough Mon 03-Sep-12 07:12:19

Oh and it was definitely cheaper than the TT - or I'd have bought a TT! smile

I got ours brand new for £77 I think - ebay seller but still. Or was it somewhere online where they had some old designs in the sale. I can't remember now.

EdMcDunnough Mon 03-Sep-12 07:09:55

I have got a spare (older version) babyset for the Tripp Trapp, having never had the actual chair it is still in its box.

I know the Polly is large and probably quite ugly, but I do hope no one would be daft enough to feed a child while reclining hmm.

I like the recline function because as I said, I like to use the chair as just that - a chair - it is secure as it has a harness, it's big enough for the child to be well padded and comfortable in, and it has the low setting so you can put it next to the sofa and sit down with them to play, or talk, or whatever at eye level.

And then if they get sleepy you can lower the back, and leave them there to rest.
It's like having a bouncy chair but a bit stronger, bigger and more functional, with a play tray attached.

I do think it will get a lot more use than our slimline, minimalist and rather beautiful Kuster tbh.

louisianablue2000 Mon 03-Sep-12 00:52:05

Agree, only the babyset is a necessary addition to the TT, although we also bought the straps they weren't used much and the cushion is a complete waste of money. But we have two TTs and only one babyset since DD1 didn't need it by the time DD2 did. And we have an 18 month age gap. Considering buying a third TT since DD1 doesn't want to give up 'her' chair to the baby.

Shocked at everyone thinking an Antilop or a TT is ugly in a world where the Chicco Polly exists. Ugly, plastic, expensive and with a recline option?????? Why would you want your child to recline when they are eating?

The new Tripp trapps don't tip. In the videos on YouTube the children are using an older version of the chair.

You have to pay extra for the babyset. That's the only extra bit I'd recommend - you can use any harness with it and the bit for really little babies is pointless. The cushions for the babyset are also not a hood idea - they are not required, and they make the chair more difficult to clean.

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 01-Sep-12 15:31:51

AIBU to move this to 'Highchairs and baby seats'?

(Don't answer that)

saltnpepashere Sat 01-Sep-12 15:07:47

Actually you could easily dismantle an Antilop (and store it as it doesnt take up much room at all once taken apart) in less time than it takes to put a load of toys away, but like every thing else, each to their own!

Can you tell I love our Antilop? smile

ceeveebee Sat 01-Sep-12 14:00:28

There is no plastic tat in my house once DCs in bed. Toys all go away each night. Antilop can't be put away.

I like beautiful things so no reason to ruin the view just because we now have DCs!

The Tripp trapp does not have a tray - whole point is to join everyone at the table. But you can buy a tray on amazon if you want one.

saltnpepashere Sat 01-Sep-12 13:49:24

grin at people discussing the ugliness of a highchair! Surely with a small child your house is full of loads of platic tat anyway. Personally I think they look a lot more funky that those standard cushioned highchairs.

Was just looking at the the Tripp Trapp website. Do you have to buy all the extras (like the Baby Set etc), separately in addition to the price of the chair? Also, does it come with a tray?

hawaiiWave Sat 01-Sep-12 13:25:34

Ps very happy with the noodle smile

hawaiiWave Sat 01-Sep-12 13:25:03

I bought a cossatto noodle as it seemed more comfortable and has lots of height/angle etc options. Not keen on Ikea tbh.

I wouldn't have bought one, back when we needed a highchair, because I needed one that would fold up - we'd have been tripping over the Antilop every time we moved. But it would have been far easier to keep clean than the mothercare one we ended up with. I have such happy (?) memories of gouging hardened weetabix out of the many and varied crevices on that high chair.

lljkk Sat 01-Sep-12 12:24:00

* Never heard of it

* They seem to only be sold in IKEA; I have never set food in a branch of IKEA; I think the nearest one is 1.5 hrs drive away.

* Still dearer than £8 h/chair 2nd hand off of Ebay.

I might have liked one if it turned up locally in a charity shop.

My friends used their TripTrapp as a spare adult chair at table when people visited. I have sat in it comfortably. Can adult do that with an Antilop?

IneedAgoldenNickname Sat 01-Sep-12 11:53:16

I didn't buy one because I was given a mamas and papas one for free. Plus I needed something that folded up as my house was tiny. And the mamas and papas is height adjustable, and reclines etc etc which was what I wanted.

Id love a tripp trapp as ds 2 (5.10) still can't reach the table properly from a normal chair, and he looks silly in the high chair, but sadly I can't afford one :-(

That said if I ever have another baby id be tempted by the chicco Polly as I love it!

SamuelWestsMistress Sat 01-Sep-12 11:24:40

Ha! I had no idea it was called this and was about to say that I got the best seat ever from Ikea for about £12.

They are great. I've passes mine on now to my best chum. She finds it equally as great!

pigletmania Sat 01-Sep-12 11:13:47

Oh right Exit. My dd5 is tall so could not really, ad as he is ASD would start rocking it tipping t over. No they are not fr me, op they are not everyone's taste, even though you love them

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 01-Sep-12 11:13:10

Whoever was worried about the legs falling off, they click into place.

To get the tray off pull the back (baby side) of the tray up, rather than the front.

and there is no way they can tip,the legs are really far apart making it really really stable,though you do stub your toe on them all of the time.

yes it is ugly,but it goes in the dishwasher!

ExitStencilist Sat 01-Sep-12 11:10:23

You might want to read the whole sentence piglet. : "Actually my 5 year old can fit in, though he obviously doesn't use it. "

pigletmania Sat 01-Sep-12 11:08:20

How the heck can a 5 year old fit into an Antilope, it would not be safe and surely their knees are up to their face. At that age they should be abl to sit at the table on a normal chair

pictish Sat 01-Sep-12 10:54:16

It's not ugly. It's totally ignorable.
Those big padded, over stuffed, Mamas and Papas type high chairs that dominate the kitchen are ugly.

Because I would rather shag John Prescott then go into/buy Ikea ever again.
I also hate massive bits of baby plastic tat.

We've got a booster seat thing that attaches to a dining chair.

differentnameforthis Sat 01-Sep-12 10:50:08

This Even tho dds are 9 & 4 (so the recall wasn't an issue when they were babies) the Antilop never really looked secure enough to me.

And the fact that they are ugly & aren't easily stored. We needed something that folded away.

MrsFruitcake Sat 01-Sep-12 10:42:45

Because it is so ugly and cheap looking.

Had a Chicco HappySnack for DS, which had a recline and removable, washable covers.

COCKadoodledooo Sat 01-Sep-12 10:34:10

Because ds wouldn't actually be able to sit to our table as his legs wouldn't go underneath. A table bought from Ikea, ironically. And honestly I don't remember seeing them when we needed to buy a high chair for ds1 over 8 years ago. We have a tripp trapp.

PicklesThePottyMouthedParrot Sat 01-Sep-12 09:15:15

Your lucky oo my ds is 18 months and he has been laughing in the face of that belt for over a year!

Quite amusing to watch him bust out but a total pita!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now