Note: This topic is for discussing highchairs. If you want to buy or sell highchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

If you didn't buy an Antilop high chair, why the hell not?!

(166 Posts)
princelypurpleparrot Fri 31-Aug-12 21:46:36

Obviously this only applies to those who need a high chair!

Other than a Tripp Trapp, I can't see how any other high chair can beat the Antilop in any way. It's dirt cheap, easy to clean, easily stored, and comfy. You can get that little blow up thing to give them support when they are still little, and they last for ages.

Whenever we've been to cafes / restaurants / other homes that have a different style of highchair, my DS's have never looked comfortable.

So, tell me, if you discounted the Antilop, why????????????????

smile

Hopefully Fri 31-Aug-12 21:58:17

Because we bought Tripp trapps, which I love. So pleasing grin

Cannot imagine a sub £100 chair that is better than the antilop, am always stunned by friends' massive high chairs with integral trays/cushions/28-point harnesses/rocket boosters etc.

Rosebud05 Fri 31-Aug-12 21:58:19

Because I wanted one that would fold up.

CouthyMow Fri 31-Aug-12 21:58:48

Because I was given a Graco tearing one for nothing. Though due to the cheapness of the Antilop, it was what I would have bought had I not had a freebie.

Anonymumous Fri 31-Aug-12 21:58:52

Because I have a wonderful fabric seat that screws onto the breakfast bar and can be easily washed in the washing machine after every feed. I would never buy an ordinary high chair ever again!

Olympicnmix Fri 31-Aug-12 21:58:58

Like Iggly, bought a fairly expensive wooden one before I'd heard of Antilopp on MN. It saw through 3 dcs and was very happy to see it go to the charity shop, in very good nick, but still a total bastard to clean.

CouthyMow Fri 31-Aug-12 21:59:24

Tearing = tea time. Bastard Autocorrect.

PicklesThePottyMouthedParrot Fri 31-Aug-12 22:01:07

In thought it was a high chair that cried!

grin

ceeveebee Fri 31-Aug-12 22:01:14

I got a handy sitt for my DTs (well, two of course) as it means they eat at the table, has a five point harness and folds up neatly. I thought would be "handy" for visiting other houses as unlikely to have 2 high chairs. Also can be used on the floor and have done so lots of times in the garden this summer

www.stokke.com/en-gb/highchair/stokke-handysitt/product-information/handysitt.aspx

Iggly I was the same, then I discovered, putting one hand on the seat and wrenching the try upwards with the other worked fine. They can really take some man handling.

WelshMaenad Fri 31-Aug-12 22:03:09

I fail to see how an antilop could be outgrown at 18mo. My 2.5 year old is still using his and has room to spare, we've only just unknotted the harness straps to utilise the full length of them.

BumsyClugger Fri 31-Aug-12 22:03:37

Because I got a pretty much brand new fucking massive Chicco Polly for free and you can't argue with free.

PeazlyPops Fri 31-Aug-12 22:03:47

I wanted one for DS as i've heard good things, but DH was totally against it. I have to agree with him though, they are ugly!

BigHairyFlowers Fri 31-Aug-12 22:04:03

Because the nearest ikea is nearly 200 miles away!

Homebird8 Fri 31-Aug-12 22:04:11

Not available when we were in need so we bought a Tripp trapp. After 2 DSs and endless visiting babes/children, it's now our grownup desk chair which can be easily babysetted if a little one arrives smile

notanotter Fri 31-Aug-12 22:04:18

LOved the brother max scoop!!

ExitStencilist Fri 31-Aug-12 22:04:37

My 3 year old fits comfortably in it. Actually my 5 year old can fit in, though he obviously doesn't use it.
That would have to be some monstrous 18m old that can't fit into it.

I love the Antilop but we eat at the dining table. It would be great if you could get short legs for it.

SillySollySandy Fri 31-Aug-12 22:06:40

It's only cheap if you exclude the cost of the petrol for the 300 mile round trip to the nearest IKEA.

and it's ugly

ExitStencilist Fri 31-Aug-12 22:08:11

do you mean coffee table? confused

honeytea Fri 31-Aug-12 22:08:21

We bought a second hand BLÅMS which is the wodden version of the antilop, it was cheaper than a new antilop but we like the natural wood better as it goes better with our kitchen.

We wil buy a tripp trapp when DC gets old enough to not need the extra support, I don't like the tripp trapp baby option.

TheGOLDCunnyFunt Fri 31-Aug-12 22:08:58

Because my sister gave us her old one. Highchairs are something we never researched when we were looking at baby stuff.

princelypurpleparrot Fri 31-Aug-12 22:10:04

I agree that the Antilop isn't exactly handsome, but neither are some of the other monstrosities around! I'd have loved a Tripp Trapp but we didn't have a dining table when DC1 started weaning so it wouldn't have been much use blush.

Freshletticiaandslugs Fri 31-Aug-12 22:10:15

Because we used DH's family heirloom lovely old oak highchair, which has now gone to my niece and will carry on down the family.

haha, yes, coffee table. Could I saw read as could I get my Dad to saw the legs shorter? Atm DD is in a Bumbo on the floor, but as she outgrows that we will need something.

FIL bought us a big wooden chair/table/highchair majobba but it is the least conmfortable looking awkward high chair ever. Will hopefully be great for DD as a little chair and table when she gets to about 4/5 but naff highchair.

princelypurpleparrot Fri 31-Aug-12 22:11:59

We eat at the table now and the Antilop fits underneath it ok. I also second that they are pretty room chairs so it would have to be one large 18mo to grow out of it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now