Explaining the sugar addiction

(9 Posts)
Spidermama Sun 17-Feb-13 17:39:41

Moondog! You still here then? How nice to 'see' you. When was your child diagnosed and how are they doing. Ds1 was diagnosed at 6 and he's now 13 and on a pump. It's pretty major for the whole family.

moondog Sun 10-Feb-13 17:54:55

This is a very interesting lecture on sugar by Robert Lustig, an endocrinologist

I have bought his book too. Fascinating.
I'm really interested in this as I have a child who is a Type 1 diabetic but massive implications for us all.

(How are you Spidermama? Haven't seen your name come up for a long time.)
smile

BIWI Sun 10-Feb-13 17:50:39

Spidermama - all sugar is essentially the same in this regard so yes, fruit sugar will have the same effect

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Sun 10-Feb-13 17:35:06

If anyone's interested, there's a website called Radiant Recovery, based on the theories in a book called Potatoes Not Prozac.

The book explains the sugar 'highs' and 'lows,' the theory being that people addicted to sugar are basically attempting to self-medicate - seeking the 'highs' to give them a lift or just get them though the day, but struggling with the mood swings and fatigue of the corresponding lows.

I've only looked briefly at the website, but I read the book years ago and used it to wean myself off sugar - lost weight as well.
Fell off the wagon over the last few years but I seem to be getting back on track again now.

Spidermama Sun 10-Feb-13 17:28:44

Right that's it. I'm giving up sugar for lent. Does fruit sugar count?

herecomesthsun Sun 10-Feb-13 17:25:51

Apparently there is a "fat" component to taste.

timidviper Sun 10-Feb-13 15:14:42

Good slide BIWI, it's helpful to see it put that simply.

I wonder if there's any explanation why the foods we crave are often high sugar and high fat at the same time? Think of the most addictive, binge-inducing foods like chocolate, ice cream, doughnuts, etc they are almost always high fat as well. I wonder if the fat is relevant or a red herring and it's all down to the sugar?

TheElephantIsADaintyBird Sun 10-Feb-13 12:36:49

Ooh that's interesting. Just been talking to DP about my sugar addiction, neither of us realised it was possible to get addicted to it, this explains it all very well.

BIWI Sun 10-Feb-13 08:02:14

For all those Bootcamping (and anyone else who is interested!) this is a brilliant visual of how sugar keeps us addicted and makes us fat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now