Scary loom band story

(19 Posts)
hannag75 Thu 10-Jul-14 22:20:11

This poor child...

www.express.co.uk/news/uk/488092/Loom-band-blinds-seven-year-old-boy

His mum said there should be warnings on the packets. Do you agree?

LIZS Fri 11-Jul-14 07:32:44

No different to other elastic bands imho, or many other craft/toys (Hama beads anyone ?). I wasn't clear if the accident happened while they were using them , as designed , or messing about firing them randomly.

Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Fri 11-Jul-14 07:34:40

This is why they are banned at our school, anything in the hands of a year nine boy is a weapon.

TightyMcTight Fri 11-Jul-14 07:39:11

What would the warning be exactly? Surely it's pretty obvious that elastic at speed in the eye could cause damage?

YouAreMyRain Fri 11-Jul-14 07:43:06

I wondered how long it would be before the first loom band scare story.

He is not definitely permanently blinded though is he? He's waiting for an op.

This was inevitable, the press feeds off fear because fear sells papers/gets hits.

A child died a couple of yrs ago when a small bouncy ball bounced off the wall and down their throat and got stuck.

Most household objects or toys could be dangerous under the wrong circumstances.

Poor boy, ues - BUT his brother pinged him in the eye (accidentally or not) with a elastic band... you'd gave to put warnings on about 80% of "things that exist" to warn about every possible freak, one off OR blatently obvious possible danger in the world (butter knife may cause blindness and death if used to stab somebody in the eye with etc.). It was an unfortunate accident, but loom bands are just coloured elastic bands, no more, no less...

todayisnottheday Fri 11-Jul-14 07:47:41

Surely it'd pretty obvious to parents that their children are playing with elastic bands? Mine have the same rules as if they were playing with any elastic bands, don't really understand why anyone would do differently tbh confused

amistillsexy Fri 11-Jul-14 07:49:45

It's not the loom band that caused the damage, it's the boy who fired it. The headline should be 'boy blinds seven year old boy.'

KatieKaye Fri 11-Jul-14 07:50:25

So sad a harmless creative you was misused by one child to deliberately hurt another and the parents reaction is to absolve responsibility by saying thee should be warnings.

On that logic there should be warnings against crass stupidity too. Some people just love to stir it.

Kids play with elastic bands. End of

LIZS Fri 11-Jul-14 08:26:10

I'm not sure it was deliberate or malicious , just messing about that went wrong. dd's piece of price inflated moulded plastic- loom quite clearly suggests a minimum age of 8 and that parental discretion is required in deciding age suitability for younger children.

Everard Fri 11-Jul-14 08:39:13

Gosh, read the link folks! Whilst I do not disagree with any of you that it would be ridiculous to put warnings on the packet as the risks are fairly obvious, can you please stop talking about boys messing around with the bands, or saying you don't know if the accident was malicious or not. The article clearing states that the pinging happened accidentally when the older boy was stretching the band to fit it over a toe.

Ever it says accidental, but not everything you read in the papers etc. As the parent going to the paper she would say it was accidental, and that she was sitting right with the kids etc. She may have been of course, and it may have been accidental - not beyond the bounds of possibility it was a deliberate flick (not a deliberate blinding, just normal mischief) despite what it says in the paper.

todayisnottheday Fri 11-Jul-14 12:23:11

Sorry Everard but seeing as they are trying to shift the blame for an elastic band pinging when stretched on the lack of warning that elastic bands ping when stretched, I'm not too inclined to assume the stretching was 100% not intended to culminate in a ping grin

KatieKaye Fri 11-Jul-14 13:40:23

But that WAS a kid messing about with a band!

And it could easily have been an ordinary elastic band not a loom band. So not a news story. Just ordinary mucking around.

starlight1234 Fri 11-Jul-14 13:50:09

I am not sure how putting a warning on the packet would of changed this. what warnnign does she want DO NOT PING...

As I said to my DS the other day who didn't want to go on his scooter because he fell off it. You fall over your feet all the time but we don't leave them at home.

Probably very frightening for mum but not what I would concern myself about

kelda Fri 11-Jul-14 13:51:59

'anything in the hands of a year nine boy is a weapon.'

'anything' being the operative word. So let's ban anything and everything.

NickNackNooToYou Fri 11-Jul-14 14:03:51

I read this yesterday, accidents happen. It could've been anything it just happened to be a loom band which is the current craze.

Total non story, one incident (that has been sold to the papers) and millions of kids using them. If it was a daily occurance I may take more notice.

MasqueradeWaltzer Fri 11-Jul-14 14:04:26

They're elastic bands. Playing with them is as risky as playing with elastic bands. Non-story.

Showy Fri 11-Jul-14 14:07:23

400 men go to A&E each year following accidents caused by the putting on and taking off of trousers. We should ban trousers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now