My son's day job

(18 Posts)
hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Tue 16-Apr-13 20:00:19

He's 21, has Aspergers and is a falconer (well, it's good to put your obsession to use)

Tee2072 Tue 16-Apr-13 20:09:29

That's really cool!

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Tue 16-Apr-13 20:21:51

And this is Suki. (DS's other passion is photography)

LegoAcupuncture Tue 16-Apr-13 20:22:33

What an excellent job!

HazeltheMcWitch Tue 16-Apr-13 20:24:50

Has he always been 'into' falcons / birds ?

LynetteScavo Tue 16-Apr-13 20:24:52

Yes, very cool indeed!

Milliways Tue 16-Apr-13 20:26:27

Wow!

toomuch2young Tue 16-Apr-13 20:43:58

Fab pics and great job!

BohemianWrapsForTea Tue 16-Apr-13 20:44:37

Wow, the lucky thing! What a fantastic job smile

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Tue 16-Apr-13 20:59:25

Hazel his first obsession was Thomas the Tank Engine but it was quickly replaced by birds of prey, by the time he was 5 it was all he would talk about. He does like the smaller feathered friends too but isn't anywhere near as knowledgeable about them. He is interested in setting up a small sideline in nature/birds photography and i think he has quite a talent. This ladybird picture is his work too.

Aw, fab - we went to a birds of prey place in the Easter hols and it was amazing, so much better than any of us (especially DH, heh) expected. Some of those birds really kept their handlers on their toes - I loved the owl that went out for a fly though, it was windy and it kept getting buffetted about, poor love.

lifeishunkydory Tue 16-Apr-13 21:04:43

I love the ladybirds. Is it a paid job for him? I am so worried about DS1 at the moment, he has had to drop one of his a levels as he was really struggling with it, despite getting good grades at the subject at GCSE. This means his lifelong career hope is out of the window, and as is the case with ASD, he is now struggling to think of anything else he would want to do.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Tue 16-Apr-13 21:18:24

Yes, life it's paid work, he's in full time employment. It is tough for kids with ASD, is your DS getting any career support from college?

HazeltheMcWitch Tue 16-Apr-13 23:27:07

Blimey, imagine being able to work all day long with your great passion, that you've had since 5yo! Well done him.

lifeishunkydory Thu 18-Apr-13 20:05:01

It is so tough hell, just as they seem to have "grown into" the fact that they have ASD the big bad world comes knocking on their door and they have to face up to life as an adult, I find it so sad if I think about it too much, most of his childhood and teenage years have been spent battling with anxiety over social interaction.
He doesn't seem to get much help re careers at college, in fact his move from school to sixth form has been really disruptive, he had a statement for 30 hours a week at school, as soon as he went to 6th form they told the lsa he only needed 3 hours a week! Grrrr

jojane Thu 18-Apr-13 20:12:58

Ds1 was obsessed with Thomas up until last year, he's now 6 and obsessed with space and wants to be an astronaut! He is currently being assessed for aspergers and I have read that something like 80% of people working for NASA have some form of aspergers/ autism etc!!

BOF Thu 18-Apr-13 20:14:42

I remember him getting that job! How fabulous that it's going so well smile.

harbinger Fri 19-Apr-13 21:59:50

I remember that. I also knew a falconer and didn't know how the wife put up with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now