Need a duvet that won't make hubby sweat!!!

(14 Posts)
taegsmum Tue 11-May-10 14:13:54

Sorry if this is a bit explicit blush but my hubby gets really sweaty at night, the humidity in our room goes up as soon as he comes to bed and the hair on my head even gets damp by morning! I notice this because some nights he falls asleep on the couch and I end up having a very good, non-sweaty night's sleep with nice straight hair in the morning! grin

Can anybody recommend a breathable yet warm duvet as we have very different duvet needs confused My hubby obvsiously gets very hot and sweaty at night and needs a breathable duvet and I like a duvet that will still keep me warm. I have heard microfibre duvets might be a good option but would really like other mn's experience on this one!

dexter73 Tue 11-May-10 14:21:57

You need a duvet like this that has a lower tog for your dh and a higher tog for you.

Sonilaa Tue 11-May-10 15:58:35

two single duvets?
IKEA have very cuddly 6 tog ones (for my dh), I have a very cuddly 13 tog one.

Doodleydoo Tue 11-May-10 16:03:38

Sleep is really important - infact I would suggest a very low tog goose down one if you can stretch to it! We have this problem and it has worked so well - although it was very costly to start off with - think we got one from John Lewis - they are more expensive but it has worked miracles. Infact we bought one that could be split but have never used the heavy tog one so complete waste of money. In summer also we use a sheet with it.

SoMuchToBits Tue 11-May-10 16:05:59

I would say get him one that isn't too high a tog, but that has a 100% cotton cover and natural filling (down, not microfibre).

I always get completely sweaty if I use a duvet with a synthetic filling. Natural ones much better. But even better are cotton sheets and wool blankets!

abdnhiker Tue 11-May-10 16:10:16

We've a wool one from the white company and it breathes so much better than synthetics. My DH is like a radiator but i do put an extra wool blanket on my side of the bed.

brimfull Tue 11-May-10 16:22:25

apparently silk duvets are the dogs bollocks

Kiwiinkits Thu 13-May-10 03:01:58

Hear hear to the natural fibres suggestion by SoMuchToBits. I always get sweaty if I am surrounded by synthetics. Make sure your sheets are 100% cotton too.

We tried out one of those latex mattresses not so long ago. One of the really expensive, dog's bollocks ones. And it made me sweat like no tomorrow. So, I'd check out your mattress too, because your DH may be reacting to that. Foam mattresses are the absolute worst, IMO.

Cheerio.

SparkyToo Sat 15-May-10 14:56:19

Definitely go for a lower tog natural duvet, such as goosedown or silk, as suggested by SoMuchtoBits and ggirl. If they cost more than you are happy to spend, or you are allergic to down - go with silk (as naturally nonallergenic), or go for a duvet with a filling of microfibre mixed with a natural fibre, eg this cashmere touch duvet which also contains wonderfully breathable Cashmere wool.

piprabbit Sat 15-May-10 15:02:58

Also if your DH is making the bedding damp, and you want to wash the duvet itself more often try these Spundown duvets which fit in a domestic washing machine.
I've successfully washed my Superking 4 seasons (one half at a time) at home and dried it quickly on the line.

SparkyToo Sun 16-May-10 22:45:33

My boys actually have Spundown duvets and they are incredibly easy to wash (perfect for my 2 little bedwetters!!). Dry amazingly quickly too.

Jacko100 Wed 23-Jan-13 11:24:53

you could try a two zone duvet, they call them partner duvets were you can have one side at a certian heat level and the other a lower level try: www.bedlinendirect.co.uk/bedding/His_and_Hers_Duck_Down_Partner_Duvets.html

treesntrees Wed 23-Jan-13 17:56:32

Absolutely agree with kwilinkits. I'm stuck with a tempur mattress which is great for my Arthrites but as I am one of those unfortunates who carry on hot flushing after the menopause I've had to try many combinations of bedding so as not to wake up sweating. My current combination is, mattress, coolmax cover, cotton duvet under cotton fitted sheet, cotton sumer weight duvet in cotton cover with a wool rug for extra cold nights, plus a fairly firm pillow so my head doesn't sink into it. This combination seems to be working at the moment as I am actually sleeping for 6/7 hours after years of waking every couple of hours.

BananaPie Wed 23-Jan-13 20:21:28

I can recommend this one:
http://www.cosycool-allseasonsduvets.co.uk/

It's the only duvet you'll ever need because you can adjust each side independently for summer and winter. Pricey but worth it !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now