NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Globe cake.

(16 Posts)
AlpacaPicnic Tue 03-Sep-13 22:36:12

This is the finished cake...

AlpacaPicnic Tue 03-Sep-13 22:37:16

Here is another view...

Shallishanti Tue 03-Sep-13 22:37:23

impressive but....where's the southern hemisphere?

AlpacaPicnic Tue 03-Sep-13 22:38:40

This is the inside - but this was one of the test batches so it is a little under cooked...

Shallishanti Tue 03-Sep-13 22:38:53

aha! (Xposted)
TRULY impressive

(I did a solar eclipse cake once, she said, modestly)

Vatta Tue 03-Sep-13 22:39:24

Impressive! Did you use a tin or cut it into shape?

Vatta Tue 03-Sep-13 22:40:42

Oh actually I think I remember this, you were using 3 different sized moulds but somehow balancing one inside the other?

AlpacaPicnic Tue 03-Sep-13 22:40:49

Southern hemisphere?! Just the top half was hard enough smile

Here is the untrimmed version.

AlpacaPicnic Tue 03-Sep-13 22:45:24

Yes, three different 'hemisphere' bowls. In one of my practice runs, I found that the cake didn't cook properly so I ended up cooking the different layers individually and sandwiching them together.
The red and yellow layers were held together with jam and the yellow and 'white' beige layers were held together with lemon curd and butter cream.
Then I covered the base and globe with chocolate ganache, let it set in the fridge and then covered that with ready roll icing in the right colours!

AlpacaPicnic Tue 03-Sep-13 22:46:40

Sorry, ignore my manky old oven in the last shot! It broke down about a week before this, so I had to bake it all at my friends house!

AlpacaPicnic Tue 03-Sep-13 22:47:50

Sadly the recipient of the cake was a little 'underwhelmed' by it, so I didn't get any shots of the finished cake cut open sad

LadyBigtoes Tue 03-Sep-13 22:50:20

Wow it's cool, especially the "crust, mantle and core" geography textbook inside view grin

I would be tempted to use the same technology to do a giant eyeball cake.

AmberLeaf Tue 03-Sep-13 22:58:11

That is impressive!

AlpacaPicnic Tue 03-Sep-13 23:05:20

Thank you! Now I have the tins, I am going to try and make a 'Death Star' cake for DH as a surprise! Or maybe a Minion...

nannycook Wed 04-Sep-13 20:31:27

Alpaca, what do you mean they were underwhelmed? What was there not too like with all the work you put into it.

Ge0rgina Wed 20-Nov-13 14:49:09

Wow these are amazing! Would love to be able to bake things like this!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now