OK Tina Malone has her baby at 50....too old?

(29 Posts)
LisaMcGarry Wed 18-Dec-13 15:03:53

I am in two minds about this. I know it depends on the mum but still, when the baby's a teenager she'll be getting her bus pass and she doesn't have the best history in terms of personal health....

www.unrealitytv.co.uk/reality-tv/tina-malone-baby-50-celebrities-older-mothers/

In saying that, my pal had her first baby at 46 and is the best mum I know...

It's never black and white is it?

LifeofPo Wed 18-Dec-13 15:07:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

somersethouse Wed 18-Dec-13 15:12:02

I am 43 with a 5 year old DD... so I had her at 37, which I felt was fairly old!
I can cope and it is fine, I had her at exactly the right time for me and any younger would not have been as good, but sometimes I feel I don't have the energy I would have had bit earlier!

However, 50? No, for me that is too old, I couldn't imagine it. You need so much energy, but, as you say, each to their own.

vitaminC Wed 18-Dec-13 15:12:54

It could happen naturally at that age. It's rare but I've known of one case IRL. I'm not a fan of IVF in post-menopausal women but 50 is borderline IMO.

somersethouse Wed 18-Dec-13 15:13:50

I actually don't know who she is? Halle Berry, I don't get the impression is too old at all.

I think it just depends on each individual. Me at 50 with a newborn... nope!

TheZeeTeam Wed 18-Dec-13 15:15:12

Who's Tina Malone?

I wouldn't fancy it either, am 42 with a nearly 2yo and am knackered! However, that's me. I gather the baby was very much wanted and will doubtless be much loved and cared for so good luck to them. There are babies born in worse situations.

defineme Wed 18-Dec-13 15:17:21

Well the baby's Dad is only 31, so he will care for his child if and when she can't.
My dh is 50 and he'd be a great Dad again, as he is to our 8 yrolds and 11 yrold.
She doesn't seem like a women who cares what other people think and I wish her well.
I think there's lots of different types of parents, mostly doing the best they can. Elton John is far older than Tina and he seems to be adapting to fatherhood well.

curlew Wed 18-Dec-13 15:17:23

Just so long as all you "too old-ers" feel the same about a 50 year old father.......

Far worse situations I meant. Their situation isn't bad IYSWIM <digs hole>

Ledkr Wed 18-Dec-13 15:18:30

I had dd at 44, I did find it much Hesse than with the others I had in my twenties and thirties but she is as happy and well cared for as any other child her age.
Like Tina M my dh is younger than me so he has a bit more energy which I have to admit does help.

Ledkr Wed 18-Dec-13 15:19:11

Not that young tho!

Nope, not too old.

Right at the limit for natural conception though.

JollySantersSelectionBox Wed 18-Dec-13 15:19:55

I know a few women at 50 who are a lot healthier and active than I was at 35 when I had DS.

Her husband is 31 isn't he?

I'm not pointing the finger on this thread but when Hugh Heffner types have kids in their 70's by 25 year old women it's more of a pat on the back moment.

Creamycoolerwithcream Wed 18-Dec-13 15:20:10

I don't get this thing women do to to other women regarding motherhood. Too old, too old, too many. You never hear men bitch in this way.

Sparklingbrook Wed 18-Dec-13 15:28:36

She certainly doesn't seem 50, and she was so excited to be having this baby. She lost so much weight and believe she was due to have twins but lost one.

Good luck to her, and her DH.

deepfriedsage Wed 18-Dec-13 15:29:30

In her situation she has a dh in his early thirties and a dd she had as a teen so plenty of people around to help. No matter what age you become a Mum your an old fogey when they are teens. She goes on about how fit her Mum is, she never mentions her Dad, she forgets she shares his genes. She cane across as an arse in Bigbrother, I feel sorry for the baby to be honnest.

GreenShadowsOfTheChristmasTree Wed 18-Dec-13 15:39:35

Hmm, mixed thoughts.

I'm just over 50 myself and at the moment would feel quite confident about being able to cope with a new baby. I need far less sleep now than I ever did in my 30s and have plenty of energy so don't think tiredness need necessarily be a major consideration.

But, I quite see that that may not last and can't see myself wanting to be dealing with teenagers at 65 and beyond.

LisaMcGarry Thu 19-Dec-13 07:31:01

Flip I can barely deal with teenagers now and I'm 37!

MoominsYonisAreScary Thu 19-Dec-13 07:34:18

I wouldnt want to be dealing with teens in my 60s.

usualsuspect Thu 19-Dec-13 07:36:26

Good luck to her.

Not too old for a baby at 50, but too old for a 16 year old at 66.

TheNightIsDark Thu 19-Dec-13 07:58:50

Age isn't the issue.

Flame? Flame isn't a name confused

I agree with creamy. Why do women judge each other so harshly?

I agree with curlew and creamy. I always find it odd that people quite happy to have a go at women for being older but very rarely men for having babies later in life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now