Am clueless, please help

(11 Posts)
spg Sat 22-Jun-13 18:37:24

Thank you, * NeopreneMermaid *, it has taken ages or atleast feels like that..but, at least its done! Will look into Montblanc, i always thought that they were hugely expensive stuff.

Trills: I have moved out of the city and moreover, i think he possibly has all the bike-y stuff : pannier bags , multiple lights etc

WildThongsHeartString Sat 22-Jun-13 11:06:34

spb
They are quite traditional gifts here (in Scotland). I've seen them given on all sorts of occasions/ event marking as they have a generic meaning of shared friendship.
I just googled and lots of websites came up. Hope you get something either way, it's a lovely gesture from you.

spg Sat 22-Jun-13 10:43:16

WildThongsHeartString, : Quaish seems like a great idea;

A very quick Q if you don't mind,

Quaish will be ok to give to a teacher/professor/academic advisor ?
Just double-checking; Am not from UK and clueless abt whisky too;
So, just want to be sure.

Any more websites for Quaish that you can suggest?

NatashaBee: Any websites for whisky stones that you can suggest?

THanks a lot ladies

NeopreneMermaid Sat 22-Jun-13 10:42:32

What a lovely idea. My dad is a PhD advisor of similar age and a former student gave him a Montblanc pen (or possibly a pencil). He really appreciated it. I believe they're around that price.

And congratulations on your doctorate! smile

Trills Sat 22-Jun-13 10:40:24

If he is into his cycling could you go to a local bike shop, get a token small gift, and a gift voucher?

spg Sat 22-Jun-13 10:38:09

Thanks a lot for your messages;

I am not sure what his drink of choice is;
Also, he is hugely health conscious; Cycles to work etc So, a bottle of something isn't an option..And is anti-leather etc too, which rules out a few other options

So, am still looking...

Whatalotofpiffle :
Saw a clock on notonthehighstreet.com made from a bicycle wheel..but, it is 90 + GBP and wondering if its worth that money

Thanks a lot WildThongsHeartString and NatashaBee: I need to get something for my second supervisor and the scottish+whisky theme will be very appropriate for him ;-)

NatashaBee Fri 21-Jun-13 00:38:09

I was also going to suggest something whisky related. Maybe some whisky stones as well?

WildThongsHeartString Fri 21-Jun-13 00:34:58

What about a quaish? Maybe with a bottle of Malt if appropriate?
like these

(A quaich is a traditional Scottish cup with two lugs (handles), known as a symbol of friendship. Frequently given as rewards, prizes and celebration gifts)

BOF Fri 21-Jun-13 00:28:57

What is the subject area? I remember buying my Carbbean Studies teacher a packet of rum fudge as a thank you for being especially helpful.

Whatalotofpiffle Fri 21-Jun-13 00:25:46

Have you tried www.notonthehighstreet.com lots of great ideas

spg Thu 20-Jun-13 17:45:10

I need to buy a gift for my PhD advisor;
My budget is around 100 GBP;
He is 65-ish

After trawling a few websites, my head is spinning..
Though I know him for almost a decade now, it is a very formal work relationship. And so the gift needs to be appropriate for that sort of a thing.

He has been extremely helpful and i genuinely want to say a big thank you, rather than going through the ritual-token-gift sort of a thing.

Any ideas, ladies, please

PS: I couldn't figure out the best topic to post this in (if someone knows a better option, pls tell me, i'll try and repost it there);

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now