Win a Hugless Douglas bear in our World Book Day costume competition.

(115 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 24-Feb-14 11:27:18

It's World Book Day on March 6. What inspired (or desperate) costume feats have you pulled off in the past? Post your pictures (old or new) here and on Friday 14 March we'll put all the entries into a pot and pluck four out. The winner will receive a wonderful Hugless Douglas bear and three runners up will each receive a bundle of books from World Book Day authors.

If you are stuck for ideas visit our World Book Day page for some great suggestions from mumsnetters and Book Aid International.

PrincessPotsie Fri 07-Mar-14 04:30:25

Dogs Don't do Ballet and Captain Buckleboots on the Naughty Step. DS had to copy DD's pose!

Slh016 Fri 07-Mar-14 09:50:26

This is my baby Rhea, shes two and decided to go to book day at nursery as the big bad wolf! She says she going to huff and puff and blow everyones house down lol

oxfordma Fri 07-Mar-14 10:50:36

My DS as NoBot; The Robot with no bottom by Sue Hendry.
Costume made using 10p mouse mats stitched onto jeans and a sweatshirt. He has moving switches and a graphic equalizer on his back which is sound activated!
My DD as the Witch from Room on the Broom by Julia Donaldson. All made with paper mâché over a real broom handle, the animals were made with paper mâché over plastic detergent/milk bottles.
We LOVE world book day! The kids on our street look amazing!

PrincessPotsie Fri 07-Mar-14 11:13:53

That broomstick is amazing oxfordma!

Tmop Fri 07-Mar-14 11:25:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

oxfordma Fri 07-Mar-14 11:47:09

Thank you so much PrincessPotsie! It took a long time! I work full time so we started in January!!!

aristocat Fri 07-Mar-14 12:22:59

My best book day costumes were Harry Potter and Hermione. I made the capes and the wands myself smile

izzyswhiskers Fri 07-Mar-14 12:56:28

My son's playgroup had the theme of nursery characters, so Ace went as Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in our homemade creation, he loved it!

BookDayName Fri 07-Mar-14 13:33:11

Here is my 5 year old DD as Abigail the Breeze Fairy (her name is Abigail)
She was v excited about it smile

Lurleene Fri 07-Mar-14 14:07:29

Here is DS dressed up again, this is today's effort. ( His school had dress-up today instead of yesterday).

Presenting The Doctor, 5th version! (Waves at ellaballoo, maybe some other versions will join the thread and complete the line-up?)

What a lovely thread this is. I have really enjoyed looking at all the proud children and their fantastic creations. smile

Julestar Sat 08-Mar-14 07:24:24

My little Snow White, aged 3, attempting to 'read' (more like recite!) her favourite book!

Helspopje Sat 08-Mar-14 07:30:42

Biff from 'Dogs don't do ballet'

Tanfastic Sat 08-Mar-14 09:59:46

The Cat in The Hat!
I cheated a bit as I bought the hat from Ebay but just black jeans and black t-shirt, white gloves from the pound shop, black eyeliner for his make up, I found a brilliant tail in the market which I pinned on to the back of his jeans and a local material shop had scraps of fur which I sewed on to the front of his t-shirt.
He looked ace grin

chrissieone Mon 10-Mar-14 16:57:22

My little boy as Oliver! Hadn't a clue what he could go as and then remembered my mother gave me a pair of small braces (random!) the week before and I went from there!

AliceMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 14-Mar-14 15:39:44

This competition is now closed. Thanks to everyone for posting their fantastic costume pics - it was a very tough decision. We are delighted to announce that Mumsnet editorial team have chosen claireabelleh as the winner of the Hugless Douglas bear for her DD's butterfly costume from The Very Hungry Caterpillar.

Congratulations also to YellowWALLS for Peter Pan's shadow, Worldbookdayboyz for Bruce Bogtrotter and KellyMarieBoomBoom for Where the Wild Things Are, who all win a bundle of books from World Book Day authors.

We will be in touch on how to claim your prizes. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now