NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Share pictures of your family food memories to win £300 gift certificates for Waitrose Cookery School (enough for two places on a cookery course of your choice).

(53 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 14-Mar-14 17:17:18

Ever since it arrived at MNHQ we've been poring over the wonderful pictures and recipes in Louise Johncox's The Baker's Daughter. To celebrate publication, we've got fab competition with Pan Macmillian to win £300 of gift certificates for Waitrose Cookery School, enough for two places on a cookery course of your choice.

Simply post a picture below that represents a treasured family food memory - it could be a photo of a battered recipe, the food item itself, or the person it reminds you of, and a couple of sentences telling us about it.

The comp is open until Monday 14 April and we'll announce the winner shortly after on this thread. The publishers will pick their favourite as the winner.

Find out more about The Baker's Daughter and try out some delicious recipes from the book.

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 14-Mar-14 17:18:06

To get the ball rolling I'm submitting a picture from Mary Berry's Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook. This was the only cookery book in our house when I was growing up and I know the pictures to every recipe. There's lots of v 70s looking dishes made with aspic jelly and tins of condensed soup (Mary what were you thinking?) but the chocolate clock cake was a favourite in our house. The only cake I ever remember me or my brother having.

idleweiss Sat 15-Mar-14 17:45:10

My late Granda was a baker with the famous Ormo bakery in Belfast. I remember as a child, every time we visited from England he would spend hours in the kitchen making mounds of delicious potato bread, soda bread, drop scones, tarts and cakes. He would be covered in flour, the house would smell amazing and he would keep giving us his oven warm treats when Mum wasn't looking! I used to love sitting at the kitchen table and watch him bake, and help him when I was allowed. We would return home from our visit with bags and bags of his baking to keep in the freezer..or if it made it that far! smile

idleweiss Sat 15-Mar-14 17:46:41

Picture wouldn't attach sad

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 17-Mar-14 09:36:51

idleweiss

Picture wouldn't attach sad

oh no. Can you let me know what's happening when you try and attach and we'll see if we can help?

This is THE book which along with sending my baby off to preschool has encouraged me to pursue my cupcake baking further enough to start my own venture from home! Starting a new chapter in my life doing something i LOVE which is just for me <3

hellymart Mon 17-Mar-14 15:40:34

My love of quiches - and making them- comes from my mum, who taught me how to make them (including the shortcrust pastry) when I was about 11. My favourite is the traditional bacon, onion and mushroom type but I also like asparagus (pictured!) and tuna and red pepper. That's the great thing about a quiche - you can put anything into them! Whenever I've got time, I make a quiche and I find it very therapeutic..taking me back to my youth, learning from my mum.

ShatnersBassoon Mon 17-Mar-14 15:54:32

These are from my fairly recently published Be-Ro baking book. My mum has had hers since the 60s and most of the recipes are the same and the photos haven't changed much either grin

Between us we must have tried every recipe in it.

hunhun007 Mon 17-Mar-14 17:37:15

My family food memories are always connected with my Mum Special Apple Pie!
Every holiday, birthdays, family gatherings or any other special occasion my Mum would bake this pie, so we can share it with others.
And now I bake it for my family, but it always reminds me of my childhood and "good old days"
I am attaching a picture of Apple Pie itself as well as work in progress - both Mum and me working on our special bake :-)

Mamma0 Mon 17-Mar-14 17:49:39

Happy days smile These Italian tortelli are made in the run up to Christmas when unexpected visitors drop by and these are offered with a cup of tea or something stronger like Prosecco! The filling is made up of predominantly chestnuts and Marsala with Italian candied peel. Its time consuming, includes a trip to Camisa in Soho for the authentic peel but every year the females in our famiglia come together to reminise and now to remember our nonna who sadly is no longer with us but who's receipe we use. Starting from very young age where you were allowed to observe until well into our 30's where you were finally deemed old enough by her to take part. It is a window into the past.

mamamama44 Mon 17-Mar-14 21:44:25

My uncle turned 70 so I wanted to do something special. He's a fisherman so we've had many sunday lunches devouring his lovely freshly caught salmon, and for as long as I can remember (from aged 6 to now) we've shared lots and lots of bars of toblerone (particularly after Christmas lunch) when at his house. I didn't find a fish mould that looked nice and was big enough, so I made a cake up! Chocolate sachertorte base, loads of whipped double cream and raspberries, covered with a second layer of chocolate brownie and with a melted chocolate top and scales made out of toblerone. It took me 6 hours to make, and 20 of us about 20 minutes to eat...

sharond101 Mon 17-Mar-14 21:48:55

My Son's first birthday cake which DH and I created together. Was the cookery event of my life as we were so happy to be making it having struggled to have a family and now our Son was having his first birthday and how proud we were of our creation.

SallyLondon21 Mon 17-Mar-14 22:20:30

A VERY over ambitious 101 Dalmations birthday cake that I was up till 3am decorating. Dont know what I was thinking!!! But still my greatest culinary achievement. It was for DD's 3rd birthday and the last pic is the latest cake for her 20th. Much more my style. I inherited the heart baking tins from my mother in law and our new (last 10 years) tradition is to make all our cakes in a heart shape and decorate them differently.
Funnily enough my Mum owned the shop next door but one to the 'Bakers Daughter's' Tea Shop (news article today) so I have my own memories of Peter's Tea shop - mostly iced buns and welsh rarebit. And can absolutely smell the baking as I think about it now. Fond memories!

nushcar Mon 17-Mar-14 23:52:21

For my daughter's 2nd birthday, my mum made an alternative birthday 'cake' - a sandwich house with smoked salmon roof slates, asparagus and broccoli bushes, carrot chimney stack and trees and raisin gravel. She made a fair dent eating it!

deborahjean Tue 18-Mar-14 09:57:11

I make 2 cakes a year - for my children's birthdays. I love carving the shapes (they always end up huge). When a friend invited us round to celebrate the Queen's Jubilee, I couldn't resist the challenge of making a statement cake for my very clever, talented designer friends! My cakes are not perfect, but I have a lot of fun making them and I was so thrilled when my friends laughed! As I was making this cake, I realised how alike she and Prince Charles are; I will have no problem when there is a celebration for him.

Kudzugirl Tue 18-Mar-14 16:41:42

Rebecca Rathers Tuxedo Cake has been made for nearly every child's birthday in our home since her book was published nearly ten years ago. They will brook no alternative.

I fully expect it to go second generation. Three tiers of soaked chocolate sponge, creme chantilly and a chocolate ganache poured over. Rebecca Rather has become famous for this cake even making it and freighting it packed in dry ice across the United States for the birthdays of her fans.

Kudzugirl Tue 18-Mar-14 16:49:39

Lastly my daughter tweeted this photo when Nigella was getting a real pasting in the Press to show solidarity from one devoted cook to another.

Nigella has been the soundtrack to both of our culinary lives. She held my hand when I weaned my second child, catered birthday parties and encouraged me to stop setting myself up to fail through selecting the over ambitious.

Nigella talks to the modern woman- she knows we are busy but doesn't judge us about how we are busy. Nigella wants us to succeed. From her brilliant method of making Marmite sandwiches in catering amounts- beat together the marmite and butter in a bowl until you get a buff coloured soft paste then spread onto the bread - to her love of kitsch cookbooks (one I share), she has a solution for all things gustatory. And she is bookish and clever. Clever is cool.

Roseformeplease Tue 18-Mar-14 17:26:48

This is what happens when you are 3 and, as your birthday present, want to decorate your own cake! Underneath, the cake is chocolate and from a Clare MacDonald of Skye cookbook that we got as a wedding present (mostly uses chocolate powder rather than flour - amazing) but in top is an unholy mess of every kind of icing and sweetie known to man - or was, as this photo is taken after the birthday girl had picked off all her decorations and the resulting damage had to be concealed with a chocolate flake I had kept back.

AtYourCervix Tue 18-Mar-14 17:35:08

My mother bought me this when I moved into my first home.

As you can see it has been wrll used. It falls open on certain pages like Basic Pastry, All in one Sponge, Pot Roasting and Carrot and tarragon soup.

Best moving in present ever.

Wiifitmama Wed 19-Mar-14 11:42:27

When I was very young, my dad's company transferred us to Tehran. We lived there for 3 years and my mother had to get used to cooking with very different ingredients. Luckily there was a large community of Brits and Americams there who had put together a cookbook to help. They suggested substitutions for ingredients you wouldn't readily find and included a gag recipe for elephant stew.

The cookbook dates back to 1976 and my mum still has it in her kitchen and makes the brownie recipe for her grandchildren (my kids) which still has the annotations from when she made it for me and my sister all those years ago.

dragonfly63 Thu 20-Mar-14 04:34:06

My son is a Marine Commando he has no catering training. When he got married his wife wanted a ski-themed wedding. I made them a ski slope wedding cake but he created a ski-lodge for her out of gingerbread designing it himself. It even had tea lights inside to make the boiled sweet 'glass' windows light up - what happy memories it brings back - especially when they smashed it with his ceremonial sword!

A plate of baklava, in an amazing beach side restaurant in Kefalonia. Just dd1 and I went (she was 18) and it was lovely to spend such an extended period of time with just the two of us. I yearn to do something similar with dd2, but she doesn't like hot weather. What's the food like in the Antarctic?!

Discovering my eldest child shares my love of cooking and nice food smile

Giraffeski Mon 24-Mar-14 17:04:40

My DD2's first roast dinner, aged six months.
I couldn't believe how easy it was to do Baby Led weaning instead of the faffy purée stuff I did with DD1, now 11
The sheer joy on her face as she joined in with the family was amazing.

ikeaismylocal Mon 24-Mar-14 18:57:50

My 6 month old ds enjoying his first taste of watermellon. His little face was a mixture between concentration and amazement.

He is, nearly a year on, still obsessed by fruit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now