Drying laundry on the Aga. Has anyone invested in the airer?

(21 Posts)
NotanOtter Tue 08-Sep-09 20:35:48

and is it worth it?
We are finding the aga great for drying our vast quantities of laundry but i am thinking the airer may be a practical step up from this

Is it worth the 60 quid ( ish i think) it costs and where did you buy yours please. I seem to only be able to find them on ebay

Thanks

EldonAve Tue 08-Sep-09 20:55:25

what do they look like?
my mom has a sheila maid above hers

NotanOtter Tue 08-Sep-09 21:23:58

they are ugly actually quite bulky
cannot do sheila maid due to kitchen design Eldon

will find pic

NotanOtter Tue 08-Sep-09 21:25:10
perdu Tue 08-Sep-09 21:38:55

I use an ordinary airer in front of the aga loaded with washing - would prob fit more on and is alot cheaper. Once I load it up and shut the kitchen door overnight washing is dry by the morning.

Also put 'smalls' on the lids and enamel.

HTH

NotanOtter Tue 08-Sep-09 21:56:55

thanks perdu!

bit squashed up between aga and island for an airer

EldonAve Wed 09-Sep-09 10:38:40

I found these which are slightly different

the ebay one says the feet might melt which seems a bit worrying

perdu Wed 09-Sep-09 20:53:05

I can't afford either I am afraid....pour all our dosh into keeping the four oven thing going.....

NotanOtter Wed 09-Sep-09 22:16:07

thanks eldon that looks a great alternative

perdu i dont find it that costly to run plus can keep the heat off as kitchen is most lived in room and cosy

i almost think it is saving us money right now

dikkertjedap Thu 10-Sep-09 09:22:25

Hi - we got one and I find it great. Apart from using the dryer (bought it in the Aga Shop) we also put laundry on the simmering plate (with lid closed of course), a few times I put stuff on the hot plate (lid closed) but if you leave it slightly too long (blush) you end up with nasty scorching marks which I didn't manage to get out. I agree that the AGA airer is expensive and if I had more space I would have bought one of those airers (made of wood or metal brackets with line, not specifically for an AGA)which you hang above the AGA. However, even with the drier I have I have saved a lot of money on electricity for the tumbledrier, so all in all I am very pleased with it. It folds away when not in use, but is still quite bulky.

dikkertjedap Thu 10-Sep-09 09:30:17

Perdu - you mentioned that your AGA costs a lot to run. Sometimes that can simply be due to it needing a service (some parts might need replacing) or what might also help is adding AGA additive when the Oil tank is filled. Many but not all oil suppliers are able to do this, costs about £30 per 1 litre bottle per 1000 litres of oil. We were advised that it makes the AGA run more efficiently and is also ok for an oil fired boiler. However, it is very important that the additive is added to the oil tank during the tanking and not afterwards because it can solidify (becomes kind of wax which can block pipelines) so it has to mix properly with the oil (some suppliers mix it with a bucket of oil and then add it to the tank). We have our AGA serviced once a year and always have additive added and it is very efficient (it is a very old AGA).

perdu Thu 10-Sep-09 18:52:04

great thanks, BUT our aga is LPG!

NotanOtter Thu 10-Sep-09 20:10:46

fantastic dikkertjedap

which one did you buy please..was it one of the ones mentioned on here

aJumpedUpPantryBoy Thu 10-Sep-09 20:34:55

We've got a ceiling pulley one that gets used all the time and also a double metal stacker that sits over the aga.

NotanOtter Thu 10-Sep-09 20:53:43

what make is the double stacker ajumpeduppantry boy?

Please please don't put anything near the hot plate lid - a friend aired her pillow on her aga, picked it up to put back on the bed but the stuffing had overheated and melted, dripping awful melted plastic onto her legs giving her severe burns.

Pielight Thu 10-Sep-09 21:07:26

Well more fool her tbh. I dry stuff on both lids all the time - v. good for that ironed pillow case look.

Can't help though NOA, as also use normal clothes drier in front of Aga, as well as heaped up hanging over the rail.

Will you link to the one you get? That grid that goes over the top looked good, but pricey?

NotanOtter Thu 10-Sep-09 21:09:28

i do drape the whole thing all the time but just think it could be more ordered...

i have also dried 20 pillows in the warming oven ( overnight) since having the aga (11 weeks)

i like to make it pay its way!

NotanOtter Thu 10-Sep-09 21:09:44

i will link pielight

aJumpedUpPantryBoy Fri 11-Sep-09 21:36:08

It was this type

AgaMum Wed 09-Jul-14 14:45:05

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now