How can I keep my wheelie bin maggot free?

(38 Posts)
ohdearwhatamess Tue 09-Jun-09 14:00:50

This problem plagued me last summer, and has started again. <sigh>

Fortnightly collections. We are avid recyclers and composters, so what goes in the bin is nappies (double bagged), plastic packaging, and meat leftovers. All in black bin bags, not thrown straight into the bin.

I clean the bin out straight after it has been emptied with bleach and water, and throw in some Jeyes yellow granules that are supposed to keep it fresh and lovely.

And yet still the maggots come by about day 10.

The council tell me that it is impossible for maggots to get inside the bin if the lid is shut, which is nonsense on my experience.

booyhoo Tue 09-Jun-09 14:29:54

this is just a mad guess but, you know the stuff that keeps flies away thats in candles? well can you get that not in candle form? ie liquid or spray and put it in the bin to keep them from laying? again, just a mad guess, i dont know what im talking about.

TBCoalman Tue 09-Jun-09 14:33:22

We have this problem. I do what you do, also line the bin with wheelie bin liner and secure very tightly. Some maggots still there, but at least thrown away with rubbish, not left in bin for me to empty.

Have just got a waste disposal unit for non compostable leftovers, so hoping this will make a difference.

ohdearwhatamess Tue 09-Jun-09 16:23:13

Both great ideas - thank you.

TBC - where do you get the wheelie bin liners from?

Any more ideas welcomed.

beanieb Tue 09-Jun-09 16:24:39

Do you have pets?

I think my maggots come from flies which lay eggs on the cat food and then gets thrown in the food waste bin.

CMOTdibbler Tue 09-Jun-09 16:26:08

Get a bokashi bin - then all your meat scraps and other waste food/organics that can't be directly composted will go in the Bokashi and thence to the compost bin.

No maggots in our wheelie bin !

Jux Tue 09-Jun-09 16:35:11

Regularly throw Vim in.

LovelyRitaMeterMaid Tue 09-Jun-09 16:36:20

We have a bin cleaning compay come once a month and clean it. It's about £3 a clean which I think is pretty good.

moshie Tue 09-Jun-09 16:47:07

Spray it regularly with fly spray and make sure the lid is kept closed.

ohdearwhatamess Tue 09-Jun-09 16:48:59

Will look into Bokashi bins.

I do have a dog but he eats dry food only and every last scrap of it, so I don't think he's the source of this particular problem.

ohdearwhatamess Tue 09-Jun-09 16:50:08

Have tried fly spray (albeit only when the first maggot rears its ugly head) and haven't had much success.

TBCoalman Tue 09-Jun-09 16:50:37

Wheelie bin liners from tesco. But you need to remember to unsecure them on bin day, or they stay in bin all slimy and maggoty.

moshie Tue 09-Jun-09 16:55:05

No, don't wait to see maggots, you want to kill the flies that lay the eggs. It's a preventative measure.

TheProvincialLady Tue 09-Jun-09 16:59:53

Please tell me this only affects people whose bins are only emptied fortnightly? We have never had maggots (yet). We are vegetarians though - do they particularly like meat?<vom>

GrendelsMum Wed 10-Jun-09 15:57:00

We've never had maggots in our black bins, and I don't know anyone else that has - the only thing I can think I do differently to you is that at the beginning of the fortnight, I tend to bag up the raw / meat scraps before I then put them in our bin bag. We never ever clean our black bin.

It seems odd that you're getting flies inside your bin to lay their eggs - is the lid slightly chipped anywhere?

(In fact, we can put meat and fish into either green or black bins, so in Cambridgeshire you still get a weekly collection of smelly stuff, but I don't put it in the green bin and always put it in the black.)

What a colleague of mine does is to put all the meat and fish scraps over the course of the two weeks in a couple of ice-cream tubs in his freezer, and then empties them out into the bin when he puts it out. Because he's so eco, and we have this option in Cambridgeshire, he saves up all his meat scraps to go in the fortnightly green bin.

Hope that's some vague help!

GrimmaTheNome Wed 10-Jun-09 16:23:26

Odd. Its sometimes struck me that our wheelie bin is remarkably un-pongy, given that I never clean it and, apart from the various non-recyclables, it contains bags of dog poop. I have always assumed this is simply because the lid works to keep out flies.

It does occur to me that the one thing that never goes into our bin is raw or cooked meat scraps - they are first processed by the dog (welcome additions to his normal dry food). Perhaps dog poo is just a lot less attractive to flies than meat. Maybe you should try it - your dog is unlikely to object to being a waste processor!

Starbear Wed 10-Jun-09 16:57:10

We can put meat in the food recycling. Could you contact the council about this? If you have what did they say.

JohnnyTwoHats Wed 10-Jun-09 17:05:07

I have never had maggots either. I think as others have said it must be to do with flies getting in so I would look at whether the lid is always closed or if you have a hole.

JohnnyTwoHats Wed 10-Jun-09 17:06:14

Or (this has just occurred to me) maybe the flies are laying their eggs in your kitchen bin before you transfer it to the wheelie bin- is that possible? Do you have a bin that flies can access in your kitchen?

ohdearwhatamess Thu 11-Jun-09 13:34:03

Thank you all for these ideas. Really helpful.

The idea that the wheelie bin might have a hole, chip, or other entry point is an interesting one. I will examine it in detail next time it is empty.

The problem is exacerbated, I'm sure, by the fact that the bin has to live on the sunniest side of the house. The only other thing I can think of is to keep another bin at the back of the house in a shady spot then transfer the contents on bin day. Bit of a faff though (albeit less so than de-maggoting a bin grin)

Pretty sure the kitchen bin isn't the sources of the problem. It would be dripping in maggots if it was. I've never seen even a hint of fly or maggot life there (thank goodness).

Grimma - it is more chicken bones, fat trimmed off meat etc, than actual 'good' meat (which does get eaten). The stuff I can't/won't give to the dog, however much he'd like it.

We can put meat waste directly into our brown recycling bin (also only collected fortnightly), wrapped in one layer of newspaper. We tried that last year, when the council introduced this, and we had flies and maggots in that bin too within days.

Love the idea of freezing the waste but, sadly, only have a small freezer that is always too full.

TBCoalman Thu 11-Jun-09 14:34:32

Hmm, our bin is in direct sunlight too.

BusyBeeWithThree Thu 11-Jun-09 16:25:37

We have maggots too wondered about this loos an excellent idea but expensive...

BusyBeeWithThree Thu 11-Jun-09 16:26:22

I meant looks blushgrin

oooohhhh I wish we had a wheelie bin so I could have one of those!

The bokashi thing looks good!

Starbear Thu 11-Jun-09 19:44:02

Our council collects landfill every two weeks food and recycle stuff every week. I would mention this to your council.

GrendelsMum Thu 11-Jun-09 22:36:13

Can you put the meat in the brown bin one week and the black bin the next, so the meat's being collected weekly?

Could you take a scientific approach to this and identify whether it's the meat that's the problem by not eating meat for a couple of weeks, and seeing whether you still get maggots in your bin? At least that way you'd have narrowed down the problem more confidently.

GrimmaTheNome Thu 11-Jun-09 22:50:46

We don't bin our excess fat either (other than salty bacon rinds) - that goes on the bird table. As DH has an aversion to chicken, we don't have much food waste that can't go to dog, birds or compost worms.

Maybe rather than an alternative full-size bin in the shade you could get a smaller sealed container there just for the food waste - accumulate waste plastic etc as usual in the wheely and then transfer just the foodstuffs on bin day?

ohdearwhatamess Fri 12-Jun-09 08:45:56

LOL at fat on bird table idea. Dog would have that within 5 minutes.grin

Meat in brown bin attracts flies/maggots within 3 days, iirc from last year. Black bin, where stuff is bagged, doesn't get them until about day 9/10.

beardydad Fri 12-Jun-09 13:33:09

What we do is to bag up the meat/really smelly waste in a carrier bag and on the next walk we do drop it into a normal bin e.g bus stop etc.
Our bin is 2 weekly collection too, and to date there's been no maggot action.
Plus you can kid yourself the carrier bag is from a lovely picnic you've just had, and is therefore not full of rancid meat and some ripe nappies!

lljkk Sun 14-Jun-09 08:38:18

Do you double bag your meat/bones leftovers?
I only put out our black bin about once every 4-6 weeks (we are slow to fill it) and we don't have maggots, either, or even much of a pong. I've never, not once in 5 years, cleaned the black bin, either.
But I double bag most everything (using waste bags, btw, like cornflake bags, I have never bought any sort of plastic bag to put waste in). And I tie the bags up tight.
I'm 99% sure I even put maggoty bird carcass into our bin a while back, and still didn't notice flies or maggots afterwards.

How can you know that you've got maggots unless the bags are ripped or sitting open for you to peer into when you open the lid?

ohdearwhatamess Sun 14-Jun-09 14:31:04

lljkk - it starts with an isolated few around the rim of the bin, and within a couple of hours the bin is absolutely dripping with the things, crawling all over the insides and the outside. Tis horrible.

The rubbish in black bags is double bagged.

I don't think they're necessarily getting at the meat waste (or inside the bags, although I scan't rule it out), but it is the fact that the smell of meat and poo attracts them to the bin.

LisaStAlbans Thu 25-Jun-09 16:21:03

The Binifresh is "not available" on Lakeland site Also throwing away pressurised cans every 3 months is probably not that Eco? hmm

Going to try everyone's suggestions though ... can't face a whole summer of maggot filled Green bins ...

beardydad Fri 10-Jul-09 12:44:38

I just got medieval on ours with lashings of boiling water, some liquid disinfectant and a long handled broom.
All the black gunk has now gone, and I presume, the binflies too.
Shame I trod in catshit whilst tipping out the rank water, so now have to clean my trainers...
Bin's clean though!

FigmentOfYourImagination Fri 10-Jul-09 12:46:38

rofl beardy

I pressure wash mine with a load of disinfectant once a fortnight (every each collection). It still gets maggotty though [barf]

notamumbut Fri 24-Jul-09 17:56:52

Sorry- I'm not a mum, but do have this problem

I'm fighting with the same problem. I clean bin with bleach after collection but still get the problem- I am convinced the biggest problem comes from discarded cat food- you can see the fly eggs on the left over food (small white spots, often in clusters)- they seem to make a flyline to catfood over other things.
Double carrier bags haven't helped, or fly spray. Remember that carrier bags have those air holes in now to stop children suffocating so maggots can climb out when hatched- (I'm not sure if the occaissional sacrifice isn't too high a price to pay tover all of the maggots though wink )

My bin is in the sun so gets very hot which compounds the problem- same rubbish went in at the last house and the problem was nowhere near as bad where the bin was not in the sun. Unfortunately there is no where else to keep it.

I move the bin on collection day, open the lid and by the time the binmen come they aren't crawling all round the lid- the maggots don't seem to like it- at least it doesn't look so bad.

Anyhow since there seems to be no real easy fix or solution I'll try:
- Jeyes fluid. Used for cleaning outside drains- it was the stuff used to disinfect the bird flu virus H5N1.
- keeping it separate from the other rubbish and seal it in bags with no air holes.

I don't think they will sort the problem, but may help reduce the issue. If/when that doesn't work I'll map out the local council bins (and dog poop ones- is it a fineable offence putting things other than poop in them?), put the cat food in them and see if the maggot infestation goes. I bet there's a big reduction.

I don't often feel sorry for council workers but I do for the guys emptying bins crawling with maggots. Horrible for us but what about them?

Anyhow, thanks to all the posters, shame there wasn't a reliable easy solution.

Philfy Tue 11-Aug-09 15:12:19

booyhoo The stuff you are referring to is citronella, we have already tried this but it seems to have little or no effect, our wheelie bin suffers from this even using it, tying our bin bags securely and using one of the fly zappers, similar to the ones used in commercial properties and still we get maggots.

lovebiscwits Sat 08-Sep-12 11:05:13

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

TirednessKills Sat 08-Sep-12 12:55:26

Lovebiscwits - I expect OP to have solved her bin problem now. This thread is 3 years old!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now