NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Va Va Voom should this advert be banned for being too sexy

(43 Posts)
perrymanku Fri 19-Jul-13 12:03:33

I was just browsing the Unipart Car Care Centres Facebook page and came across this post. I don't think this ad should be banned. I think it is very clever how the advert has been created. There is far worse being used in advertising that shouldn't be.

My husband loved the advert. I think in this day and age, people are more tolerant of all this.

Would love to hear what you think. it is the pinned post

https://www.facebook.com/UnipartCarCareCentres?ref=hl

I've seen it and read the ASA ruling on why they banned it.

They were right.

It was only on Youtube anyway and getting loads more publicity now it has been ruled on.

And it wasn't banned for 'being too sexy'

It had gratuitous nudity, close-ups of jiggling breasts. Why should we be more tolerant of women as sex objects, exactly?

RoooneyMara Fri 19-Jul-13 12:10:24

Is your husband the bloke who commented underneath it on FB?

how do you feel about that comment?

PoppyAmex Portugal Fri 19-Jul-13 12:16:14

There's a thread about this under Feminism topic - might shed some light on why we shouldn't be more "tolerant" about objectifying women (and make men look like primitive buffoons in one fell swoop)

The idea behind the advert is brilliant and it had me until it turned into prolonged tits, arse and thigh shots. Once again, our anatomy used to sell fucking cars. I can't believe how far we haven't come.

I wouldn't want to buy it, I can't get the image of the 'guy who mightn't be able to drive' (because of his boner or spunked in his pants?)

Your DH loved the advert. Well, that's the important thing, isn't it.

perrymanku Fri 19-Jul-13 12:30:25

I think everything needs to be taken into context. Obviously men love it but equally if it was a bunch of 'fit blokes' in the commercial women would love it as they would see it as eye candy. I don't know many women who would object to men being used in the same way.

I mean how many women go and see shows like the Chippendales etc

How many women do you know who have read the 50 shades novels, isn't that objectifying women and making them look like sex objects.

@RooneyMara yes it is and at end of day it is a harmless comment and a bit of banter.

Yes, the context is an advert for A CAR. A CAR. Did you confuse it with an advert for a BRA?

But there weren't loads of 'fit blokes' there, were there? As usual, there were three fairly inadequate and fully dressed blokes. Don't you get the discrepancy?

And even if there were loads of 'fit blokes' you need to put it into context too - objectifying men doesn't cancel out the objectification of women.

50 shades of grey is a NOVEL - were you aware of that? Its pretend, imaginary, a fantasy for adults and not objectifying anyone to sell cars.

I read the comments. Your husband is very witty, I can see that he is a brilliant humorist who loves a bit of banter. You must be very proud of him.

PoppyAmex Portugal Fri 19-Jul-13 12:44:29

Yes, perry there's a lot wrong with the world today and if you have to choose a cause to stand and fight for, it should definitely be the men's right to drool over semi-naked women in a car ad.

"Obviously men love it"

Erm... please don't speak for all men. Thankfully, DH (a very masculine, mature man who respects his wife, his DD, his DM and all women) wouldn't behave like the men in the advert or made comments like the ones on Facebook.

perrymanku Fri 19-Jul-13 12:46:03

Obviously a true feminist. Everyone has an opinion. PErsonally it is an advert at the end of the day. And yes I do know the difference between a CAR and a BRA. However, it seems you are happy for women to be objectyfying objects in a novel but in reality it is a no no

fit blokes don't cancel it out but they would still buy into the advert and see the funny side!

RoooneyMara Fri 19-Jul-13 12:52:01

I cannot engage with this dross

sorry

I hope so (preens)

Everyone has an opinion. I am offering mine.

It is an advert, yes, I am aware of that.

I'm not sure what you mean - but if you mean do I prefer figments of an imagination are objectified rather than real people then that is probably correct. I'm not sure why you believe the protagonist of 50 shades is being objectified however, but that's fine.

So your DH would still love the ad with fit blokes rubbing themselves at the car window? Cool.

I don't know many women who would object to men being used in the same way

Am I the only woman who feels creeped out by those women who oggle the lawn mower guy in that Diet Coke ad ? grin

But seriously. It works both ways and I think objectification is very different to empowerment/'getting with the times' and should always be challenged tbh.

SoupDragon Fri 19-Jul-13 12:56:12

I was just browsing the Unipart Car Care Centres Facebook page and came across this post

No you weren't "just browsing" it at all were you?

EatYourCrusts Fri 19-Jul-13 13:02:12

Come on Soupdragon, some days you are in a mumsnet mood, others, a unipart Facebook page mood.

RoooneyMara Fri 19-Jul-13 13:03:31

grin

SoupDragon Fri 19-Jul-13 13:04:25

It's more the fact that "she" was "just browsing" it a day after the comment apparently posted by "her husband"

SoupDragon Fri 19-Jul-13 13:05:07

Actually, this thread reminds me of one I've wanted to start about the ad for a local tyre garage near me...

I forgot casual objectification was funny. Hold on whilst I try and fake a laugh grin

IThinkOfHappyWhenIThinkOfYou Fri 19-Jul-13 13:07:31

It wasn't banned for being too sexy. It was banned for being hideously sexist. It was using women's tits to sell cars ffs! It's 2013!

perrymanku Fri 19-Jul-13 13:08:20

Soupdragon I came across it before my other half commented, in fact I suggested he take a look at the ad

@TheOrchardKeeper eyecandy is eyecandy......

@Thisisaeuphemism let me ask you if your best mate booked you a stripper for a hen do/birthday or another occasion would you not see the funny side? OR would you be feministic and walk out in disgust

using a bloke's body for entertainment is no less seedy than men doing it to women.

SoupDragon Fri 19-Jul-13 13:11:49

Like I said you weren't "just" browsing it.

Regardless, what are these "far worse things" being used in advertising?

IThinkOfHappyWhenIThinkOfYou Fri 19-Jul-13 13:12:28

I've never 'walked out in disgust' at a hen party stripper but I have 'quietly left the room' twice. One was a very close friend's hen party (who wasn't impressed with the stripper) and another was my SIL (who loves strippers but is not what you'd call a deep thinker).

I also don't drink diet coke and it's only partly because I can't stand artificial sweeteners.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now