People are so judgmental towards my dog!

(75 Posts)

My boy is the most kindest sweetest animal I have ever owned. People judge him straight away and move away from him when they see him.

He has to wear a muzzle and be on a lead which does not give him a good impression but its because he is classed as "pitt bull type". He was taken from me at 6 months purely because his breed and then given back to me spaded, tattooed and 1million rules to be aloud to keep him.

What would your opinion be if you saw us in the park?

BitOfFunWithSanta Sun 08-Dec-13 00:35:31

As long as you didn't look like a skinheaded teen in a shellsuit, I'd probably be fine.

SPsWantsCliffInHerStocking Sun 08-Dec-13 00:36:53

Awww. I had a similar dog growing up. I loved her to bits. She was lovely. She was a lighter colour

DoYouLikeMyBaubles Sun 08-Dec-13 00:37:29

I'd see you as any other dog owner, as long as you picked your poo up grin cute dog
the thing with 'dangerous breeds' it is changes all the time. Dogs go in and out of fashion like anything else. At the minute pit bulls and staffs are 'in fashion' with idiots who treat them like shit and it leads to them being involved in attacks, thus giving them a bad name. It's happened with different breeds over the years. Including my beloved boxers.

This is an interesting read www.dogbreedprejudice.info/

(included a pic of mine, and he was classed as a dangerous breed at one point)

Floralnomad Sun 08-Dec-13 00:38:01

I think he looks really cute ! If i met you in the street I'd probably ask for a cuddle .

SecretWitch Sun 08-Dec-13 00:38:32

He looks beautiful! I would be careful as I have a little daughter who is very afraid of large dogs. I would try to make no judgements unless he began growling or lunging at us. ( not really a dog person, so do not know anything about his breed) He is a handsome boy, isn't he?

Kormachameleon Sun 08-Dec-13 00:39:09

Spaded ?

No skinhead bitoffun lol!

doyoulike I understand what your saying about the fashion with certain dogs. Its very true, sad but true. I found my little man in a cardboard box on the common by a travelling fair he had been dumped he was only a few weeks old I had to bottle feed him.

Cute dog by the way!

HavantGuard Sun 08-Dec-13 00:42:21

It was the only way they were aloud to keep him.

Korm chopped, only just realised that is the female term! Silly cow

DoYouLikeMyBaubles Sun 08-Dec-13 00:43:59

Aw supermans that's awful sad So glad you've given him a good home

We had a pit, he was the softest, loveliest dog ever. He got so excited when you stroked him that he'd pee! My dad took him off some men who were planning to use him for fighting.

Without knowing your dogs breeding not sure how I would react

I own a staffie and he is the kindest most affectionate dog you could ever meet

DoYouLikeMyBaubles Sun 08-Dec-13 00:50:39

Without knowing your dogs breeding not sure how I would react

This frustrates me so much. Breed has very little to do with a dogs behaviour.

They are all canines. That is what is important. They all have the potential to do damage. It is how they are brought up that reduces the risk of an attack.

NigellaLaw5on Tue 10-Dec-13 22:34:50

It's a devil dog, I would cross the street to avoid it tbh.

Amandine29 Tue 10-Dec-13 22:43:38

What I would do would depend on two things. First if I had my dog with me I would avoid your dog regardless. Second if you looked in any way dodgy I would also avoid. But if you had control over your dog and seemed a decent person I would not be bothered. Agree that temperament in dogs is mostly down to training not breeding but unfortunately there is a certain type of person who is attracted to these dogs. I think in a few years husky type breeds will go the same way.

Amandine29 Tue 10-Dec-13 22:45:16

Also I would be a bit jealous of you because I doubt many people will approach your dog to stroke it or play with it. I get this all the time from clueless people who think my dog is there for their entertainment. I think this is mostly because he is a 'friendly' breed.

TreTops Tue 10-Dec-13 22:58:56

I would probably cross the street and avoid you because the dog is wearing a muzzle and I would presume there was a reason for this rather than because of his breed.

The whole pitbull type thing annoys me as it's too wide I think most of the bull breeds cross with something larger come into this description e.g a staffie crossed with lab.

Fwiw my last dog was a large staffie and i now have a lab and the difference in people reaction is amazingeven though the staff was a much better behaved dog. I don't think people reaction is anything to with the banned breed it is because it is a bull bread and wearing a muzzle.

I know how you feel,*Amandine*. Toddlers come lunging after my puppies and the mothers just stand there smiling. hmm.

I would keep my two away in the park but it's not about the breed - it's really not. It's because I wouldn't be sure whether the lead and muzzle were meant to convey that message. My pair are desperate to play with every dog they see and the rule of thumb I've picked up from the Doghouse seems to be that they shouldn't be allowed to approach dogs on leads.

I didn't know that was compulsory for some breeds. All the Staffies I've met have been lovely!

MostWicked Tue 10-Dec-13 23:15:49

Why do you care if someone else doesn't like your dog?
I don't like any dogs, I'm not a dog person, I would take a wide berth.

ThursdayLast Sun 15-Dec-13 19:07:31

Because MostWicked, we get attached and defensive at an imagined slight, just like we would with any other member of our families.
Here is how to truly un-demonise a bull terrier type fsmile

Love your username by the way.

(Sorry, I mean ThursdayLast)

lougle Sun 15-Dec-13 19:23:41

I had a man who came to do our gas check last week. He knew I had a dog because I said to him 'I'll shut the dog in the lounge.' Then, once it was finished, he walked into the lounge. Patch went to him and sniffed his trousers, and I could see his body language was 'off'. So I said 'you're not keen on dogs are you?' as I took Patch's collar. He said 'some dogs are ok, but those ones...you never know, do you? I saw a fella last week who had one of those and he jumped at me and the guy said 'he's harmless' and I said 'well fair enough but I've got a hammer in my hand and if he goes for me I'll have him.'

I did think 'hmm you walked into my lounge, knowing my dog was in there, and my dog is sniffing your leg.'

IHeardMummyDissingParcelforce Sun 15-Dec-13 19:25:36

'I doubt many people will approach your dog to stroke it or play with it. I get this all the time from clueless people who think my dog is there for their entertainment.'

Look this is silly. People who don't know much about dogs are expected neither to approach them, nor to avoid them.

Which is it? How do we know? We can't really win unless we just ignore them completely, which I tend to do unless they are squaring up to one of my children and growling.

ThursdayLast Sun 15-Dec-13 19:26:19

Empress, thank you smile. I've tried to think of a way to Xmas it up but it took me 8hours to come up with that in the first place.

Lougle, I'm a bit gob smacked about that. What a tool.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now