Reasons My Kid is Crying: Enter comp to win a meal for two at Heston's The Fat Duck

(109 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 25-Nov-13 17:24:54

For those who haven’t come across it, the hugely popular Tumblr, Reasons My Son is Crying went viral earlier this year. It all started when father Greg Pembroke posted pictures online of his three-year-old son, mid-tantrum, alongside the reason he was crying: He had broken his bit of cheese in half. Think AIBU for kids.

Within a week the original blog had featured on countless news, radio and television websites around the world. As people shared the blog, a community was born, and submissions started pouring in. In one month, the blog had received over 5 million hits – it is predicted to reach 14.5 million visits this year.

The book Reasons My Kid is Crying collects together the photos sent to Greg from parents across the globe, documenting the many, completely illogical reasons why small children cry. (‘I let him play on the grass’ . . . ‘We told him the pig says “oink”’ . . . ‘The neighbour’s dog isn’t outside’). But it is also a poignant reminder, for burned-out parents (and grandparents!) everywhere, that they’re not alone, and that not all toddler tantrums are tragedies - that it is, in fact, OK to laugh at the universal, baffling logic of toddlers! You can see a gallery from the book here:

Reasons My Kid is Crying.

We’re inviting you to send in your pics to show the irrational reasons why your child went into meltdown. Post up your pics (and captions) on this thread by 9th December and we’ll create a gallery of our favourite 10 pics. Each person who makes the shortlist will receive a copy of the book. The Editor at Boxtree will then choose a winning photo form the ten which will be announced on this thread on 11th December. The Winner will enjoy a Virgin Experience Days luxury meal out for two at Heston Blumenthal’s The Fat Duck restaurant.

We mentioned earlier the book reminds of us AIBU for kids - for inspiration, enjoy this mumsnet classic

minkeycat Wed 01-Jan-14 22:59:18

I agree with people who think this is mean-spirited and more than that - it's incredibly disrespectful to children.

Would we do this to anyone else? Is it ok to do this, for instance, to old people? If not, why is it ok to do it to children? Would we like it if someone posted this sort of picture of us online? Why is there a different rule for children?

Yes, ok, parenting is difficult sometimes. But its our job to try to empathise with the fact that children have very strong emotional reactions to things, and aren't in control of those reactions. They are trying to communicate their needs and our job is to listen - not to take photos and laugh.

I think MN was wrong to get involved with this. And I don't think the gallery is 'rather wonderful' - just the opposite, in fact.

enorbeaupott Mon 16-Dec-13 01:21:39

Because it's laugh or cry at the simplemindedness of these sweet little babes that we love so much but can also hate when they throw the silliest tantrums!! Because ultimately they are so cute even when upset!
My partner and I have only said "d'awww!!" At the cuteness NOT laughed at the pictures in a mean way. Anyone who thinks that doing this is wrong just doesn't get the idea of this competition in the first place: to laugh along with other parents and metaphorically pat each other on the back and say "goodness, did you really have to deal with that? What on EARTH do you say to a toddler who truly believes her imaginary dog is missing and how did you resolve it?" Because, you know, that's just funny! Of course if you were there with the child you would try to help them as much as possible but this online competition is just as bad as gathering together in a toddler group and exchanging stories and maybe showing off photos on your phone.
And the kids will not remember any of it so they won't be scarred for life.

Moltobene Sun 15-Dec-13 00:08:28

I agree with those who aren't finding this funny. It's mean. Kids don't just randomly cry about nothing or cry for stupid reasons. To the child it's a real reason- however wierd it seems to us- and is something to cry about.
As the adult in the situation I think pointing the camera at that time is not nice let alone putting the pictures up on a website for random strangers to laugh at afterwards. You wouldn't put pictures of crying adults in the family up online like that so why different to do it with children.

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 11-Dec-13 17:02:41

The Editors at Boxtree have passed on to us the list of their favourite ten pics which we have now put into a rather wonderful gallery with the pics and captions. Each of the ten photographers have won a copy of Reasons My Kid Is Crying.

Reasons My Kid is Crying competition images

And congratulations to ...[drumroll]... Treadlightly the winner of The Editor's favourite picture who has won a luxury meal for two at Heston's The Fat Duck courtesy of Virgin Experience Days. We'll be in touch by pm with all the winners about claiming your prizes.

Thanks to everyone who shared their pics and joined the discussion and once again, if you've enjoyed this thread, you may want to read this Mumsnet classic.

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 09-Dec-13 10:41:38

The competition is now closed. We'll announce the runners up and winner on Wednesday 11th December.

Hopezibah Tue 03-Dec-13 22:41:08

All I said was "time for a nappy change" - Am I really being unreasonable wanting to put her in a fresh nappy rather than leaving her in one filled with poo!

Mine cried this morning because 'the sky is too black'

RandallFloyd Mon 02-Dec-13 13:36:07

Because he wanted me to go to the toilet.
(I didn't need to go.)

VeeJay78 Sat 30-Nov-13 23:22:03

Crying because she grabbed the remote control and managed to turn off Peppa Pig herself!

nattnatt Sat 30-Nov-13 22:51:33

He couldn't take someone elses car off them at playgroup

nattnatt Sat 30-Nov-13 22:38:09

He spilt his milk down himself

perfectstorm Sat 30-Nov-13 22:19:52

Aww, Tinker no I wouldn't have laughed at that! Poor little guy - a suit is a lot more boring than a bridesmaid's dress, and at that age he's less likely to be brainwashed aware that there are such strict rules on what boys and girls can wear. 100 years ago, a boy that age would still be in dresses, and 200 years ago men wore hugely fancy clothes if they could afford them.

I find the stories below hilarious because the children genuinely have nothing to be upset about - they're just learning to cope with life not being exactly as they would like in that precise moment at all times, and at times that's so bizarre as to be funny. Preschoolers with a reasonable cause for upset (not that anyone could blame parents for not altering path in the situation, either) wouldn't have me laughing at them, no. When my DS wanted a pretty pink flowery dress at 3 we talked about how it may be daft, but society says those are for girls right now, and so people might laugh at him if he wore it. He decided against. I didn't laugh at him for it though. That would be a bit harsh IMO. sad

I don't agree that finding toddlers grappling with reality can't be funny, though I always fought to keep a straight face. I do agree that laughing at kids who are upset for legit reasons, at an age when they fully understand they're being mocked, isn't kind. None of us would like it, after all. Nobody likes having their pride lacerated, be they one or one hundred.

Arion Sat 30-Nov-13 20:33:11

He wanted to try on his new gillet, so I put it on him!

tinkertaylor1 Sat 30-Nov-13 19:50:25

Oh lord! I was scrolling down this thread, having a chuckle with my DD1 and came across all the misery guts.....have you nothing else to moan about or pick to pieces?

The pictures were taken in a moment of jest, the Dc were perfectly fine, not harmed or hurt or disturbed. It would be be a totally different matter if it were. That's why people are sharing and having a giggle as their dc were being silly.

Im sure there are other pressing matters for people to get their knickers in a twist over on other threads!!

Was we not to laugh at my Dnephew when he was heart broke he didn't have a fancy bridesmaid dress (4yr) and refused to get in his dapper suit? if I had a camera I would have took a pic to show him now he is 18! Im sure he cant even remember!

CVran what a bottom lip! Adorable!!

some cracking pictures on here --- off to go dig some out of dc!!

perfectstorm Sat 30-Nov-13 19:11:26

Well, if we're quoting Guardian stories, perhaps a pertinent one would be on the bloke who started this meme to begin with:

Greg, a radio advertising copywriter, is not so much making fun of kids as tipping his hat to them: "When you experience disappointment, you want to be able to lie down on the ground and scream, but you can't because you're an adult confined by the rules of society. People are almost envious of children being able to fully express themselves the way they'd like to."

Gintonic Sat 30-Nov-13 19:05:23

Well I'm totally unapologetic for ruining the thread. If you think it is "lighthearted" then remember this story:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2012/jun/25/placebo-album-cover-star-sue

I'm not sure the author's kids are going to be thanking him when they are teenagers.

Treadlightly Sat 30-Nov-13 18:05:12

This is dd in her playpen / Bazinga ball pit!

She loved loved loved the balls....

And then she hated the balls...

Rooners Sat 30-Nov-13 17:46:43

Fair enough.

Fwiw I agree it seems a shame to spoil a thread that was intended to be just that.

However I do feel that sometimes attitudes that seem mainstream warrant being challenged.

It wasn't a political point I was attempting to make anyway. It was just a rather visceral response I felt to seeing these pictures, and I decided to comment on it, and people were understandably a bit offended/defensive, and so it went.

I think I have explained as well as I can, I won't promise to leave the thread as I never do but if no one engages further with me then I might bugger off grin

DoItTooJulia Sat 30-Nov-13 17:08:29

Ok Rooners, I don't feel like you do about this. I don't think anyone has disagreed with your sentiment, in fact we have all given the reason our kids are crying.

But I'm bowing out now, I don't want to nit pick over something that was supposed to be lighthearted.

Rooners Sat 30-Nov-13 15:38:59

'I don't think that it's the end of the world if a parent takes a photo of a crying toddler, why should we only document happy times? '

I'm not sure that THIS is what it's actually about, tbh.

It's not about 'documenting' sadness or whatever. It's about laughing at it.

There is always a reason a child cries. It may not be the one they give you. That doesn't make it OK to laugh at them - or parade them in public for others to laugh at.

DoItTooJulia Sat 30-Nov-13 13:31:22

I think we will have to agree to disagree.

I don't think that it's the end of the world if a parent takes a photo of a crying toddler, why should we only document happy times? Also given that the phenomenon went viral, I think I'm not the only one to feel this way.

I take your point that a genuinely upset toddler (or anyone for that matter) needs a cuddle or ignoring or whatever, but I'm not sure that this is what this is actually about.

Gintonic Sat 30-Nov-13 09:05:13

Julia I have no problem with people sharing stories about ridiculous things their children have cried about. And a lot of the photos on this thread are from people who have been trying to take a photo of their child and they have just happened to start crying.

That is not what this book is.

The author has taken repeated photos of his toddlers crying and posted them on line.

There are times when a crying toddler needs a cuddle and times when they need to be spoken to firmly or even ignored, but I don't think it is ever appropriate to pull out your phone and take a picture. These are not tiny babies they are old enough to know that they are upset and daddy is taking a photo.

I am not saying that that is what all the posters on this thread have done, but it is what the author has done, and that is what I am objecting to.

Rooners Sat 30-Nov-13 08:42:06

I'm not stupid, I totally get the point of it and that's fine - but posting photos of upset children is a step too far imo.

It's not 'serious' in the same way as you've been framed showing children being upset isn't serious. The children are not in danger.

That doesn't mean it is either respectful or funny to take/ publish online/ look at photos or footage of them in tears.

Rooners Sat 30-Nov-13 08:39:43

but what's the point of photos?

Do your children honestly not cry for what seem ridiculous reasons ever? My eldest still does (nearly 4) and I can either get stressed about it or I can laugh about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now