Win a Hugless Douglas bear in our World Book Day costume competition.

(115 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 24-Feb-14 11:27:18

It's World Book Day on March 6. What inspired (or desperate) costume feats have you pulled off in the past? Post your pictures (old or new) here and on Friday 14 March we'll put all the entries into a pot and pluck four out. The winner will receive a wonderful Hugless Douglas bear and three runners up will each receive a bundle of books from World Book Day authors.

If you are stuck for ideas visit our World Book Day page for some great suggestions from mumsnetters and Book Aid International.

Chatty1986 Thu 27-Feb-14 22:28:23

Dorothy from the wizard of oz....made from two school summer dresses smile

Lurleene Fri 28-Feb-14 09:13:18

My DS isn't a big fan of dressing up as he get's embarrassed, but he wanted to join in last year. Here he is as Special Agent Jack Stalwart. Best of all, we didn't have to buy anything.

Snapespeare Fri 28-Feb-14 14:42:47

This is from waaaaay back in the past, I'm not entering the competition, just wanted to boast!

DS1 as (Johnny depps) willy wonks and DS2 as the wicked witch of the west. I got up at 6am to paint DS2 green and he still had green paint in his ears several bath times later.

DS1 hasn't really grown out of the habit..,

saule135 Fri 28-Feb-14 20:19:41

World book day costume ideas!
My daughter Monika as Ladybird.

KellyMarieBoomBoom Fri 28-Feb-14 21:11:22

Where the Wild Things Are, wild thing costume (for birthday party)

The trousers took my blimmin ages to sew!

Sparklymommy Mon 03-Mar-14 12:43:04

The Mad Hatter and the Queen of Hearts. We even made the jam tarts!

The giant cards were drawn onto a big sheet of card and cut out. The skirt was an old circular character skirt with hearts tacked on out of felt, and some bric a brac. Same with the top, a red felt heart tacked on, dd helped to make the crown out of a cereal box and crepe paper.

The mad hatter was just bits we threw together. His sisters leggings, parts of other costumes and a clown wig under a hat!

Little Red Riding Hood (note the bottle of wine in the basket which mysteriously disappeared shortly after. Hic.)

namechangechicken Wed 05-Mar-14 10:11:32

This is my lot in various guises. All home made don't ya know [smug] wink

We have Sadie, Willum & Anika as The cat in the Hat and Two Things. 2013

Sam as Sam I am with Things (first showing 2011) and Sam and Willum as Cat in the Hat and Mr Willy Wonka, complete with pretend chocolate bars and cane (2010)

Bit of a theme but Dr Seuss is SUCH a Classic grin

aaaaagh Thu 06-Mar-14 07:24:28

Stig of the Dump by Clive King. A lovely book and a nice easy costume! Fun fur and black hairspray - the monobrow is all his!

MinesAPintOfTea Thu 06-Mar-14 07:36:16

DS's nursery told us to take them in costumes on Tuesday. I was most annoyed, I'd been fabric shopping on Sunday but hadn't got anything for this. I ran up this Very Hungry Caterpillar costume from my old clothes and a few spare scraps of fabric in under an hour.

DS doesn't like the hat though, I suspect it will only be worn for the photo when I held it down

Lovecat Thu 06-Mar-14 09:49:10

DD as Bellatrix Lestrange. Various bits from previous Hallowe'en outfits, a hacked up Primark top, some ribbon & silver paint (and we found the perfect branch on a tree in the garden for Bellatrix's oddly-shaped wand!)

chinichats Thu 06-Mar-14 09:57:36

My son looking like a right Wally! smile

AmyEaling Thu 06-Mar-14 10:20:36

Here is my son as Martin the Warrior mouse from Brian Jaques' Redwall books.

Bubbles2002 Thu 06-Mar-14 10:43:22

Willy Wonka

BeCool Thu 06-Mar-14 10:48:05

I knocked together a fantastic Alice costume from stuff we had at home grin

There were about 30 girls is Alice costumes hmm

Dd's was the best (really!) grin

Emmaereira81 Thu 06-Mar-14 10:54:15

Macie aged 4 loves Little Red Riding Hood!

Mamafratelli Thu 06-Mar-14 11:18:03

This is Eve as Pippi Longstocking. She loves Pippi because she is funny and fearless. We used pipe cleaners to make Eve's hair stick up. I think it might catch on!

LittleBoxes Thu 06-Mar-14 12:02:55

Goth Girl this year. Her new favourite book. And once again I have failed to take a decent photograph smile

Squiffie Thu 06-Mar-14 12:04:55

This is Alexander as The Cat in the Hat and Elizabeth as a mouse because I only have red, white and black face paint as she didn't want to be left out!!

zoewowie Thu 06-Mar-14 12:05:25

Here's my very own little Dorothy! the shoes were amazing £2 job with a tub of red glitter paint I am so impressed with myself! hope shes having a fab day at school.

Maxwell1212 Thu 06-Mar-14 12:30:30

My little boy Maxwell as Funny Bones smile

clareandtribe Thu 06-Mar-14 12:37:16

the hungry caterpillar turns into a beautiful butterfly smile

newtlyn6 Thu 06-Mar-14 12:40:08

my little nephew Jake and niece Sophie called in on me this morning on their way to school to show me their outfits for world book day smile they really made me smile smile

csmony Thu 06-Mar-14 13:02:57

Here's my DDs costume for this years WBD( today)Disney princess Rupenzal( oh Disney your magic is all around)

anchovies Thu 06-Mar-14 13:03:08

The ace of spades and a very lazy ladybird. Both homemade <proud of the rare show of creativity>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now