More stupidness from the pub at the back of my house

(51 Posts)
EasyMark Tue 24-Sep-13 14:51:27

Hi

Last bonfirenight i posted a thread about the pub having a bonfire and fireworks less than 25 meters from my livingroom. The South yorkershire fire service came on the thread and investgated so the pub took down the big bonfire and put all the wood into three oil barrels instead. The year before that the pub owner burnt my fence down and the fire service was called to put the fire out.

So now their newest stupid idea is to have two big dogs in their yard and use beer barrels as a wall to stop the dogs getting in my garden where my 1 & 4 year old play. Please see picture.

This has gone on for two weeks now so i dont think its tempary but no fence or wall has been put up. Its not safe, i want to get something done about it or AIBU?

EasyMark Tue 24-Sep-13 14:57:30

Try again to attach pic

why have they not replaced the fence that they burnt down. That is not a fence that is borderline fly tipping!

HandragsAndGladbags Tue 24-Sep-13 15:00:50

YANBU! That's terrible

ButterMyArse Tue 24-Sep-13 15:06:20

I remember your bonfire thread. What total morons!

Don't know what to suggest ... council?

EasyMark Tue 24-Sep-13 15:07:23

HI paid £600 for two guys to put up a 6 foot fence the pub burnt it down and replaced with inferier fence that broke and fell down before xmas in the wind. So they did replace but it fell down and we dont have money to replace again just for the pub to burn down again.

EasyMark Tue 24-Sep-13 15:11:35

They have two dogs living in that yard.

My ds could knock a barrle over and squish his little sister.

The dogs could jump up and knock the barrles on to my kids (im keeping kids in house but thats not fair as well).

HumphreyCobbler Tue 24-Sep-13 15:13:38

That is not on. Apart from the safety aspect, it is a total eyesore. I remember the bonfire thread. YANBU

CostaLady Tue 24-Sep-13 15:14:32

I remember your last thread and was absolutely horrified. They are just ridiculously stupid, aren't they? How anyone with such a massive lack of common sense can run a (presumably) successful business is beyond me.

EasyMark Tue 24-Sep-13 15:17:36

1 in 4 pubs close everyday, its been 8 years and im still waiting for this pub to go under.

adagio Tue 24-Sep-13 15:18:13

I remember your bonfire thread, and OMG that is crap. I can't remember if you are renting or own.

If renting, can you get the landlord involved, failing that do you have legal cover on your home insurance?

If so they often have a free phone line which you could call for advice. What springs to mind is that they did not put you back in the position you would have been had they not burnt your rather nice fence down (they put a crap one up). Possibly small claims court for costs of a 'proper' replacement. I would be surprised if this is particularly quick.

For the specific dog issue right now, I would be tempted to call the council for 'advice' questioning the health and safety aspects of their back yard (looks like fly tipping to me too!) and if they have any suggestions about the dogs as you are scared for your families welfare- they may redirect you to RSPCA or something like that but at least you have a ball rolling.

Then you could start making frequent complaints to environmental control about dog noise, dog mess, etc.

Good luck xx

MothershipG Tue 24-Sep-13 15:18:34

Does the pub landlord own the pub or is it part of a chain? Could you complain to the brewery? If not won't the local council get involved? Do you have a dog warden? My Mini Schnauzer could easily clear those barrels! shock Bigger dogs would have no trouble.

How about sending this pic to your local paper? Or threatening to, get the pub some bad press?

Hope it gets sorted.

GobbySadcase Tue 24-Sep-13 15:20:22

Dog Warden or Environmental Health at the council?

I remember bonfire night, they're idiots

EasyMark Tue 24-Sep-13 15:20:23

So do i contact
the rspca
the council (which department?)
The MP
Someone else?

iheartdusty Tue 24-Sep-13 15:24:20

go to citizens advice bureau as well. You could get a court order that compels the pub to replace the fence with a proper one and not to keep dogs in the yard until they do.

EasyMark Tue 24-Sep-13 15:33:28

Are they legal required to put a new fence up if they want to have guard dogs in the yard?

FruOla Tue 24-Sep-13 17:02:14

That sounds awful. I don't remember your thread from last year.

If you contact the Council - maybe Health & Safety and Environmental Health (or whatever the relevant departments are called)?

EasyMark Tue 24-Sep-13 17:17:01

I will call the council in the morning as its not fair that my kids cant go in their own garden for safety reasons due to the stupid pub owner.

shrinkingnora Tue 24-Sep-13 17:17:05

Barrels remain the property of the brewery. There is a company called Kegwatch that repatriates stolen barrels to breweries. The barrels there will have brewery name plates on them - they are worth £70+ vat each reconditioned so brewers will want them back. Kegwatch may well be able to help you. If you PM me a list of the breweries I will ring kegwatch for you and ask what they can do. If you don't want to be seen examining the barrels then make a note of the colour banding eg top green middle yellow, bottom black. Breweries can be identified from this.

shrinkingnora Tue 24-Sep-13 17:17:52

Sorry, then they will have to get a proper fence and it's all ammunition for the licensing authority.

EasyMark Tue 24-Sep-13 17:40:21

Hi
there are three with blue top then red, one with purple at top and one with cream in the middle. Some say tetley on it.
Does this help id them?

shrinkingnora Tue 24-Sep-13 17:55:00

Yep. Hang on a sec and I'll call them.

shrinkingnora Tue 24-Sep-13 17:59:54

Their phone line closed at 5pm. The number you need is 08081001945 they will be very helpful because they earn money every time they get a keg back to the right place!

shrinkingnora Tue 24-Sep-13 18:03:17

I really think the best move would be to contact the local licensing authority, they really do not take kindly to licensees being twats. If you cll your police local non emergency number during office hours and ask to speak to the person in charge of licensing they may help. Either that or your local council licensing team.

shrinkingnora Tue 24-Sep-13 18:05:02

Safeguarding of children is part of what they have to learn in order to be able to get a license in the first place. This is actively endangering children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now