NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Win a Hugless Douglas bear in our World Book Day costume competition.

(115 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 24-Feb-14 11:27:18

It's World Book Day on March 6. What inspired (or desperate) costume feats have you pulled off in the past? Post your pictures (old or new) here and on Friday 14 March we'll put all the entries into a pot and pluck four out. The winner will receive a wonderful Hugless Douglas bear and three runners up will each receive a bundle of books from World Book Day authors.

If you are stuck for ideas visit our World Book Day page for some great suggestions from mumsnetters and Book Aid International.

CompleteUninspiredNameChange Mon 24-Feb-14 17:27:39

Name changed for anonymity!
Couple of different world book days here.
One year DS1 was one of the Weasley twins from Harry Potter, DS2 was a cat - can't remember which book now, and DS3 was the Highway Rat
Another year DS1 was Reepicheep the mouse from Narnia, DS2 was a butterfly out of the Gruffalo, DS3 was the mouse out of the Gruffalo, as I was going into school that day I made a gruffalo hat for me too...

CompleteUninspiredNameChange Mon 24-Feb-14 17:28:33

The gruffalo hat...

ummlilia Tue 25-Feb-14 14:32:18

my daughter dressed as a geisha (as in Memoirs of...) Had old long jilbab (middle eatern style dress) which I cut down to fit..tacked by hand just to last a day. Was either going to be that or a witch...

schilke Tue 25-Feb-14 16:03:49

Ds1 as Dick Whittington and ds2 as The Gruffalo....taken 9 years ago shock How did that happen!

pegasus1975 Tue 25-Feb-14 16:07:45

my son darren as aragorn or as he called himself daragorn he was and still is a huge lord of the rings fan smile

Sukebind Tue 25-Feb-14 18:11:28

Our school doesn't have dressing up for WBD but has it for Book Week the following week. Last year the theme was characters from, or aspects of, a poem. My DDs went as The Christmas Tree Fairy from the Cicely M Barker poem and the Queen of Hearts.
The fairy dress was a charity shop bridesmaid dress which cost a couple of pounds. Then I added wings, card headband and a wand.
The Queen of Hearts dress was an old Mothercare dress (in the sale) with felt and button hearts sewn on. As it was actually snowing here that week I got an old Sainsbury's cardigan and sewed felt hearts onto that, too. She had a wooden spoon with heart on, a wooden play tray with cardboard heart tarts she made herself blu-tacked on and a crown.

MrsPnut Tue 25-Feb-14 18:51:06

This was last years costume, Fantastic Mr Fox and she may wear the same again this year if the costume still fits.

somebodyoutthere Tue 25-Feb-14 21:47:07

My daughter as Matilda and my son (James) and his giant peach (space hopper covered in coloured paper).

OhSoVintage Tue 25-Feb-14 22:10:18

I will put a couple from over the years.

We have A Mary Poppins! Dorothy with a fairy and Last years The worst witch complete with flying broom!

No doubt I will add this years zoo as Im busy sewing on demand!

Lizzzombie Wed 26-Feb-14 15:29:57

Reception year my DS was "Happy" from Snow white & the 7 dwarves. Though he asked to be a "door" from Snow white so it took me a while to work out what he was talking about! Primark sale rail items were customised and it cost about £3. The maribu trim beard didn't stay on very long though!
This year he was a fox cub from Fantastic Mr Fox. The fox costume in total cost me about £2, I was mega pleased with my make do and mend skills! (I have before & after pics!)

Blatherskite Wed 26-Feb-14 15:39:48

This is DS as Scaredy Squirrel - complete with Friend Making Kit smile

argoswan Wed 26-Feb-14 16:19:19

DS as Mr Twit. We had fun glue gunning the cornflakes onto the beard.

phoebeerin05 Wed 26-Feb-14 16:43:27

This is my daughter Phoebe from 4 years ago dressed as Maisy mouse. Looking forward to her being Winnie the witch this year and her sister going as Angelina ballerina.

Puppypoppet Wed 26-Feb-14 17:31:28

DD as Katniss Everdene from The Hunger Games. From this year - we had world book day dress up a couple of weeks ago.

Hulababy Wed 26-Feb-14 17:49:20

Queen of Hearts (I also quickly made the other two outfits shown, manly masks and props)

Hermione

Fairy from Midsummer Night's Dream

clopper Wed 26-Feb-14 18:08:34

Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'hoole (Guardians of Ga'Hoole)

gerrybo44 Wed 26-Feb-14 19:28:58

Myself as The Gruffalo, and son, Gabriel as The Gruffalos Child, I also work at the school he attends, so had a fun day, made the costumes by hand in two days, was also my birthday and I made a Gruffalo cake for the staffroom smile

TwoTeaTessie Wed 26-Feb-14 21:43:17

We've done Grabber Jack from Cops and robbers. Just a white t shirt with painted stripes, a flat cap, a scarf and a mask which was just an old t shirt cut up.

We've done Mr Gum, from You're a bad man Mr Gum. Just went in looking scruffy and a wool beard which was wool stuck onto cardboard

And last year he went a Willy Wonka, which was one of my cardigans with card lapels stuck on, a cheap top hat from ebay and a cane from a charity shop, oh and a bow tie borrowed from my FIL

NineteenOatcake Wed 26-Feb-14 23:23:01

Last year we did Pippi Longstocking (in an old Cher wig of mine-it's seen some action) and cut up tights. Year before, DD was Hermione Granger in a school uniform, and bathrobe with a cardboard Gryffindor badge, wand and LOTS of backcombing!

sarrita Thu 27-Feb-14 13:17:29

My son went as Fantastic Mr Fox.

ChloeOmissi Thu 27-Feb-14 14:21:57

All so cute! Good work mums!Can't wait to make some costumes for my little one (six months is a bit young right?) :-)

Ronstertodd Thu 27-Feb-14 18:39:55

Love making a costume for world book day - this has been our favourite so far - the mouse from the Gruffalo!

MrsLoada Thu 27-Feb-14 18:40:22

Son as Riddler from batman

csmony Thu 27-Feb-14 20:52:14

World book day costume ideas! Fear not traditional outfits come for rescue!! My most gorgeous DD in our traditional ghaghra Choli depicting our culture

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now