NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Do you want to see my tarantula spiders?

(30 Posts)
hiddenhome Tue 10-Sep-13 17:55:13

Here smile

confettiwoman Sun 02-Feb-14 17:55:33

Why on earth did i click on this thread. Nightmares for a week.

could I ask why you have them? I mean....they're not affectionate, are they? Can you bond with them? I just don't get it. What kind of connection do you have with your spiders? (genuinely interested!)

Hidden, they're lovely. I'm a bit of an arachnaphobe, but only with "wild" spiders - tarantulas as pets just make me think of hamsters grin

I am so scared of them but wish i could overcome my fears. Do you pick them up?

Sunflower49 Thu 05-Dec-13 13:40:01

I think they're beautiful. I'd love to know more about them!

mummylin Wed 04-Dec-13 17:33:23

I held one once in a friends pet shop. It was fine until it sort of jumped off my hand and went on the flloor ! Then I was scared. But not normally scared of spiders as a rule. It looks a lovely creature though

mrsWast Wed 20-Nov-13 15:18:41

i hate spiders but these are lovely. do they bite? do they get used to you? how often do they shed?

moldingsunbeams Wed 20-Nov-13 15:05:41

I want one but dd has the biggest spider phobia sad

ghostonthecanvas Wed 20-Nov-13 14:56:56

Ffs. They are right there. On the thread........ grin

Spiders reduce me to tears. So do kids though and I have too many of them.

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 20-Nov-13 14:54:40

Aw they are beautiful smile

Lucky you!!

Ge0rgina Wed 20-Nov-13 14:53:41

Terrifying! haha

Mojavewonderer Tue 15-Oct-13 13:55:43

Ahhhhhh spiders!!
<Runs away screaming>

SisterMatic Tue 10-Sep-13 20:56:29

I am scared of them but I appreciate their beauty. I have never touched one, I think I would...so long as they didn't run towards my face.

hiddenhome Tue 10-Sep-13 20:50:32

They can get a burst of energy on, but they use hydraulics and not muscles to move their legs, so they have a limited amount of energy. They only run in the wild to get away from danger.

nothruroad Tue 10-Sep-13 18:44:56

Can I ask a tarantula question? Are they fast like house spiders? And do they move in the same horrifying way? I'm really scared of spiders and want to do an arachnophobia course but a lot of the ones I've read about use tarantulas and I'm not as scared of them as house spiders somehow.

hiddenhome Tue 10-Sep-13 18:38:34

Oh, honestly, they're pussycats smile They're not really like normal spiders. They just amble around in a fluffy, fuzzy haze and they're not fierce or anything. They don't even hunt, they just sit and wait until a cricket walks past then they grab it. They make carpets of web on the floor of their enclosures. They're really cute and each one is different.

GetStuffezd Tue 10-Sep-13 18:36:49

They are beautiful creatures but I couldn't even contemplate having them near me. Scared shitless of them.

hiddenhome Tue 10-Sep-13 18:36:20

I don't know whether you can see its eyes glowing on this picture.

hiddenhome Tue 10-Sep-13 18:35:09

For some strange reason, Albie has glow in the dark eyes confused

hiddenhome Tue 10-Sep-13 18:34:16

They eat live crickets. I keep two sizes of cricket as I have two small tarantulas.

Popcorn - Chilean Rose
Curly Wurly - Honduran Curly Hair - a little one
Smiffy - Mexican Red Knee
Albie - Honduran Curly Hair - sub adult
Snowflake - Brazilian Black - another little one

They are all friendly and can be handled, but I don't handle them much as I don't think they enjoy it really.

smile

WowOoo Colombia Tue 10-Sep-13 18:25:30

What do they eat?
Have you named them anything?

LEMisdisappointed Tue 10-Sep-13 18:23:38

Awww, those are very cute - am envy

hiddenhome Tue 10-Sep-13 17:59:18

and again

hiddenhome Tue 10-Sep-13 17:58:50

another one here

hiddenhome Tue 10-Sep-13 17:58:11

another one here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now