KARNDEAN - how much does it cost roughly?

(23 Posts)
WildThong Sat 14-Jun-14 22:51:03

Karndean and Amtico both come in many different ranges and qualities. I had Karndean laid in my kitchen, utility and dining room 3 years ago and it is still like new. There is a special cleaner and a finisher which gets applied yearly (same as Amtico I think) and it brings it up brilliantly. Apart from that a quick mop once a week is fine.

Parrish Sat 14-Jun-14 22:47:11

I have Karndean. Just 6 months old. No end of problems. Guarantee isn't worth the paper it's printed on. Customer service terrible. 6 weeks to get a karndean person to visit and inspect problems. Avoid.

oneperfectlimousine Thu 12-Jun-14 16:54:05

You can get free samples from their website, and I think places like carpet right might have the prices. I thought it was really expensive tbh and wasn't amazed by the samples I got. It did look easy to clean though.

kansasmum Wed 11-Jun-14 20:45:30

Think we paid about £35 sq m 6 years ago when we had Karndean fitted in hall and downstairs loo. Has been brilliant- survives 3 dogs, buggies, teens and even though I don't use karndeans recommended cleaning products it's looks like new.

I love mine and wish, wish, WISH I had it installed in the kitchen instead of the travertine tiles we have!

D4C4C8 Tue 10-Jun-14 21:01:02

As an FYI:
We have had Kardean Rustic Kauri flooring for 2 years and have had no problems. This includes abuse by two teens and two German Shepherd dogs.

My inlaws have had a lighter maple floor by Kardean in their Kitchen and Dining rooms since 2003 and it has stood up so well that they added the flooring to a third room last year.

JLH0502 Sun 12-Sep-10 20:57:18

The floors could be good, BUT BEWARE: the sample you see in the retailer may not be what you actually get fitted. Karndean change the finish and coatings on their products which causes the floors to have very different textures and appearances from the samples you used to choose your floor.

We ordered a Karndean floor after trying various samples in the room first. When the floor was fitted it had a dull finish and a "grainy" texture. It marks easily and quickly shows signs of use. It looks like the floor hasn't been finished properly. We raised the issue with Karndean, who refused to even acknowledge any issue, but simply informed us that a new PU coating had been applied that was not on the sample we had seen and that they "reserve the right to change patterns/textures without prior notification"!!!

So, if you want to guarantee that the floor you get is anything like the one you order, don't buy Karndean.

DecorHate Mon 29-Mar-10 09:18:49

I've had both Amtico and Karndean and agree that Amtico is far better quality

canucktraveler Sun 28-Mar-10 16:02:34

Amtico and Karndean are designer vinyl flooring products

ExplodingBananas Sun 28-Mar-10 14:37:55

What are these products, are they some sort of laminate?

canucktraveler Sat 27-Mar-10 21:57:15

My DH is a flooring contractor and he would recommend Amtico over Karndean always. It has more designs, is better wearing and the quality is better. Although it can be more expensive, he does say that you get what you pay for.

SugarSkyHigh Sat 27-Mar-10 21:50:33

Have now decided to go for wood floor! fitter says that you pay for the product rather than the fitting, and I don't mind a bit of wear and tear showing on it because our house is never going to look like a show home, it's a messy busy family house. Great to see all the different views....

notcitrus Sat 06-Mar-10 20:37:28

useful - we have amtico in the bathroom and it's been great for 4 years (although the 'slate' effect had a lot more copper brown in it than in the sample, which I'm not crazy about).
Was looking this morning for similar warm-underfoot tiles for new bathroom - we want Edwardian-style black+white checks with a border. Amtico's certainly the best-known brand as Karndean and Polymel and others seem to not get many hits.

And all flooring websites are flash-laden uninformative monstrosities.

So, are there any cheaper alternatives to Amtico, or is it worth splashing out on it? The cost of the tiles is OK, it's the fitting costs... confused

cece Sat 06-Mar-10 10:49:53

Amtico is what we have. A better product according to my fitter. We paid about £22 m2 from an online shop. simplyamtico I think.

LadyThompson Sat 06-Mar-10 10:43:55

Sorry to anyone who has it but my MIL has had it in her conservatory (a sort of dark brown really unconvincing mock wood) and it looks absolutely gopping. Maybe other effects are better....Anyway, I think you need to see it 'in the flesh'...

Ivykaty44 Sat 27-Feb-10 21:18:54

amtego floors - they are much better - not sure of the price though. I went out with a carpet/amtego fitter and he has done some fantastic work, map of the world into the floor etc

sanfairyann Sat 27-Feb-10 21:16:57

really like ours but we've not had it that long. having said that, whatever we have usually needs replacing after 7-8 years anyway so if it lasts that long I'd be happy enough. think price ranges from 20-50 depending on quality. there is a copycat product that is a lot cheaper but sadly i can't remember what it's called. apparently its the same

somanyboyssolittletime Sat 27-Feb-10 21:14:52

We have it and think it's great - 2 small tears where I have dropped and smashed heavy dishes (bit clumsy!). I thought it was around £45/m2, but I think there are different price levels.

CMOTdibbler Sat 27-Feb-10 21:14:15

I think it looks lovely, and I do know people in RL who have it and really like it - but haven't had it that long.

I think we will still go with tiles in the bathrooms though, but may ask more about it

SugarSkyHigh Sat 27-Feb-10 21:09:06

CMOT - what do you think of it? thanks for the £. It's just odd they don't have a rrp on the website.

It IS supposed to be fantastic but CantSup's experience can't be good ....

CMOTdibbler Sat 27-Feb-10 21:06:28

We've just been looking at it - 20 quid a square metre apparently

SugarSkyHigh Sat 27-Feb-10 21:05:06

Full of dents and holes! I am having second thoughts already. Other MNers have raved about Karndean - maybe they haven't had it for 6-7 years tho.???

CantSupinate Sat 27-Feb-10 19:41:02

I've read you can get it for much cheaper on Ebay (but under a different name, you need to research). It's not that great, ours is full of dents and holes! Only 6-7 years old, too.

SugarSkyHigh Sat 27-Feb-10 19:35:14

I have emailed my 'local retailer' who has contacted me to suggest coming round to give me a quote /show me some samples, which sounds great in theory, but I don't want to fall in love with it only to discover it costs ££££££££££thousands! There are no prices on their website. Can anyone enlighten me? TIA

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now