How to get mould out of clothes??

(18 Posts)
BCLass Fri 05-Jun-09 23:25:26

A vest and some trousers of DDs (blue cotton jersey) accidentally got left damp and now have black mould spots on them. Have scrubbed with bio and washed on an intensive cycle with more Bio, but no good!

Is there any way to get this out? Any product I can use?

Am pretty hopeless with this sort of thing.

Help?!?

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Fri 05-Jun-09 23:27:00

I don't think you can. Mould is a spore, like a fungus. I'd throw them to be honest.

BCLass Fri 05-Jun-09 23:29:31

Nooooooo! I don't want to throw them - they are lovely organic cotton! I have f**ked them haven't I? sad

think its flash, may be a different brand(sorry not much help) do a mould and mildew remover, designed i think more for bathrooms etc. i bought it in desperation after leaving my maclaren in the shed and after trying EVERYTHING else suggested, now my buggy looks as good as new!

just spray a little on and leave for a bit, then wash, repeat if necessary, its fab stuff and it didnt stain the buggy fabric at all. sorry i cant remember the brand but its green liquid inside a spray bottle.
hth

jasper Sat 06-Jun-09 00:13:25

soak it in a basin of water with some penicillin dissolved in

KiwiKat Sat 06-Jun-09 00:37:40

I had a bad mould problem on our curtains, and soaked them in 1 part bleach to 4 parts water. Worked a treat, but may be too harsh for your clothes.

dittany Sat 06-Jun-09 00:41:36

Try soaking them in vinegar which is an anti-fungicide.

jasper Sat 06-Jun-09 00:47:33

I was kidding

LOL@ jasper! I believed you then!

jasper Sat 06-Jun-09 01:57:23

I half believed myself!
Worth a try? grin

kitkat9 Sat 06-Jun-09 12:55:40

what GG said - I did this too with my buggy - sprayed it onto wet seat padding, left it to soak for a while and washed in the machine - think I used Dettol Mould and Mildew removal spray. It came up perfectly.

I had previously soaked it in white vinegar, btw but it didn't work.

With organic cotton, I would test a bit first just to make sure - however, the clothes are ruined anyway even if the spray doesn't work, iyswim...

BCLass Sat 06-Jun-09 20:29:00

thanks all - will blitz with dettol mould & mildew - I have nothing to lose!

Pannacotta Sat 06-Jun-09 21:27:20

If you cant get rid of the marks you coudl always dye the clothes a dark colour, dark blue/purple maybe?
Better than binning them since they are good quality.

nappyaddict Sun 05-Aug-12 00:49:56

I know this is an old thread but just thought I'd say Pannacotta what a brilliant idea. I was just about to chuck one of my favourite shirts of DS cos it got left at the bottom of the wash basket when I thought I'd emptied it and went mouldy. I can just dye it another colour!!

Am going to try bleach and mould and mildew remover first though. I have heard borax works too.

nappyaddict Sun 05-Aug-12 00:52:31

I wonder if Nappisan or Milton might work?

GranToAirMissiles Sun 05-Aug-12 01:08:47

IME you have to persevere with these things - try lots of different treatments, and lots of hanging out in the fresh air and (fingers crossed) sun. Putting in the freezer overnight might help, too.

lizziebach Sun 05-Aug-12 13:08:49

Use bleach on mould and mildew and dry outside if possible as the sunlight will bleach them further, dont let them dry until you have got the mark out sufficiently as once they have dried they wont come out not matter what. I recently had mould on some bedsheets (didnt do a mainanence wash on my washing machine for far too long) and it took five washes with lots of soaking in bleach to get the stain out before I would let it dry. It did come out but it didnt look like it was going to at first. So if after the first wash with bleach its not gone I'd try again.

nappyaddict Sun 05-Aug-12 17:15:55

Thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now