Is TROFAST worth it?

(27 Posts)
Sheeta Sun 12-Jul-09 20:32:50

Want to get some good storage for DS's room, many little toys and trofast looks perfect. Want 2-3 low units to go under his window, but can only find the combinations online.

Any advice/words on the subject?

All the individual bits are cheap, but like everything in ikea, once you've got all the bits you'd like, it'll cost a fair bit.

HELP!!!

lou031205 Sun 12-Jul-09 20:49:21

We have 2 of the tall units in our lounge & it has been fantastic. So easy to keep the DC's toys organised.

MumHadEnough Sun 12-Jul-09 20:51:28

Yes they're fantastic. We have the stepped ones that go down like 3, 2, 1 kind of thing if you know what I mean. We have two of those, plus two of the single ones that are the same height as the highest bit of the stepped one if you know what I mean.

They are just soooooooooo great for keeping things tidy. I highly recommend them. Check on Ebay for some selling near you and this will also give you ideas for what is available.

Ds has a 'step' one too in his bedroom. We went for white rather than plain wood.

It's the most useful storage item in both my 2 dcs rooms.

He had 3 deep trays and the rest are the shallow ones.

Each tray holds a certain type of toy e.g. cars, playmobil, animals, tv characters, soft toys, large vehicles, etc. The laso has a large basket on top of the lowest shelf and then uses the two other tops for bionicles/gogos that do not have a tray.

Ds' bedroom is the most easy to tidy because of the Trofast.

paddingtonbear1 Sun 12-Jul-09 21:20:50

yes. We have 2 of the tall units in our dining room (which is currently the study/play room). They do fit quite a lot in! Seem pretty durable too.

Washersaurus Sun 12-Jul-09 21:25:30

Why can't I fit all our stuff in ours then? grin The boxes seem to be overflowing and I have to leave a tray out to space them out so it all fits in.

I think maybe I need another entire unit.

Ds has a cabin bed too.

All big stuff goes under there and curtains closed on it, lol.

He also has 2 other shelf units for books and other crap toys.

Washersaurus Sun 12-Jul-09 21:36:07

<adds to shopping list: 1 tall trofast storage unit, 2 cabin beds> grin

CarGirl Sun 12-Jul-09 21:38:14

my only regret is that they didn't do white when I bought the frames and they didn't do white boxes in all the different sizes either!

I don't like the multicoloured look that we have but other than we've had them 7 years and they're still in use, recently bought lids too to keep the dust out.

PigeonPie Sun 12-Jul-09 21:45:04

We love them too. DS1 has got five of these and one of these in his room with a variety of different sized boxes and shelves which fits all the Duplo and quite a bit of the Playmobil in (the large stuff goes on top). We'll then transfer some of the stuff to DS2's room when he gets a bigger room and DS1 gets into small Lego.

At the moment we've got some in the sitting room too to try to keep things vaguely under control.

Washersaurus Sun 12-Jul-09 22:37:00

OMG 6 units!! shock

I have storage envy. There was I trying to cram everything into one of the tall units and wondering why it didn't all fit.

Hmm although I don't think we actually have room to put any more around the house....

DottyDot Sun 12-Jul-09 22:40:17

Yes!! Ds's share a room and we got 2 of the step shaped Trofasts for their room - they each have 1 deep drawer + 3 shallow I think. They're fab and store the vast majority of their crap toys. It's made life much easier in terms of tidying up and with not too much effort you can see the floor shock.

Love them and want to get another couple of units for under ds1's cabin bed.

PussinJimmyChoos Sun 12-Jul-09 22:40:38

Trofast is fab! We have one for DS in the living room and at the end of the day we can just tidy everything away within minutes! IKEA really do seem to hit the nail on the head with storage needs

PigeonPie Sun 12-Jul-09 22:41:20

Sorry! He's very lucky to have a long room (wouldn't fit a double bed) but it's fab for a small boy as his bed is at one end and his toys are at the other! Goodness knows what we'll do with DS2's room though grin

dreamteamgirl Sun 12-Jul-09 22:54:07

Oooh, I hadnt seen that before, but it looks ideal. I am about to put DS' wardrobe into spare room for au pair- he doesnt use it anyway, and thought somestorage crates in a tower would be ideal. This is almost made for the job!!

Thanks

5inthebed Sun 12-Jul-09 22:59:30

I love Trofast. DS1 and DS2 have them in their rooms, and they are a godsend!

Bleatblurt Sun 12-Jul-09 23:13:54

I have the trofast boxes but they are in the expedit frame. I didn't like the trofast frame plus you get different colours for the frames with expedit (and loads of sizes).

There's a pic in my profile of it.

I love ikea. grin

KDD2009 Mon 13-Jul-09 11:35:22

Love Trofast ... so easy to sell on when you are done.

Sheeta Mon 13-Jul-09 20:00:26

Thank you all, going to Ikea tomorrow.. they look brilliant and can't wait to have everything organised!! (saddo )

dreamteamgirl Wed 15-Jul-09 18:15:20

Butterball please tell me that your child's bedroom doesnt always look like that?!

Great pic- what are the things on top that look kinda like big McDonalds happy meal boxes (not that DS EVER has Happy meals shock smile of course) smile in blue and red? They look really sweet

ThingOne Wed 15-Jul-09 18:34:27

We have a playroom full of trofast. It's great and our DSs can get to their own stuff easily, and put it back. It's not that lovely to look at but it's really practical. We have two three-wide units fixed on top of each other, and then a stepped unit joined to the "other way round" unit (the same height at the tall bit of the steps) by means of a hanging rail. This has the dressing up clothes on.

Bleatblurt Wed 15-Jul-09 18:37:00

Dreamteamgirl, if I took a photo now you'd think an explosion had gone off in there! grin

The boxes on top are wooden boxes from Mothercare but I don't think they do them anymore.

Meglet Wed 15-Jul-09 18:40:41

The Trofast boxes in my dc's rooms are all labelled so we know what toy goes where. It does make tidying / organising toys much easier.

Fizzylemonade Thu 16-Jul-09 19:06:44

Thank god it is not only me, the conservatory my son's playroom looks as neat and tidy as Butterball's does, at the end of every day.

We have trofast storage in variety of sizes, all the tubs are labelled (printed and laminated) grin Anal? Moi?

My sister once asked me what could possibly be in the "miscellaneous" tubs as I seemed to have everything covered blush grin

They are a god send, have large ones for dinosaurs and another large one for cars/planes etc small ones for paper, pencils/crayons/felt tips etc

My sons are 6 and 3 and know where everything goes. They are worth the money. We have the small ones so they use them to lean on and sit on.

Did you get yours?

Sheeta Fri 17-Jul-09 09:11:47

Resounding thumbs up for Trofast then! grin

I've got the boxes so far, going on Monday to get the frame (couldn't fit it all in the car last week!)

Think I'm getting this one for DS's bedroom (but maybe just 3 wide if I can get the single units) and one of these for downstairs (sick of the stupid bottomless pit that is the toy box)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now