NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Please come and support the MNHQ Men in their hairy Movember challenge. Can you tell who's who? (pics and EVERYTHING!)

(166 Posts)
RebeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 01-Nov-12 12:00:29

Hello.

The menfolk at MNHQ are going all hairy to support Movember and raise money for research into prostate cancer and testicular cancer.

And we hoped you might want to join in by following their increasingly hirsute progress, lobbing them hair-follicle-stimulating virtual biscuits and maybe even donating a quid or two.

Today's the day it all sprouts starts, so we're going to post up the names of all the contenders and then post up pics of their clean-shaven chops - but not necessarily in the same order.

And then invite you to match the pic to the name, just for a bit of a larf.

OK, so the names are:

DarrenMumsnet - the one who sorts stuff out and shaved his whole beard off to take part

ShamTech - the creator of PMs, gawd luv him

Tech - the original Tech, who built MN from nuffink

GeorgeTech - the latest Tech in the Towers

PeterNotaTech - he's actually an architect but he shares an office with us

PatrickMumsnet - runs Mumsnet Academy and has Leonardo DiCaprio tendencies

Can you match the chin shot to the MNHQ Man?

Do have a go - and we'll let you know if you're right.

moondog Thu 01-Nov-12 15:49:49

What deos 'raising awareness' actually mean?
It's an expression that is bandied about frequently.
How will some bloke growing a moustache change things?

Pinot Thu 01-Nov-12 15:52:45

The more people who "do" Movember, the more people talk about Movember, the more people find out it's to get people talking/thinking about mens cancers, the more men check their balls and the more men over 50 go to a GP and get their PSA levels checked in a simple blood test.

The overall aim is to get men with hidden/unaware cancer to get treatment.

As such, it's pretty fucking awful that it's being criticised.

SoupDragon Thu 01-Nov-12 15:54:07

How will someone bleating on about sponsored events being rubbish change anything?

moondog Thu 01-Nov-12 15:55:36

How do you know this happens Pinot though?

I'm sure you know what 'raising awareness' means moondog and it is the churlishness addling your mind. As it happens, I'm with you on the fecking Kilmanjaro jollies, but as this is just the facial fungus equivalent of pinning on a poppy, I don't see the harm?
Plus you get to snort at the feeble growing efforts of your colleagues. Win/win.

Pinot Thu 01-Nov-12 15:58:00

This is a really sensitive topic for me, for reasons I've explained above. I'm going to leave this now.

Cancer is fucking horrible and everything and anything that can be done to get rid of it, SHOULD be done to get rid of it.

Over and out.

SoupDragon Thu 01-Nov-12 15:58:28

"Hi, Brian! Why are you growing moustache?"
(laughs) "I;m growing it for Movember"
"Movember, what's that?"
"It's a sponsored event to raise money and awareness of prostate and testicular cancer"
"What a great idea! I must go look at that."

Not rocket science really.

moondog Thu 01-Nov-12 15:59:41

SD.That may be the rationale but how do yuo know this is waht happens?

SoupDragon Thu 01-Nov-12 16:02:49

Because I am not thick.

SoupDragon Thu 01-Nov-12 16:04:20

You are being deliberately obtuse, Moondog, and it is rude and inappropriate.

Could this discussion not be moved to another thread entitled 'AIBU to think Movember is bollocks (see what I did?)?', so as not to piss on the chips of the lads at MNHQ and their facial follicles, people who ARE interested and people who hold this cause very dear?
I think it's a bit crappy to be doing it here tbh. Put it somewhere else and then people can hide it.

Welovecouscous Thu 01-Nov-12 16:05:47

There are men at hq shock

Maryz Thu 01-Nov-12 16:14:42

Moondog, don't you think your posts are inapproprite on this thread, particularly as you must have read Pinot's post, and the posts of others affected by these diseases?

If you want to have a go at charity fundraising, there is a whole board out there for you to start a thread on.

Maryz Thu 01-Nov-12 16:15:16

Whoops, delayed post there. And "inappropriate", it should be.

Which it is angry

AWimbaWay Thu 01-Nov-12 16:46:24

The more awareness the better!

Will we get to judge the winning moustache?

I do like a good moustache competition, emphasis on the word 'competition'.

DyeInTheEar Thu 01-Nov-12 16:48:08

My DH did this last year. I could not stop snogging him. His bushy 70s / Mexican moustache was strangely appealing <irrelevant>

Well done MNHQ movember lot. Men don't talk about this nearly enough and it's a great way to raise awareness and £££.

Goodness tough MNHQ, all this doing pictures is setting a worrying precedent for Fanuary, no?
Will you be following through?

THOUGH, not tough.

Tee2072 Thu 01-Nov-12 17:17:42

Why is the last one upside down. Suspicious

I have no idea which is which. I would have no idea even if I knew what they looked like.

And I think it's a fantastic idea.

I wish my husband would do it.

scaevola Thu 01-Nov-12 17:19:25

Hang on KeemaNaanAndCurryOn - there's such a thing as a moustache comb!?!

WorriedBetty Thu 01-Nov-12 17:19:29

In MNHQ men are techies, and women manage chats grin

moondog Thu 01-Nov-12 17:37:05

I apologise for offence caused.
I am however interested in how the notion of 'raising awareness' translates into increased cancer detection rates for example (to say nothing of offsetting the cost of the huge publicity campaigns that no doubt run to raise said awareness.

I am in a profession that also sounds off about 'raising awareness' but I have yet to see little evidence of what effect all the tea parties/marches/jumping out of helicopters/bridge knitting/bra wearing has.

I would hope that seeing as this seems to be some sort of semi official thread, saomeone could come up with some facts and figures.

Of course there are moustache combs. grin

Tee2072 Thu 01-Nov-12 18:02:02

WorriedBetty, there is ColetteTech as well. I doubt she's growing a moustache. grin

AnyFucker Thu 01-Nov-12 18:02:38

moondog, you're a bundle of laughs, aintcha

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now