Note: This topic is for discussing highchairs. If you want to buy or sell highchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

If you didn't buy an Antilop high chair, why the hell not?!

(166 Posts)
princelypurpleparrot Fri 31-Aug-12 21:46:36

Obviously this only applies to those who need a high chair!

Other than a Tripp Trapp, I can't see how any other high chair can beat the Antilop in any way. It's dirt cheap, easy to clean, easily stored, and comfy. You can get that little blow up thing to give them support when they are still little, and they last for ages.

Whenever we've been to cafes / restaurants / other homes that have a different style of highchair, my DS's have never looked comfortable.

So, tell me, if you discounted the Antilop, why????????????????

smile

nannyl Fri 31-Aug-12 22:12:33

because i bought a tripp trapp

TuttoRhino Fri 31-Aug-12 22:13:40

I had a Tripp Trapp and an Antilop but had to stop using the Antilop at 8-9 months as she kept climbing out of it and onto to the table. The harness is quite rubbish at keeping the determined climber penned in.

But I loved how easy it was to clean. She's still using her Tripp Trapp at 3.3. The Antilop lives at Grandma's house.

headfairy Fri 31-Aug-12 22:13:58

Because someone else paid for my Tripp Trapp grin

Bongaloo Fri 31-Aug-12 22:15:00

Weren't the antilops recalled because of babies falling out if them?

StormGlass Fri 31-Aug-12 22:16:04

Spotted this while googling to find out what an antilop was:

Antilop safety alert

Loueytb3 Fri 31-Aug-12 22:18:51

Because we bought 2 Tripp Trapps for DTs. Didn't want the whole of the kitchen taken up with high chairs and they fit under the table so took up no space. Also i wanted them to eat at the table. They are still using them for DTs who are now 5.5 and we now have another Tripp trapp for DS3

honeydragon Fri 31-Aug-12 22:19:28

Because I wanted a Fisher Price Space Saver. Small, height adjustable, suitable for babies from birth so great for dd when she wanted to nosey me being busy. Also sits on any chair.

Vastly superior to any other highchair I've had / used.

DuckSaysQuack Fri 31-Aug-12 22:19:43

Because I want my DC to sit at the table with us, and the Antilop is the wrong height and can't be height adjusted. Also it can't push under the table like a normal chair can so its always in the way.

We have these Fisher Price booster seats. They are the best bit of baby kit I've bought since having babies. Can take them away with us, can use them with or without tray, can put on any chair, has 3 height settings. Love them!

piprabbit Fri 31-Aug-12 22:22:29

I wanted a chair that would recline (sleepy baby after eating) and fold behind the kitchen table.
Mine cost £50. It outlasted DD. It outlasted DS. Then I sold it on Ebay for £25. I think we did OK.

NoComet Fri 31-Aug-12 22:22:57

Because they didn't exist.
Ours was huge, heavy and impossible to clean. We used a folding plastic booster for far longer.

DF brought hers the other day, brilliant device. I didn't realise they came apart so easily. envy

KenDoddsDadsDog Fri 31-Aug-12 22:23:23

Because I got a Bloom Nano which does the job. I hadn't even seen the Antilop til my parents bought one for DD blush

griphook Fri 31-Aug-12 22:23:54

I had no idea what one was but if you google it half was down it talks about a recall and children falling out

Meglet Fri 31-Aug-12 22:24:18

Because I didn't realise how good they were until I no longer needed one.

Although I hated our tripp trap (DS was always trying to climb out) and sold it but I loved our polly chicco multi-coloured monstrosity. It was a bugger to clean though.

We wanted and bought a Mama's and Papa's one.

louisianablue2000 Fri 31-Aug-12 22:27:14

We have two Tripp Trapps and an Antilop. But only two childen. The Antilop is the garden highchair, and is taken on holiday since it doesn't take up much more room than a booster once the legs are off.

YANBU, I think there should be a law that all restaurants have antilops.

Noqontrol Fri 31-Aug-12 22:28:26

I got a wooden high chair from mother care, second hand, for £10. It was the best high chair ever. Looked nice, easy to keep clean, and best of all sold it for £10 when I finished with it. Cant ask for more than that. No point spending big bucks on things like high chairs.

TraineeBabyCatcher Fri 31-Aug-12 22:28:53

Because it looks frigging awful.

We had a chicco something or other and then a tripp trapp.

Loueytb3 Fri 31-Aug-12 22:29:04

Ooh - I didn't know you can take the legs
off them. We need a new booster seat for grandparents etc...

1stMrsF Fri 31-Aug-12 22:30:42

The recall was for a particular batch that had a faulty strap - the chairs themselves were safe and Ikea provided new straps for them on request. Besides, even if your child is strapped into whatever chair, you should still never leave them unsupervised, because they are very good at learning new skills in the blink of an eye.

I love my antilops (I had 8 for my DTs, 2 in kitchen, 2 in dining room and 2 at each GPs house - and still spent less than the cost of one of the wooden high chairs that I had planned to buy before I saw the antilop). Also on the subject of space and having two high chairs for twins, they do stack very easily. We now have 'high' chairs from Ikea which were only £30 each so we have the continuing advantage of the tripp trapp too, still at a bargain price!

<gets off one of favourite soap boxes>

BikeRunSki Fri 31-Aug-12 22:32:20

Because we have a breakfast bar rather than a table, and they are not that high.

Got an Antilop for Granny's though.

TiggerWearsATriteSmile Fri 31-Aug-12 22:32:58

I have a Tripp trapp.
Intended it for use through many, weaning babies.
Then I had twins! I bought an Antilop 'to tide us over' until I got the 2nd Tripp trapp. Fully, completely was buying another Tripp.

I bought a 2nd antilop! Love that chair. It is the mutts hairy sack grin

We're greedy... my 21mo dd has 4 Antilop chairs and a Tripp Trapp!

The Tripp Trapp is in the kitchen, so we can sit at the table as a family.

One antilope lives in the living room (useful for snacks/painting/messy stuff)
One lives with my Mum, who we see for tea regularly

One lives with her Oma (Grandmother) in Holland
One lives with her Aunt, again in Holland (but the other side of the country)

They are so cheap but practical, that it was silly not to!

5madthings Fri 31-Aug-12 22:33:39

we have tripp trapp chairs for the boys and ds1 who is 13 will be using an adult chair soon, but we needed a high chair for dd but space wise needed one that can fold, the antilop doesnt fold so no good for us, we got a cheapish chicco chair that does the job, is easy to clean etc. dd 20mths will soon be using ds1's old tripp trapp, they are great and if we had the space we would have just got a 5th tripp trapp tho i am a bit miffed at how they have risen in price since we got our first one!

We use a harness for DS in the Tripp Trapp. It was a cheap harness from argos or somewhere. I don't think any less of my Tripp Trapp - Stokke sell harnesses but ours does the job just fine.

hazeyjane Fri 31-Aug-12 22:34:22

We had one, but now ds is 2 and fairly chunky, we struggle to get him in and out of it, and then he starts to fight being in the chair.

Fortunately we had a babydan (bit like a tripptrapp), which we used for the dds, but were going to sell. So we are using that at home, and have bought a second hand handysitt for taking out and about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now