Can I machine wash a jellycat soft toy?

(23 Posts)
Tiggy33 Sun 03-Feb-13 10:18:58

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

sparkle12mar08 Fri 01-Feb-13 20:59:02

Bollocks. Zombie thread.

sparkle12mar08 Fri 01-Feb-13 20:58:36

Ds1's jellycat sheep goes in on a standard 40deg wash & spin about every three months. I can't imagine washing a toy less often than that, very unhygenic. It's always come out fine, btw.

AntimonySalts Fri 01-Feb-13 09:12:22

I've washed Jellycats. Though I even stick the children's school trainers in the washing machine and tumble dry them, so I am not necessarily a source of washing wisdom.

Tiggy33 Fri 01-Feb-13 09:11:13

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

SleepyFergus Fri 21-Oct-11 17:40:29

Delicates wash, then dry in airing cupboard overnight. Wouldn't recommend spin dry bit of cycle, it can muck up their insides!

Pandsbear Fri 21-Oct-11 13:47:50

I agree, most of these things wash - though might not be quite as soft and fluffy as they once were after a few spins round the machine. But what's the choice?!

halcyondays Wed 19-Oct-11 17:21:56

Lol at spa days! Dd2 as a Hello Kitty which is filthy but says sponge clean only. Do you think it would survive a delicqte cycle? A lot of our soft toys come from Ikea and are reassuringly machine washable.

Sorbetballs Sun 16-Oct-11 22:32:20

lose

Sorbetballs Sun 16-Oct-11 22:31:42

The bashful creatures do Ok but eventually go a bit matted and loose that supersoft plush feeling... but then some sick probably has the same mattifying effect.wink

FessaEst Sat 15-Oct-11 11:36:59

I have put several of DD1's jellycat toys in the wash. I try and put them inside something eg pillowcase - they have always been fine.

Sleepyspaniel Wed 12-Oct-11 22:57:12

Put it in a pillowcase knotted at the top to help protect it.

Having said that, you don't actually have any choice now do you, if it's that grotty, and has sick on it, it's either wash it successfully, or bin it. Simple as that. I am the same over anything that needs washing or has stains on, (mine or DD's). Have spent too long angsting over things like this in the past before realising, THERE IS NO ALTERNATIVE.

harsh mommy

Fuchzia Wed 12-Oct-11 22:40:42

Put DS's slackjack bunny in with whites on a normal 40 by mistake it is much less fluffy but still intact

TrenteSix Wed 12-Oct-11 20:01:41

I do it on 40 deg, 1200 cycle. ABsolutely fine.

Movingtoofast Wed 12-Oct-11 19:57:37

I've just washed my daughter's white jellycat sheep on a 40 degree wash and dried it in the tumble dryer on my usual cycle. Who has time to "surface wash and blow dry"? It needed a deep clean anyway as I've been wondering how best to clean it for a year! It's as good as new. Top tip: don't use conditioner in the wash - i think it leaves a soapy residue.

MyMamaToldMe Fri 11-Dec-09 15:13:58

I've washed my DD's jellycat cat on 40 degree regular cycle and air dried it, and it lived to tell the tale.

IMoveTheStarsForNoOne Fri 11-Dec-09 15:10:33

yes... as with most of DS's toys, they get so smelly and revolting that it's a choice between the washing machine or the bin. So far everything has survived!

claire88 Fri 11-Dec-09 15:06:33

i have a jellycat monkey who goes in the machine no problem - shortest cycle though for delicates )

titfertat Sun 06-Dec-09 14:17:12

I machine wash and then dry on the radiator. I don't think you're supposed to wash them but it's done no harm!

badietbuddy Sun 06-Dec-09 14:07:33

Yep, I wash ds's cat all the time. Agree about a gentle 30 degree wash, then I leave him on the airer inside

PerArduaAdSolInvictus Sun 06-Dec-09 14:06:43

I've done it with a small one, on a 30 degree short wash, and then tumbled on the low heat setting to fluff it back up. So far so good - but you might need to get another just in case.

Anifrangapani Sun 06-Dec-09 14:06:40

dd's Jelly Cat to goes for regular "spa" days in the washing machine.

philbee Sun 06-Dec-09 14:05:13

My daughter's much-loved Jellycat Bashful Bunny has every reason to be bashful these days - it is pretty stinky and repulsive. Yesterday she was sick on it, so it's time to take action. We have substituted emergency replacement bunny with success, and I need to try to clean the original.

Does anyone know whether you can machine wash Jellycat soft toys? I can't find instructions on the label, and the only thing I can find on the internet says to sponge with soapy water, which hasn't worked for other grubby toys in the past.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now