Reasons My Kid is Crying: Enter comp to win a meal for two at Heston's The Fat Duck

(109 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 25-Nov-13 17:24:54

For those who haven’t come across it, the hugely popular Tumblr, Reasons My Son is Crying went viral earlier this year. It all started when father Greg Pembroke posted pictures online of his three-year-old son, mid-tantrum, alongside the reason he was crying: He had broken his bit of cheese in half. Think AIBU for kids.

Within a week the original blog had featured on countless news, radio and television websites around the world. As people shared the blog, a community was born, and submissions started pouring in. In one month, the blog had received over 5 million hits – it is predicted to reach 14.5 million visits this year.

The book Reasons My Kid is Crying collects together the photos sent to Greg from parents across the globe, documenting the many, completely illogical reasons why small children cry. (‘I let him play on the grass’ . . . ‘We told him the pig says “oink”’ . . . ‘The neighbour’s dog isn’t outside’). But it is also a poignant reminder, for burned-out parents (and grandparents!) everywhere, that they’re not alone, and that not all toddler tantrums are tragedies - that it is, in fact, OK to laugh at the universal, baffling logic of toddlers! You can see a gallery from the book here:

Reasons My Kid is Crying.

We’re inviting you to send in your pics to show the irrational reasons why your child went into meltdown. Post up your pics (and captions) on this thread by 9th December and we’ll create a gallery of our favourite 10 pics. Each person who makes the shortlist will receive a copy of the book. The Editor at Boxtree will then choose a winning photo form the ten which will be announced on this thread on 11th December. The Winner will enjoy a Virgin Experience Days luxury meal out for two at Heston Blumenthal’s The Fat Duck restaurant.

We mentioned earlier the book reminds of us AIBU for kids - for inspiration, enjoy this mumsnet classic

VeeJay78 Sat 30-Nov-13 23:22:03

Crying because she grabbed the remote control and managed to turn off Peppa Pig herself!

RandallFloyd Mon 02-Dec-13 13:36:07

Because he wanted me to go to the toilet.
(I didn't need to go.)

Mine cried this morning because 'the sky is too black'

Hopezibah Tue 03-Dec-13 22:41:08

All I said was "time for a nappy change" - Am I really being unreasonable wanting to put her in a fresh nappy rather than leaving her in one filled with poo!

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 09-Dec-13 10:41:38

The competition is now closed. We'll announce the runners up and winner on Wednesday 11th December.

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 11-Dec-13 17:02:41

The Editors at Boxtree have passed on to us the list of their favourite ten pics which we have now put into a rather wonderful gallery with the pics and captions. Each of the ten photographers have won a copy of Reasons My Kid Is Crying.

Reasons My Kid is Crying competition images

And congratulations to ...[drumroll]... Treadlightly the winner of The Editor's favourite picture who has won a luxury meal for two at Heston's The Fat Duck courtesy of Virgin Experience Days. We'll be in touch by pm with all the winners about claiming your prizes.

Thanks to everyone who shared their pics and joined the discussion and once again, if you've enjoyed this thread, you may want to read this Mumsnet classic.

Moltobene Sun 15-Dec-13 00:08:28

I agree with those who aren't finding this funny. It's mean. Kids don't just randomly cry about nothing or cry for stupid reasons. To the child it's a real reason- however wierd it seems to us- and is something to cry about.
As the adult in the situation I think pointing the camera at that time is not nice let alone putting the pictures up on a website for random strangers to laugh at afterwards. You wouldn't put pictures of crying adults in the family up online like that so why different to do it with children.

enorbeaupott Mon 16-Dec-13 01:21:39

Because it's laugh or cry at the simplemindedness of these sweet little babes that we love so much but can also hate when they throw the silliest tantrums!! Because ultimately they are so cute even when upset!
My partner and I have only said "d'awww!!" At the cuteness NOT laughed at the pictures in a mean way. Anyone who thinks that doing this is wrong just doesn't get the idea of this competition in the first place: to laugh along with other parents and metaphorically pat each other on the back and say "goodness, did you really have to deal with that? What on EARTH do you say to a toddler who truly believes her imaginary dog is missing and how did you resolve it?" Because, you know, that's just funny! Of course if you were there with the child you would try to help them as much as possible but this online competition is just as bad as gathering together in a toddler group and exchanging stories and maybe showing off photos on your phone.
And the kids will not remember any of it so they won't be scarred for life.

minkeycat Wed 01-Jan-14 22:59:18

I agree with people who think this is mean-spirited and more than that - it's incredibly disrespectful to children.

Would we do this to anyone else? Is it ok to do this, for instance, to old people? If not, why is it ok to do it to children? Would we like it if someone posted this sort of picture of us online? Why is there a different rule for children?

Yes, ok, parenting is difficult sometimes. But its our job to try to empathise with the fact that children have very strong emotional reactions to things, and aren't in control of those reactions. They are trying to communicate their needs and our job is to listen - not to take photos and laugh.

I think MN was wrong to get involved with this. And I don't think the gallery is 'rather wonderful' - just the opposite, in fact.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now