Reasons My Kid is Crying: Enter comp to win a meal for two at Heston's The Fat Duck

(109 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 25-Nov-13 17:24:54

For those who haven’t come across it, the hugely popular Tumblr, Reasons My Son is Crying went viral earlier this year. It all started when father Greg Pembroke posted pictures online of his three-year-old son, mid-tantrum, alongside the reason he was crying: He had broken his bit of cheese in half. Think AIBU for kids.

Within a week the original blog had featured on countless news, radio and television websites around the world. As people shared the blog, a community was born, and submissions started pouring in. In one month, the blog had received over 5 million hits – it is predicted to reach 14.5 million visits this year.

The book Reasons My Kid is Crying collects together the photos sent to Greg from parents across the globe, documenting the many, completely illogical reasons why small children cry. (‘I let him play on the grass’ . . . ‘We told him the pig says “oink”’ . . . ‘The neighbour’s dog isn’t outside’). But it is also a poignant reminder, for burned-out parents (and grandparents!) everywhere, that they’re not alone, and that not all toddler tantrums are tragedies - that it is, in fact, OK to laugh at the universal, baffling logic of toddlers! You can see a gallery from the book here:

Reasons My Kid is Crying.

We’re inviting you to send in your pics to show the irrational reasons why your child went into meltdown. Post up your pics (and captions) on this thread by 9th December and we’ll create a gallery of our favourite 10 pics. Each person who makes the shortlist will receive a copy of the book. The Editor at Boxtree will then choose a winning photo form the ten which will be announced on this thread on 11th December. The Winner will enjoy a Virgin Experience Days luxury meal out for two at Heston Blumenthal’s The Fat Duck restaurant.

We mentioned earlier the book reminds of us AIBU for kids - for inspiration, enjoy this mumsnet classic

Ladyshazzbot03 Tue 26-Nov-13 22:05:03

Crying because she didn't like her bouncer chair, but was only 2 days old!!

Ladyshazzbot03 Tue 26-Nov-13 22:05:21

Crying because she didn't like her bouncer chair, but was only 2 days old!!

sharond101 Tue 26-Nov-13 22:12:39

Because he only has two hands and yet has 3 favourite bath toys so cannot pick them all up at once.

because he had just had a bath in the hotel room bidet.

so, actually, perfectly reasonable grin

ITCouldBeWorse Tue 26-Nov-13 22:33:37

No pic, but dd cried because her birthday was in the summer, not November. Obv she was old enough to know her months by this point.

PurplePidjin Tue 26-Nov-13 22:37:53

No pic, but i spent an amusing hour when ds was 7 months old building up his stacking cups into a tower. He gleefully knocked them down... Then cried because the tower had been knocked over hmm

Faverolles Tue 26-Nov-13 22:48:01

No picture yet (but will probably manage one tomorrow, as this happens daily at the moment)

Ds cries because I won't let him lick the dog hmm

DS1 wants to make a big puddle on the bathroom floor
DS2 is unimpressed with the tattoos big bro kindly gave him
smile

FamiliesShareGerms Wed 27-Nov-13 06:43:36

I can't post online pictures of DD, but this week reasons for crying have included:

"My socks are wrong"

"My brother is looking at me"

"The apple is too red"

"The banana is too straight"

"mummy put the wrong water into the bath"

Never mind the ones where she has been explicitly asked if she wants to work or scoot to nursery but changes her mind five steps down the road...

zoet78 Wed 27-Nov-13 09:00:54

Why is he crying? Because the only thing he has on his christmas list is a blue dolls house and I mentioned casually that Father Christmas may not have blue ones.
Cue meltdown! Utter disbelief that I was suggesting Father Christmas couldn't rise to the challenge. 'But he's magic mummy?!'
Wish me luck on Christmas Day. I might have to get the blue paints out.......

LizMcW Wed 27-Nov-13 09:02:44

This is my son Rhys who started crying when i took his dummy out to take a photo of his outfit to show his Grandparents.

weenwee Wed 27-Nov-13 09:05:13

He wanted to feed himself, so we let him feed himself.

And that's why he was crying.

Sezzie78 Wed 27-Nov-13 09:28:02

I don't have a pic because she was in the bath but my daughter is crying because 'mummy is talking to the plumber!' we then spent about an hour reassuring her that there was no plumber and that mummy would never speak to him again!

zimbamummy Wed 27-Nov-13 09:31:40

Because mummy put me down in a swing for a few minutes instead of carrying me around all day.

Rooners Wed 27-Nov-13 09:35:19

Oh this thread is sad viewing.

I don't think I can read any more.

Also don't you think it might encourage people to think that their babies cry for no reason? Which isn't true?

sorry - humour fail from over here.

DS1 cried this morning because the Numtum chosen wasn't number 1.

I loved the imaginary carrot eating one, glad it's not just me doing imaginary things wrong.

Geniene Wed 27-Nov-13 10:29:30

Because I dared to mention 'nappy change', total melt down!

Rooners, do you really think people will encourage their children to cry for a meal at the Fat Duck? Seriously?

Kids cry for mystifying reasons at times, this is a lighthearted look at something they do anyway. Or am I missing a more sinister undertone?

Rooners Wed 27-Nov-13 10:42:16

No of course they won't. That's not what I am saying. But there is a culture that believes children (esp babies) cry for no reason - or no good reason - and though I agree that some toddler tantrums are laughable, there is always a reason behind it - and I think it is potentially damaging to encourage parents to think that babies cry for no reason because they don't.

If you've seen me on a controlled crying thread you will know my stance on this

anyway

Rooners Wed 27-Nov-13 10:43:03

Besides which I hate looking at pictures of crying children.

Is it just me - does everyone else think this is funny? It's like you've been framed or something.

Princesspond Wed 27-Nov-13 10:56:11

Just you, if you want something worth getting upset about look at the thread about the lost prophets man

CecyHall Wed 27-Nov-13 10:59:13

But people aren't saying they are crying for no reason- they are putting the reason with the photo

Rooners Wed 27-Nov-13 11:01:02

I have looked at that thread thanks. I know it isn't comparable and this is not intended to be upsetting.

But that is part of the reason I am finding it hard to see these images today.

sorry if that makes me an idiot, I'll get my coat.

Just you I'm guessing.

The thing is, kids DO cry for stupid reasons, I've seen my eldest go from the happiest boy ever to apparently most neglected, ill treated boy in a split second over something completely trivial. Should I give in to him on every occasion just so he stops crying? Sometimes (like the Numtums incident) there's nothing I can do anyway.

I admit I don't like seeing the pictures of crying babies so much but the reasons are amusing most of the time.

I honestly don't get what you're upset about. confused

Lalnugget Wed 27-Nov-13 11:24:32

Crying because she doesn't want to sit down and eat...wants to walk arounc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now